Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spectre vs Mxyzptlk

Two cosmic characters who are just below omnipotent level:

The Wrath Of God vs. The 5th-Dimensional Imp.

Round 1: most current versions

Round 2: composite versions

Round 3: stacked composite versions

Who wins?

Standard Rumbles Settings.

Ultimate Member

During Emperor Joker, Joker straight up chained Spectre using Mxys powers.

I don’t know if that was a full power Spectre because his power level has varied pretty wildly at times.

I have no idea about the current versions of these guys power level because DC seems to be in permanent reboot mode.

In World's Funnest (Which is of questionable continuity at best) We saw Spectre trying to stop Mxy and Bat-mite. Mxyzpltk hit Spec with the entire earth and sent him flying out into space.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    In World's Funnest (Which is of questionable continuity at best) We saw Spectre trying to stop Mxy and Bat-mite. Mxyzpltk hit Spec with the entire earth and sent him flying out into space.
    Iirc it only made Spectre stand still due to not wanting to harm the inhabitants of the planet by accident
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Iirc it only made Spectre stand still due to not wanting to harm the inhabitants of the planet by accident
    Only becauser it's such a specific feat, I think you might be conflating the Jakeem Thunder story wherein the Spectre was sealed in a living world with sentient beings on it by another 5D Imp, not Mxy or Ceiu, so he couldn't bust out without killing them. Green Lantern/Sentinel (Alan Scott) then accelerated time on that world so the creatures and their civilisation naturally died out in mere minutes and Spectre was able to free himself.

If that exact scenario happened twice, then that would be a weird coincidence.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 01-15-2023 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    That wasn't World's Funniest. That was in a JLA issue and it wasn't Mxy. It was Johnny Thunder's 5D imp.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    This issue was an Elseworlds, which is not canon.

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    That wasn't World's Funniest. That was in a JLA issue and it wasn't Mxy. It was Johnny Thunder's 5D imp.
    Yeah, this was in Morrison's Crisis Times Five story in JLA I believe. I think the imp in question was Qwsp, an Aquaman villain.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

When you are out of ideas, throw an imp at 'em!
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Swiss army nerd

To be fair, Morrison's story was very good and didn't feel like a blind grab for a villain. Qwsp is a pretty obscure Aquaman villain to pull for that story, and they tied it in to some fairly low key stuff around the thunderbolt and the forgotten character Triumph, too. All tied together nicely.

Morrison's JLA is probably still my favourite team book in...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    To be fair, Morrison's story was very good and didn't feel like a blind grab for a villain. Qwsp is a pretty obscure Aquaman villain to pull for that story, and they tied it in to some fairly low key stuff around the thunderbolt and the forgotten character Triumph, too. All tied together nicely.

Morrison's JLA is probably still my favourite team book in...ever.
    I've got nothing at all against Morrison there. The proliferation of imps is just... meh... and it sadly pervades DC far beyond any one writer. Too powerful, often too silly, and with one of the stupider classic pre-crisis DC weaknesses. That's saying something, given that others include/ed "wood", "lead", "bullets", "fire" and "the color yellow."
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I've got nothing at all against Morrison there. The proliferation of imps is just... meh... and it sadly pervades DC far beyond any one writer. Too powerful, often too silly, and with one of the stupider classic pre-crisis DC weaknesses. That's saying something, given that others include/ed "wood", "lead", "bullets", "fire" and "the color yellow."
    I'm always astonished at how many ways they can find to make all knowing, omnipotent beings do the one thing that they all know they shouldn't do in order to stop them. Just...dont say it!

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    I'm always astonished at how many ways they can find to make all knowing, omnipotent beings do the one thing that they all know they shouldn't do in order to stop them. Just...dont say it!
    Plus, it's not like the guy's name is siht or anything where making them say "this" would somehow be a conceivable mistake. These aren't the Knights Who Formerly Said Ni or anything, where hearing the word "it" causes them crippling pain. No imp has a backward name that is even a word in any language, certainly not using a western alphabet. You can't even say most of their names in either direction.

As far as canonical Stories go, a fully on the ball Spectre (Corrigan particularly) has had to have the threat of "if you break out you'll kill all these people" (though that kind of threat mattering to Corrigan Spectre, who, uhm.. let's say had a certain perspective on slaughter, felt off) to prevent them from otherwise just undoing a thing a 5d imp did to them, as noted. The Day of Vengeance Hostless Spectre otherwise treated 5D beings as not much to him.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 01-16-2023 at 10:37 AM.

The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

QUICK QUESTION: Has the current Mxy (and other imps) had that rule of saying the name backwards removed? If so, do they even have a weakness anymore?
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.