Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

From JSA: Strange Adventures #1 <of 6> (October 2004)

This’d prob. look hella cool in color!

Solicits:

TITANS: BEAST WORLD TOUR: STAR CITY #1

Written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON, RYAN PARROTT, ROBERT VENDITTI, and BRANDT & STEIN

Art by JAMAL CAMPBELL, ROGER CRUZ, GAVIN GUIDRY, and BRANDT & STEIN

Cover by MIKEL JANÍN

Variant covers by CULLY HAMNER and JOHN GIANG

$5.99 US | 48 pages | Variant $6.99 US (card stock)

ON SALE 1/23/24

City of stars! Father-and-son archer duo Oliver Queen and Connor Hawke are reunited in the face of evil as they investigate rumors of harrowing experiments taking place at the city aquarium. Across town, Black Canary’s cry becomes lethal as she succumbs to the Beast Boy spores. Can the city’s newest hero, Red Canary, stand up to her idol? Plus, Red Arrow and Stargirl reunite to protect the city from…the Justice Society of America?!

WESLEY DODDS: THE SANDMAN #4

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art and cover by RILEY ROSSMO

Variant cover by JEFF LEMIRE

1:25 variant cover by FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

$3.99 US | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)

ON SALE 1/9/24

Trapped in a dream by his own sleep gas, Wesley Dodds comes face-to-face with his worst nightmare. Can he escape his own dark dream, and will it be in time to stop the Fog’s next move?!

JAY GARRICK: THE FLASH #4

Written by JEREMY ADAMS

Art by DIEGO OLORTEGUI

Cover by JORGE CORONA

Variant cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

1:25 variant cover by TODD NAUCK

ON SALE 1/16/24

Dr. Elemental’s history is revealed as Jay Garrick and his daughter, Judy, race to dismantle a plan 80 years in the making!

ALAN SCOTT: THE GREEN LANTERN #4

Written by TIM SHERIDAN

Art by CIAN TORMEY

Cover by DAVID TALASKI

Variant cover by NICK ROBLES

1:25 variant cover by SKYLAR PATRIDGE

ON SALE 1/23/24

Alan Scott’s learned the Red Lantern’s dark secret! But even if the Green Lantern knows the truth, can he find the will to stop his enemy’s monstrous plans?

JSA #9 was also re-solicited.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Solicits:

TITANS: BEAST WORLD TOUR: STAR CITY #1

Written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON, RYAN PARROTT, ROBERT VENDITTI, and BRANDT & STEIN

Art by JAMAL CAMPBELL, ROGER CRUZ, GAVIN GUIDRY, and BRANDT & STEIN

Cover by MIKEL JANÍN

Variant covers by CULLY HAMNER and JOHN GIANG

$5.99 US | 48 pages | Variant $6.99 US (card stock)

ON SALE 1/23/24

City of stars! Father-and-son archer duo Oliver Queen and Connor Hawke are reunited in the face of evil as they investigate rumors of harrowing experiments taking place at the city aquarium. Across town, Black Canary’s cry becomes lethal as she succumbs to the Beast Boy spores. Can the city’s newest hero, Red Canary, stand up to her idol? Plus, Red Arrow and Stargirl reunite to protect the city from…the Justice Society of America?!
    Passing on this one.

JSA #9 was also re-solicited.
    New date (according to the solicitation) is "ON SALE 1/23/24" even though it was already at 1/30/24 towards the start of this month (and some sites have it for the first week of February now)?!?

At least they posted another variant cover for this issue (a 1:25 variant cover by DAMION SCOTT):

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Starman got a lot more heartwarming once I realize its essentially the story of a son rediscovering his love and adoration for his father.

Jack starts out a cynical bohemian, on the outs with his father, brother, and has lost the joy he felt for superheroes. But upon taking up the Starman name Jack manages to regain his long lost love for superheroes, being incredibly respectful for old legends like Wesley and Alan.

