Page 37 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I tend to think that they need to age; just not in real time.
    Agreed, because eventually it’s just weird how much stuff has been crammed into a year for Damian to still be 10. Which is why currently after more then a decade he’s finally a teenager at like 14/15.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don’t get DC’s resistance to age their young characters to their early twenties. Society’s conception of youth have changed, but DC keep treating 20/21/22 as if that would make them too old.
    Maybe they could say that Stargirl debuted at 13 or something, but I think at least 6 years need to have passed since her debut.
    Marvel does the same. The big two barely makes their young characters to age.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post

shame this never made it!
    Hard to say . . . depends on if Hitch's influence would have been positive or not.

Also, I don't think we necessarily would have gotten Kent Nelson back as Doctor Fate.

I tend to think that they need to age; just not in real time.
    Yeah. The only ones whose ages need to advance in real time are the characters actually around since World War II. i.e. Jay Garrick. The younger characters certainly don't need to age in real time, but should definitely be older than they were in the 90s, especially because of this...
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Agreed, because eventually it’s just weird how much stuff has been crammed into a year for Damian to still be 10. Which is why currently after more then a decade he’s finally a teenager at like 14/15.
    Yup, Damian became Robin aged 10 in 2009, now 14 years later he's aged up four years. Tim Drake was 17 when Damian became Robin, so logically should be 21 now. And that goes for everyone else too, they should be four years older than in 2009.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I don't think she's meant to be the main character now, either: next issue will conclude her introduction, after which she'll be presented as another member of the team, no more important than anyone else. (I'm still hopeful that next issue will see her sent back to 1979, to participate in the Silver Age JSA alongside Power Girl; but it's not looking likely at this point. A return to her original time is also a possibility.) Meanwhile, they're setting up Yolanda and Beth to get the central focus next (after, or alongside, the Lost Children in issues 6 and 7), presumably to give their return to life some proper attention. After that, I don't know.
    Intentional or not, she's effectively been the main character so far. The central plot is about her and most of the others haven't been much more than cameos so far. Johns is even interrupting the flow of the Degaton plot to have her unite with her father while all hell breaks lose.
    It's still early to say how that will change in later arcs. I hope it does as the last thing I want is JSA to become such a Bat-centric book.

I think the backgrounds are supposed to represent the Golden Age on the left, and the Silver Age on the right, with the foreground being the current team.
    They could represent the Silver Age, but having a very classic Huntress there (one who wouldn't fit Earth-0's 70s team) makes me think it's meant to be Earth-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah. The only ones whose ages need to advance in real time are the characters actually around since World War II. i.e. Jay Garrick. The younger characters certainly don't need to age in real time, but should definitely be older than they were in the 90s, especially because of this...
    Yup, Damian became Robin aged 10 in 2009, now 14 years later he's aged up four years. Tim Drake was 17 when Damian became Robin, so logically should be 21 now. And that goes for everyone else too, they should be four years older than in 2009.
    I think that one rule that kind of works is to count every 5 years of publication as 1 year in-universe (plus one extra year in-universe for things that happened prior to 2006's OYL period).
    Damian debuted at 10 in 2006 right after OYL, so him being 13-14 works.
    Tim debuted at 14 in 1989, so that would make him 22 now. Which I think would be the ideal age to move him in new directions like college.
    By this same logic, Stargirl would be 21 since she was 15 when she debuted in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    . . . Tim [Drake] debuted at 14 in 1989, so that would make him 22 now. Which I think would be the ideal age to move him in new directions like college. . .
    But here in the U.S., 22 might be around the typical age of somebody graduating college if they had entered a four-year program in the fall after they graduated high school.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hard to say . . . depends on if Hitch's influence would have been positive or not.

Also, I don't think we necessarily would have gotten Kent Nelson back as Doctor Fate.
    That's definitely Kent Nelson. Remember they brought him back in Rebirth only to be @#$$%ed up by James Tynion IV in Justice League Dark like a thug in the street.

Even that panel with Kent as Fate has 'presence' : (

That's definitely Kent Nelson. Remember they brought him back in Rebirth only to be @#$$%ed up by James Tynion IV in Justice League Dark like a thug in the street.

That panel from DC Universe: Rebirth (2016) showed Dr. Fate as a possibly arrogant potential jerk, which could just as easily fit the description of Nabu.

And before Tynion used Dr. Fate in Justice League Dark, how was he handled in Blue Beetle?
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-26-2023 at 06:56 PM.

That panel from DC Universe: Rebirth (2016) showed Dr. Fate as a possibly arrogant potential jerk, which could just as easily fit the description of Nabu.

And before Tynion used Dr. Fate in Justice League Dark, how was he handled in Blue Beetle?
    Well who knows what would have been before Tynion got his hands on him

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

The "possibly arrogant potential jerk" sounds like Nabu, yeah.

In Blue Beetle, Nabu was back to being Doctor Fate again. He was in complete control while Kent was back to being his vessel although most of Nabu's appearances in the series actually had him be his disembodied self. Kent appears in only two issues (out of Doctor Fate's 11 appearances) as himself and is *kept alseep in an open coffin-like thing: he's very disheveled and awakens when Nabu seems dead, which has him shouting in relief because he thinks he's finally free until for Nabu to come back to life and chides him.

*Kent's in a "state of mystic stasis as a result of the Atlantean's attack" and needs to be awakened with the helmet which sounds like a cover story considering he seemed just fine when Nabu momentarily flickered out of existence and he only fell back into stasis when Nabu came back.

I'll see if I can dig the issues out if you want more details. It was interesting to see Nabu back in the driver seat (I loved him as Doctor Fate in Justice League International) and they gave him a pretty cool "civilian" design in the Egypt flashbacks.

bandicam 2020-06-24 17-19-56-294 dc - nabu.jpgbandicam 2020-06-24 17-22-29-478 dc - nabu.jpgbandicam 2020-06-24 17-24-06-202 dc - nabu.jpg
    (Click to see better)

I wasn't so keen on his disembodied design, however. The simpler cloak, helmet and gloves looks much better.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 05-27-2023 at 01:04 AM.

This suit deserved more page-time.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This suit deserved more page-time.
    It's used in Justice League: Dark up until the end of the Lords of Order arc; I'm not very partial to the suit and even I think it looks good.
    tumblr_101582357752.jpg

The art for the series was just so absolutely incredible in general.
    tumblr_pqlr6tUvYa1sqep2mo4_1280 dc - doctor fate (jld).jpg31314 justice league dark (visual).jpg
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 05-27-2023 at 10:17 AM.

Since it's Memorial Day weekend here in the U.S. (an observance which began in 1868 and was originally known as "Decoration Day")*, a couple of appropriate covers:

All Star Comics #27 (Winter 1945)

Justice Society of America #50 (June 2011)
    Darwyn Cooke variant cover

* = https://www.usmemorialday.org/history-of-memorial-day; https://www.pbs.org/national-memoria...l-day/history/; https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/...ate/memday.pdf

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Fred Hembeck art.

HembeckJSA.jpg

But here in the U.S., 22 might be around the typical age of somebody graduating college if they had entered a four-year program in the fall after they graduated high school.
    I know that, but considering how crazy his life has been by normal standards, I think it would be ok for him to start college at 22.
    Same for other characters who should be older now like Stargirl. Actually, Courtney has spent so long out of the spotlight that she should already have been attending college off-panel. At least 2 DC years should have passed since the last JSA ongoing (pre-Flashpoint). And her time with the JLA in the New 52 was very brief.