Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I would agree with the Byrne/Mackie run, although it holds up a little better now than it did at the time.

I would also say ONE MORE DAY was a low point for me with the character, even if I can understand and even agree with what Marvel wanted to do in terms of the marriage.
    I still have to say that Spidey making a deal with the devil to save a life is a hell of a lot more understandable than that time he tried to commit genocide because he was slightly depressed.

Mighty Member

Slott and beyond.

I desire a new writer with new ideas with its own identity. Instead, I find each person recreating an aspect of Slott's run, failing, and then falling into hell.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Slott and beyond.

I desire a new writer with new ideas with its own identity. Instead, I find each person recreating an aspect of Slott's run, failing, and then falling into hell.
    Yeah, it’s what Spencer’s run such a slog. It was nothing but retreading old stuff poorly.

We need a clean slate. New characters, new villains, new everything.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    New characters, new villains, new everything.
    Nothing new ever sticks. Or sells.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    That's not true, we would only have the original Ditko era characters and villains in the book if that were the case. Venom, Carnage and the Scarlet Spider were new ideas once.

The whole Spiderverse thing is new, and although I don’t particularly enjoy it, we are stuck with the concept and the slew of Spider-Man variants (like Spider-Gwen) for the foreseeable future in both comics and other media.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    The whole Spiderverse thing is new
    No it's not, it came from the 90s.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    That's not true, we would only have the original Ditko era characters and villains in the book if that were the case. Venom, Carnage and the Scarlet Spider were new ideas once.

The whole Spiderverse thing is new, and although I don’t particularly enjoy it, we are stuck with the concept and the slew of Spider-Man variants (like Spider-Gwen) for the foreseeable future in both comics and other media.
    This feels like a poor comparison since so much has changed about the Ditko era characters that they might as well be different characters all together.

No it's not, it came from the 90s.
    Well it was new in the 90's then.

Thing is we DO get new characters and villains fairly often. They may not be top tier A-listers like the Green Goblin, but guys like Mr. Negative are at least at Hammerhead and Tombstone level. Norah Winters seems to have been received well enough to stick around past BND, as well as Anna Marconi from the Superior era.

Speaking of which, Superior Spider-Man was probably the least fun time for me to be a Spider-Man fan. I didn't enjoy my favorite hero being killed and replaced by a supervilllain. After that, I guess the Bryne/Mackie reboot, which cast a very dour shadow over the books.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Slott and beyond.

The same goes for Kelly Sue Deconnick's Captain Marvel that succeeding writers want to replicate, only to fall flat.

Now hold yer horses, pardner, how's about:

Miles Morales (Ultimate)
    Agent Venom (Big Time)
    Kaine as the heroic Scarlet Spider (Big Time)
    Superior Spidey
    Superior Foes of Spidey (Superior)
    Silk (Post-Superior)
    Spider-Verse
    Spider-Gwen (Post-Spider-Verse)
    Jessica Drew: Spider-Woman (ANAD)
    Cates's Venom (AKA Knull the Book)

Not to mention the bleed out into other media: Mr. Negative in the PS4 game, Miles's game, Miles and Gwen in Ultimate Alliance, Knull in toys and...phone games(?), Into the Spider-Verse the movie, etc.

Is anything, the Spider-Franchise was a shining beacon of creativity thru the 2010s, compared to say, the X-office or Iron Man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Agent Venom (Big Time)
    Kaine as the heroic Scarlet Spider (Big Time)
    Superior Spidey
    Superior Foes of Spidey (Superior)
    Silk (Post-Superior)
    Spider-Verse
    Spider-Gwen (Post-Spider-Verse)
    Jessica Drew: Spider-Woman (ANAD)
    Cates's Venom (AKA Knull the Book)
    Agent Venom is just Flash with a symbiote. In fact, the Venom symbiote being with other characters besides Brock isn't even new. I still remember the Gargan era (and he should never have lost it)

Kaine was established in the 90s, was forgotten about for a decade, turned into something that doesn't even resemble his original look or purpose, his books didn't last and he was only a supporting character in Ben's book and hasn't been used since Spidergeddon.

Superior is just Ock with a freaky friday storyline, and he's back to normal now via a devil deal

Superior Foes are all classic villains and their book while having a cult following dried up and Spencer was the only one who remembered them because he brought them together.

Cindy was very poorly thought out initially, to the point Slott had to apologize for her earlier storylines, and only gets a handful of books per year but nothing concrete and is mostly just background in crossover events now. I doubt that'll change even when she gets her live action show.