And this leads to him rebuilding his relationship with his family. He managed to settle his issues with David (albeit posthumously) and the idolization he feels towards Ted returned. Best moment is in when the heroes were in Grundy's mindscape the sight of a Ted in his prime in the Starman suit brought out a joy in Jack that only a child who looks up to their parent as the greatest person in the world can feel.

Its there that Jack realizes that to him, his dad is the greatest superhero of all time.

Its all very touching.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Passing on this one.

New date (according to the solicitation) is "ON SALE 1/23/24" even though it was already at 1/30/24 towards the start of this month (and some sites have it for the first week of February now)?!?

At least they posted another variant cover for this issue (a 1:25 variant cover by DAMION SCOTT):
    Thats....really difficult to look at. lol. I think I appreciate the attempt and design, but it's just wow.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Thats....really difficult to look at. lol. I think I appreciate the attempt and design, but it's just wow.
    I agree. TOO much information at once.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I agree. TOO much information at once.

Peace
    The objective is to give the reader a cover that will reveal additional detail as they adjust their focus. And it does that, but the overall picture isn't powerful enough to stand on its own.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Starman got a lot more heartwarming once I realize its essentially the story of a son rediscovering his love and adoration for his father.

Jack starts out a cynical bohemian, on the outs with his father, brother, and has lost the joy he felt for superheroes. But upon taking up the Starman name Jack manages to regain his long lost love for superheroes, being incredibly respectful for old legends like Wesley and Alan.

And this leads to him rebuilding his relationship with his family. He managed to settle his issues with David (albeit posthumously) and the idolization he feels towards Ted returned. Best moment is in when the heroes were in Grundy's mindscape the sight of a Ted in his prime in the Starman suit brought out a joy in Jack that only a child who looks up to their parent as the greatest person in the world can feel.

Its there that Jack realizes that to him, his dad is the greatest superhero of all time.

Its all very touching.
    That's a great take and a reminder I gotta finish Starman.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-21-2023 at 12:30 PM.

Game over. Johns is leaving DC. That means JSA will either be cancelled or relaunched with a new writer.
    https://imagecomics.com/press-releas...york-comic-con
    I'll miss him at DC. Then again, the way he kept on being sidelined in recent years makes this move not especially surprising.

I'm also pretty much done with DC at this point. I had some hype of the ship being righted for a brief time after Death Metal, but it quickly dwindled to only being what Johns was producing. With him gone, there's virtually nothing left at DC to interest me anymore.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 10-21-2023 at 10:40 AM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The objective is to give the reader a cover that will reveal additional detail as they adjust their focus. And it does that, but the overall picture isn't powerful enough to stand on its own.
    But, it's a variant cover, so there are no real "rules" besides "get readers to be interested enough to fork out more $'s for it".

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, it's a variant cover, so there are no real "rules" besides "get readers to be interested enough to fork out more $'s for it".
    Nothing was said about "rules". What was discussed was the look of that particular picture. The objective applies regardless of whether it's a main cover, a variant, art on paper, or a wall mural.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Nothing was said about "rules". What was discussed was the look of that particular picture. The objective applies regardless of whether it's a main cover, a variant, art on paper, or a wall mural.
    ^^^A variant wall mural!

AKA, yeah, you’re right.

Extraordinary Member

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Alan Scott and Jay Garrick having arch enemies we’re just now learning about?
    Yes they’re retcons but what about positioning them higher tier then the actual golden age villains those two did have?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    What’s everyone’s thoughts on Alan Scott and Jay Garrick having arch enemies we’re just now learning about?
    Yes they’re retcons but what about positioning them higher tier then the actual golden age villains those two did have?
    Haven't bought/read the Jay Garrick issue yet, so not sure what you mean there.

As for Alan, they already promoted Red Lantern in the New Golden Age one-shot and are totally re-writing Alan's past anyway with his "new" sexual identity, so it's not really a big deal compared to everything else.