Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: AVENGERS vs JL

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    An arrow isn't an instant killer in most cases and if she retains consciousness, she can warp the attack away. Can she warp away something like an infinite mass punch at light speed into her head? If it hits, I don't think so unless she has set up some out of physical instantiation consciousness, like an astral body able to use her powers.
    From the scene I assumed he intended to pierce her heart. The closest example I was remembering of is the renegade Doctor from The Authority, who was getting his head punched off by Apollo and was still able to reform and whup the guy. But even if Scarlet Witch's powers operated on a bigger scale, assuming she could replicate stuff from pastiches from a different universe, maybe operating under different rules, might still not sit well here.

And about her powers "only" operating on a planetary scale, wasn't there tie-ins and stuff during House of M showing her powers affected alien civilizations too?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    From the scene I assumed he intended to pierce her heart.
    Even if you are shot right in the heart and you never successfully pump blood to the brain again, you will still have seconds of conciousness. If your entire body explodes into a red mist, there are no pathways for your brain to transmit whatever electrical impulses mean eliminate the JLA.

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMoniker View Post
    Even if you are shot right in the heart and you never successfully pump blood to the brain again, you will still have seconds of conciousness. If your entire body explodes into a red mist, there are no pathways for your brain to transmit whatever electrical impulses mean eliminate the JLA.
    If you get shot through the heart the intense pain and the shock to the body will easily override any coherent thought. And she’s be dead 2 seconds later.

Astonishing Member

Just Sentry as the most reliable Avengers powerhouse against more bog standard Justice League members already showed he's hella dangerous just as a corpse. Spoilers for the last Strange issue.

The final villain in that series was dead Sentry's body animated by a hundred million screaming ghosts put in him by the villain Blasphemy Cartel group (Bob's actual spirit/psyche is MIA from the mysteriously vacated at the moment Valhalla he went to). Even looking like a zombie wearing a torn costume, he was so powerful he forced Death Harvestman Strange and Sorcerer Supreme Clea to merge into a cosmic being just called Strange. This Strange was powerful enough to cast "as an afterthought" a piece of magic that was said would normally require a Sorcerer Supreme "hours of preparation, endless deals with outer powers, the consumption of magical artifacts". The spell was good enough to track hundreds of Cartel henchmen across their exploding base, teleport them to safe locations across the world, mindwipe from them their memories of being Cartel members/implant false memories of who they were and what they were currently doing, and it's also heavily implied the spell warped reality locally, which is the only way it makes sense to me the spell was supposed to give these villains a new chance at life instead of just throwing them and their communities into confusion (we see a teleported henchman being given a full change of clothes by Strange to make him look like a random civilian yelling he's running to catch a bus instead of running to escape death looking like a supervillain goon). And what's also impressive is Strange came up with this spell quickly enough that even when the base was already exploding badly enough to throw running people off their feet, everyone there was saved.

And the thing is, Sentry was stated to be a match for this Strange, and it showed. Strange could react to him but not outright overpower him. Instead he cast a spell to unbind the ghosts inside of him which caused the Cartel to lose control of his corpse.

From a Rumbles perspective I liked how this comic addressed how faster Sentry was than Clea and Strange in order to wipe the floor with them as just one reason for it (which they only alleviated through the power-up, see above how quickly Strange cast the evacuation spell) and how the Cartel boss bragged about how their Sentry (called Revenant Prime) didn't have a mind to trick anymore.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Tag for spoilers is *spoil* and */spoil*. Just replace the * with [] brackets. ^_^

Hilariously, the ability to come up with spells on the fly spoilers:
    comes more from the Clea aspect of the Strange-gestalt, as she is shown to have done similar things in the series before; indeed, she designs and casts a complex spell on the fly in front of the Harvestman (Stephen) and he basically drops his jaw in shock at how she manages it. Due to the powerup and no-doubt thanks to some of Stephen's skill the Strange-gestalt can pull it off with like...a snap of the fingers, basically, but a whole whack of the talent/ability to do that is Clea's.
    end of spoilers

The series is pretty solid in how it presents Clea as being at the least Strange's equal, overall. Maybe not as skilled as him in some ways, but certainly more skilled than him in others - which is how it should be in a good relationship, equals but different.