Ghost Spider...again, established character, and who only gets a handful of books every year. Spider-Verse movie will give her a boost, but not even being a regular in Marvel's Spider-Man animated series helped her book sales.

Spider-Verse isn't new, it was established in the 90s by the animated series.

Jessica Drew isn't new, and they walked back on her ANAD changes (with the exception of Gerry, but he was created for MC2 and isn't new either), plus her books are short-lived

Doubtful the Knull stuff will last for Venom.

The only things I'll give you are Miles and Mr. Negative, but this hasn't been a period where 'creativity' has thrived at all.

Agent Venom is just Flash with a symbiote. In fact, the Venom symbiote being with other characters besides Brock isn't even new. I still remember the Gargan era (and he should never have lost it)

Kaine was established in the 90s, was forgotten about for a decade, turned into something that doesn't even resemble his original look or purpose, his books didn't last and he was only a supporting character in Ben's book and hasn't been used since Spidergeddon.

Superior is just Ock with a freaky friday storyline, and he's back to normal now via a devil deal

Superior Foes are all classic villains and their book while having a cult following dried up and Spencer was the only one who remembered them because he brought them together.

Cindy was very poorly thought out initially, to the point Slott had to apologize for her earlier storylines, and only gets a handful of books per year but nothing concrete and is mostly just background in crossover events now. I doubt that'll change even when she gets her live action show.

Ghost Spider...again, established character, and who only gets a handful of books every year. Spider-Verse movie will give her a boost, but not even being a regular in Marvel's Spider-Man animated series helped her book sales.

Spider-Verse isn't new, it was established in the 90s by the animated series.

Jessica Drew isn't new, and they walked back on her ANAD changes (with the exception of Gerry, but he was created for MC2 and isn't new either), plus her books are short-lived

Doubtful the Knull stuff will last for Venom.

The only things I'll give you are Miles and Mr. Negative, but this hasn't been a period where 'creativity' has thrived at all.
    I think Venom-Gargan worked well enough in Millar's Marvel Knights for novelty, but once he landed in Thunderbolts\New Avengers he was such an "Eat brains" basic Venom that it grew old real quick. IMHO, better off with a green tail. Think that's exactly why Slott had him re-scorpion up in New Ways to Die.

Speaking off--Anti-Venom! Still kicking, with a video game adaptation to boot!

As for "These new ideas are old ideas" most of the 90s stuff is too--Venom's just the alien costume with a tongue, Clone sage draws on the 70s OG story, Carnage's red venom. Ideas building on top of other, older ideas is comicbooking 101

...I guess Styx and Stone were new

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I think Venom-Gargan worked well enough in Millar's Marvel Knights for novelty, but once he landed in Thunderbolts\New Avengers he was such an "Eat brains" basic Venom that it grew old real quick. IMHO, better off with a green tail. Think that's exactly why Slott had him re-scorpion up in New Ways to Die.

Speaking off--Anti-Venom! Still kicking, with a video game adaptation to boot!

As for "These new ideas are old ideas" most of the 90s stuff is too--Venom's just the alien costume with a tongue, Clone sage draws on the 70s OG story, Carnage's red venom. Ideas building on top of other, older ideas is comicbooking 101

...I guess Styx and Stone were new
    Styx and Stone would fit in well as part of Jessica Drew's rogue galleries instead of Spidey's own.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Honestly? We have it good. There's always been something else beyond the comics this past decade.

But honestly, my low points were the Marvel Legacy section of the Slott run. Peter losing his company and just wading around to set up the status quo for Spencer's run sucked beyond Go Down Swinging. The endless Kindred mystery was pretty dull and now we're stuck in an even worse mystery.

But hey I can always replay my favorite Spider-Man games at least.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Inspired by chicanery asking the high points, let's lament the lows:

The Clone Saga with the exception of Ben Reilly, Kaine Parker and JMD's stories.

Sins Past and One More Day. The two worst Spider-Man stories ever. Painful to say as I have JMS as one of the best Spider-Man writers ever. I know JMS is very divisive.

Alpha.

Brand New Day.

The cancellation of The Spectacular Spider-Man (2008-2009).

Silk. I hate that character.

TASM (Vol. 3), TASM (Vol. 4). Absolutely awful.

The treatment of Ben Reilly under Slott, PAD, Lowe and Wells. I'd rather he had stayed dead with the exception of JMD's miniseries.

The editorial interference in TASM (Vol. 5).

TASM (Vol. 6).
    1: Silk. 2: Current Wells Run. 3: OMD/BND in that order