Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Default 5G and what was to have been

http://https://bleedingcool.com/comics/ Bleeding Cool has been running articles relating what was to have been the launch and future of DC Comics going forward. I have to say it would....have not been for me and sounded quite dreadful to me. Mostly the only thing accounted for were what was relating to Superman and Batman...nothing as for Wonder Woman, Flash etc.

Astonishing Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/a-ne...hapter-eleven/

Once the new Batman and new Superman find mutual respect and understanding, they become the catalysts for the creation of a new super-team, replacing the former Justice League, which had fallen apart over Clark Kent's insistence they all give up secret identities. The new team was called The Justice Alliance. Which will include Yara Flor, Wonder Girl, Jo Mullein Green Lantern and as a new Flash, the child of Flash villain and Suicide Squad member, Captain Boomerang. Likely to be Bolt, the daughter of Australian criminals in Future State Suicide Squad playing the role of Flash. And would have been written by Tim Sheridan.
    5G was apparently a Batman/Superman vehicle anyways.

The ending was basically the death of Batman and Superman:

Faced with Clark Kent's growing powers threatening the existence of Earth itself, becoming the greatest threat to humanity it has ever faced, with the knowledge of the future from Jon Kent, Bruce Wayne is forced to make his own ultimate sacrifice to save the planet. And, through undisclosed means, this would lead to the death of both the original Batman and Superman. The planet saved, the future averted, and the DC Universe continuing with Luke Fox and Jon Kent as the New Batman and New Superman, part of the Justice Alliance going forward into the fifth generation DC superheroes.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-...apter-fifteen/

Astonishing Member

Justice Alliance sounds like a concept that should be retooled and used, using different characters.

I think all the concerns about 5G feel validated now.

Telling that there’s zero info on WW or the other major franchises.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Could we speculate something about it in base of what was seen in Future State?
    We know than the Justice League was going to be replaced by the Justice Alliance with Jo Mullein as GL. SO is possible than what was seen in Jeffrey Thorne's GL run was close to what was going to happen to the GL franchise in 5G: a broken main battery, disgregated corspment and probably JO as the only Green Lantern, either from earth or from the universe. And John Stewart ascending to goodhood.
    In fact I think than Thorne was going to be the writer for the 5G series. But also I had read than the editros wanted to turn the GL series in something akin to a terror series.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Could we speculate something about it in base of what was seen in Future State?
    We know than the Justice League was going to be replaced by the Justice Alliance with Jo Mullein as GL. SO is possible than what was seen in Jeffrey Thorne's GL run was close to what was going to happen to the GL franchise in 5G: a broken main battery, disgregated corspment and probably JO as the only Green Lantern, either from earth or from the universe. And John Stewart ascending to goodhood.
    In fact I think than Thorne was going to be the writer for the 5G series. But also I had read than the editros wanted to turn the GL series in something akin to a terror series.
    Nope to all that.

The 5G plan was already set when I met Dan Didio. Aside from the battery being destroyed, nothing I wrote was influenced by it or changed after the fact. Didio was out within three weeks of buying my initial pitch and I wasn't asked to do FUTURE STATE until weeks after that.

There was no vestigial work that I repurposed because I was never part of the original 5G initiative and it was dead before they gave me control of the GL series.

When I read stuff like this, I get the feeling that DC Comics was just a job to DD. I know he didn't like WW but I am beginning to think he was never really a big fan of any of them in general. He seemed intent on throwing out the things that DC the Company and Brand iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    http://https://bleedingcool.com/comics/ Bleeding Cool has been running articles relating what was to have been the launch and future of DC Comics going forward. I have to say it would....have not been for me and sounded quite dreadful to me. Mostly the only thing accounted for were what was relating to Superman and Batman...nothing as for Wonder Woman, Flash etc.
    One can only speculate, but I imagine Justice Alliance would have been a short lived sales bomb.

Yara is the only one of those characters that has showed a glimpse of sales potential, the rest are pretty much duds.

I'm befuddled by Dc's co's obsession with creating legacy characters, in the past 30 years there have been 3 maybe 4 legacy characters that have sold well (Dick, Wally, Kyle & maybe Jamie) the most popular of these Dick Grayson being his own unique character with a separate uniform.)

You look at Marvel that doesn't have a strong history of replacing characters for brand new shiny ones and they have a far stronger selection of diverse old school titles that sell, DC only has Batman now, why

.......because Bruce Wayne is the only character they haven't tried to Fu#K with since the Azrael fiasco.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I mean, given she became a god at the end of death metal, I imagine the same thing in the 5G timeline..the difference being she just never actually came back to earth. Which honestly..as much as we love Diana, it would have been nice for DC to put focus on the rest of the wonder fam.

Dan Didio was literally hellbent on destroying other people's good work and rebuilding everything in his own image, wasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I mean, given she became a god at the end of death metal, I imagine the same thing in the 5G timeline..the difference being she just never actually came back to earth. Which honestly..as much as we love Diana, it would have been nice for DC to put focus on the rest of the wonder fam.
    Which given what little we've learned focus would have gone to well-established and veteran character Yara Flor

*checks notes*

A Didio creation.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-14-2023 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Which could be an interesting “ending” for her… but there’s zero sign that she would have been involved at all in 5G which is disappointing. If there’s going to be a big generational clash then she should be involved in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Dan Didio was literally hellbent on destroying other people's good work and rebuilding everything in his own image, wasn't he?
    He was willing to blow his own stuff up too at least. Didio believed, and I think the evidence favors him, that you had to do some major shake ups every so often to get people’s attention and attract interest. Where he failed was how he chose to do that.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Some of the concepts here are actually interesting. But I'm glad that didn't happen.
    Looking at all this, I understand one thing - this initiative would last at best two years. Everyone would hate it. There would be constant negativity. Fans of certain characters (who have a huge fanbase, Robins say hello) would create hell for creators on social media. And, of course, DiDio would shit himself again in terms of communication between writers and editors, and it would be an incredible mess, just like New 52 was. This whole thing literally screams of that.
    So, good riddance. DC didn't need that. It's just not worth of such a risk. I understand, why so many people opposed it.

Which could be an interesting “ending” for her… but there’s zero sign that she would have been involved at all in 5G which is disappointing. If there’s going to be a big generational clash then she should be involved in it.

He was willing to blow his own stuff up too at least. Didio believed, and I think the evidence favors him, that you had to do some major shake ups every so often to get people’s attention and attract interest. Where he failed was how he chose to do that.
    From the YouTube interviews with DiDio, it would seem that WW, Supes, and Bruce were to all be taken off the board to fix what he viewed as the primary cause of continuity issues requiring a Crisis to solve. That problem was that the Trinity would never age while those around them did ultimately requiring periodic reboots to fix. The logic is weird though given he brought back Hal, Barry, and Supergirl but okay.