...in truth, the series is pretty good at presenting them that way in any number of ways, including philosophy and overall outlook on life...Stephen is fairly gentle towards many of his enemies, by comparison. I'm curious to see if Clea insists on maintaining her status as Warlord of New York, given that Umar living in Antarctica appears to be status quo, now.

...I'm finished my fanboy tangent now.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Tag for spoilers is *spoil* and */spoil*. Just replace the * with [] brackets. ^_^

Hilariously, the ability to come up with spells on the fly spoilers:
    comes more from the Clea aspect of the Strange-gestalt, as she is shown to have done similar things in the series before; indeed, she designs and casts a complex spell on the fly in front of the Harvestman (Stephen) and he basically drops his jaw in shock at how she manages it. Due to the powerup and no-doubt thanks to some of Stephen's skill the Strange-gestalt can pull it off with like...a snap of the fingers, basically, but a whole whack of the talent/ability to do that is Clea's.
    end of spoilers

The series is pretty solid in how it presents Clea as being at the least Strange's equal, overall. Maybe not as skilled as him in some ways, but certainly more skilled than him in others - which is how it should be in a good relationship, equals but different.

...in truth, the series is pretty good at presenting them that way in any number of ways, including philosophy and overall outlook on life...Stephen is fairly gentle towards many of his enemies, by comparison. I'm curious to see if Clea insists on maintaining her status as Warlord of New York, given that Umar living in Antarctica appears to be status quo, now.

...I'm finished my fanboy tangent now.
    Adding to your fanboyisness: I really enjoyed the Clea as Strange arc, and have cautiously high hopes for the future with both of them back and alive and whatnot. Granted, it has to be cautious, as we've all been burned before, but...
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Adding to your fanboyisness: I really enjoyed the Clea as Strange arc, and have cautiously high hopes for the future with both of them back and alive and whatnot. Granted, it has to be cautious, as we've all been burned before, but...
    Now why'd you have to say that and remind me that writers these days tend to fall back on the most shallow stuff?

[Next Author] I must create drama and romantic tension...wait, I have a genius idea! 'Clea and Stephen break up again' and 'Stephen loses his magic and must find new magic'; much groundbreaking, surely before now never done!
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Now why'd you have to say that and remind me that writers these days tend to fall back on the most shallow stuff?

[Next Author] I must create drama and romantic tension...wait, I have a genius idea! 'Clea and Stephen break up again' and 'Stephen loses his magic and must find new magic'; much groundbreaking, surely before now never done!
    Well, I'm hoping to reverse jinx it: claim it will happen to ensure that it doesn't. It's like bringing an umbrella with you when you leave the house: there is no surer way to guarantee a rain-free trip than that.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member

Well at least we won't hsave to worry about that for a bit, since the next Dr. Strange series is being written by the same guy that wrote Clea's series

It makes me hopeful it will establish a new canon that might linger for a few years.
    Why are we here?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    If you get shot through the heart the intense pain and the shock to the body will easily override any coherent thought. And she’s be dead 2 seconds later.
    That is not empirically true. For example: https://www.police1.com/officer-safe...y86axRN55pvP8/

Other examples are plentiful of folks taking similarly damage and staying in the fight.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    what defenses has Sentry even against high end soul manpulation or speed force shenanigans of even faster characters?
    Sentry's serum capabilities (including officially being called a reality warper in an Avengers spin-off description of the guy not long ago) were initially stated to be time-related enough to question a traditional Flash-statuefying. And massively blitzing the mega-durable and hard to kill Sentry guy just with physical power has been even more questionable over the years. Even as an animated corpse carrying residual energies last month, it was treated as impressive how Harvestman Strange wearing a Death-forged scythe was unable to do more than superficial damage to Sentry's arm, and unable to make him drop his hold on Sorcerer Supreme Clea.

And spiritually, besides the fact Sentry originated from much more Weird Science style comics only to be used as a powerhouse villain in two different Strange runs now, it's been shown in the Cates Strange run the Void can move around and possess other people like civilian Strange independent of Bob/Sentry, and in Annihilation Scourge it was shown the Void could operate as an independent villain even while the Silver Surfer merged with Sentry's body to create another character.

Basically I feel like fighting just Sentry by now requires a lot of power, a lot of multi-tasking, or likely both at once.