Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The dissolution of the marriage. So 2007-present, which is why I still no longer read Spidey.

Runner-up is that John Byrne/Howard Mackie garbage where they killed off MJ in a plane explosion. Their contempt for the marriage was palpable.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

BND, Byrne/Mackie, the latter part of JMS 's run leading to BMD, and Paul Jenkins, didn't care for his stories or the art at the time.

This past Wednesday?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Oi, now there's a question.

I'll say 2011. Comics wise, that was a period when new comics stopped shipping to my home country, and being saddled with reprints felt like eating gruel. I remember lusting over the descriptions of the Big Time issues on Spiderfan dot org. Lean times, those were.

And other media wasn't doing much better. Shattered Dimension was peak, but the later games didn't appeal to me. Raimi movies had gone and the Webb movies hadn't come yet.

And that, friends, was how I ended up binging Bleach. The anime, not the stain remover.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I have completely quit reading Spider-man twice.

The Byrne reboot, I managed two issues of each book, and Brand New Day, where I manged the first two months.

Both of these eras are fucking miserable, boring and frustrating times with little fun to be had, and both are extremely regressive, trying to recapture an era decades past with situations that are extremely different when the character was a child.

I have forced myself through both eras much later (via piracy, I am not paying for that crap) and I maintain that these eras are among Spider-man, but more so Peter Parker's worst.

I hate loser peter, so I'm borderline on completely giving up on Wells' run (I currently just skim read at my LCS).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Oi, now there's a question.

I'll say 2011. Comics wise, that was a period when new comics stopped shipping to my home country, and being saddled with reprints felt like eating gruel. I remember lusting over the descriptions of the Big Time issues on Spiderfan dot org. Lean times, those were.
    I remember doing this back in the day before I had access to digital comics. Reading Spiderfan.org’s Uber detailed reviews of early Stan Lee issues and thinking I’d never actually get to read them.

Superior Spider-Man. I just didn't enjoy the notion of Ock being in control of Peter Parker's body.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

The Byrne/Mackie reboot. I think pretty much every era of Spider-Man has something to recommend it, but that was just an era of hopeless mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    Runner-up is that John Byrne/Howard Mackie garbage where they killed off MJ in a plane explosion. Their contempt for the marriage was palpable.
    Byrne split Ben and Alicia, and Vision and Wanda, and exacerbated the split between Clint and Bobbi. Is there a major relationship on a book that Byrne wrote that he didn't split up? Well, there's Reed and Sue. Excluding relationships in which Byrne could imply that there was sexual tension while the woman was underage, is there a major relationship on a book that Byrne wrote that he didn't split up?
    Last edited by Daibhidh; 01-16-2023 at 02:51 PM.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

BANNED

During OMD's finale aftermath and the extremely overwhelming backlash it caused.
    I was genuinely concerned as to how Spidey will go on from there.

For me personally there are two eras I can think of. The first is Brand New Day. Apart from being tied to One More Day which didn’t help matters. I just found the whole thing boring. I gave up after the first four issues. The second is with all the Spider-Ock stuff. I know some people really like it but I don’t. I really hated that storyline particularly with how it had the world bend backwards to make the plot work when it simply shouldn’t have. Otto had worse acting than a UWE Boll movie.
    Last edited by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE; 01-22-2023 at 01:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

From Scott to Spencer to Wells.

Not a good time for me. I didnt even hate the inferior Clone Saga and not even Sins Past, and also okay with OMD.

BANNED

So everyone just hates the modern runs period?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    So everyone just hates the modern runs period?
    It's pretty hard to like something that we are explicitly told by those working on it must remain unessential.

I always feel like the odd Spiderman fan because I loved Clone Saga and Clone Conspiracy. (Im a sucker for clones) and I enjoyed BND and OMD.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.