Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Mine as well. It's simply maintaining practices so commonplace they don't even always register as problematic. Once it's recognized and policies/practices are changed, you can hopefully start to work it out of the system. That's the basic idea anyway, from what I recall of those classes.

I'm obviously not saying anyone should respect the sexist opinions that shaped Diana's history. But all the stories and characters that made us love her are part of that same history. We can respect the character's journey and what she's grown into without condoning the sexism that played a role in shaping it, or allowing that attitude to continue. We can respect the work by good creators and the world/s they built. Do right by her with quality stories and strong roles in major events, put quality talent on her. That's what will drive the remnants of sexism out of the franchise, not saying she can bench press as much as somebody else.

Yeah them and everybody else. DC's heavy handed editorial happens to everyone. Remember the stories during the New52 that came out of the Bat office? Nightmarish. DC has absolutely screwed over Diana more than the others, and they definitely struggle to understand her more than the rest, but we can't lay the blame for that entirely on sexism either. Once upon a time, yeah obviously it was. Not even all that long ago really. But a lot of it now isn't sexism, it's just basic incompetence. That's worthy of its own derision, but not the "sexism" label.

And what's inherently sexist about Diana being stronger than every other hero on the planet, all the men included, except one? We know the people who originally made the choice were sexist yes, but the idea that there's one person stronger than her and it just happens to be a dude, on its own, isn't. It'd only be sexism if he was stronger *because* he was male. That was the case, then. Is it the case now? Is DC, now, really saying Diana's not stronger only because she's a woman? Because I don't know if I buy that. And if Diana's not #2 now because of sexism, then why is it a problem?

Because in real life you can get rid of the people, change the policy, and start fresh (again, just simplifying for discussion). You can't do that with these characters. Change your policy, hire quality people of diverse and varied backgrounds and opinions, do all the right things at the office, and you still have characters shaped during less enlightened times. Seems to me we don't fix that just by saying Diana has better stats. We fix that by doing a better job of writing the character. The video game style semantics of power ranking is an illusion. Everyone at DC gets a crown to wear, "best at X" and otherwise it's just narrative. Diana's always as strong/fast/durable as the story needs her to be. Her strength level isn't a problem, it's when her strength level is handled poorly because she's a woman that it becomes an issue.

Clearly I've always come down on the "spiritually" side of it. Marston started off with the idea to call her Suprema or however he spelled it, and likely intended a 1:1 basis when he first started, but since Diana ended up with skills, resources, and powers Clark didn't have, and he had things she'd didn't, I'd guess everyone settled on the idea of "different but equal." So that's the approach I take with her. I'm less interested in whether she's exactly as strong as some guy from a totally different franchise and more interested in seeing the unique elements she brings to the table used to their fullest. I demand that she be equally capable, not that she do all the exact same things the exact same way.

Which was what, twenty five years ago or more? Back when Berganza was still kicking around? Assuming my memory is correct and DC did put actual effort into rectifying their poor choices, Phil would've been long before that. Unless this is a more recent development I missed? In any case, it seems DC changed their mind on this and embraced Diana's "best warrior" crown. They went overboard with that for a while (still do sometimes), but policy seems to have changed since Phil. I don't give DC any points for being so heavy handed on warrior woman, but I do give them points for putting the crown squarely on her head.
    If she is number 2 because of the sexism of the past, then it is still sexist. And DC themselves put themselves in that position, by saying WW is equal to SM so many times. Well, put your money where your mouth is then. Also she is not secind strongest. These days aquaman matches her and even surpasses hger in strength feats and when they have fought. And that is jusr one of many other examples of characters being stronger than her these days. Sexism. And why don't you take this conversation to the thread about ppossible signs of sexism? or the power level one?
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 03-10-2023 at 03:03 AM.