Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

What did Rosenberg say?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A Cass Batgirl solo seems more likely to me at this point than Babs headlining a solo again. They seem more comfortable with her as Oracle now or just having her do Oracle stuff even as Batgirl while Cass gets more of a "Batgirl" push, even more than Steph.
    Batgirl situation won't be clear until we know more details about Bat-Family in DCU, especially regarding Batgirl.
    If it's just Barbara, then at best Cass and Steph will keep their support cast status. Before that, I guess there won't be any clarification about who exactly they see as ''the main Batgirl''.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    We know by what Rosenberg has said that DC is aware of Jason's popularity and consider him a character that sells books so the way they keep fumbling the bag with him is just mind-boggling.
    They do this all the time. Damian and Jon were doing perfectly fine and even got an animated movie that as well-received, but they still decided to separate them, to (almost) turn one of them into a villain and to age up the other one for no reason. Tim finally got a solo, but they gave him one of the worst creative teams possible. It's honestly impressive how many opportunities they have wasted so far.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    What did Rosenberg say?
    I'm going to quote the man himself

Matthew Rosenberg: It's funny, there was a lot of back and forth with Paul and Dave Wielgosz, our other editor on the book, because I said from go, "You need big names. This isn't gonna work if it's just random characters who have died recently." And I said, "We need a field leader. We need someone who will sell books on their own." They said, "Who would you want?" and the first name I said was, "I want Jason Todd." When you're dealing with rebirth and people who have died and come back, he should be the Sherpa for the team. And they were like, "You got him, it's done."
    https://screenrant.com/task-force-z-...ood-dc-comics/

Extraordinary Member

I mean the thing is as soon as the Big Six and maybe Nightwing and Harley Quinn are not an option, I don't think that there are any characaters that will bring in much more readers in than Jason, some might bring in a bit more or about the same.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    We know by what Rosenberg has said that DC is aware of Jason's popularity and consider him a character that sells books so the way they keep fumbling the bag with him is just mind-boggling.
    Is he a character that sells books?

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    They do this all the time. Damian and Jon were doing perfectly fine and even got an animated movie that as well-received, but they still decided to separate them, to (almost) turn one of them into a villain and to age up the other one for no reason. Tim finally got a solo, but they gave him one of the worst creative teams possible. It's honestly impressive how many opportunities they have wasted so far.
    Damian is lucky he has Williamson in his corner.

Astonishing Member

I think Tim's problem was mostly execution.

A Cass Batgirl solo seems more likely to me at this point than Babs headlining a solo again. They seem more comfortable with her as Oracle now or just having her do Oracle stuff even as Batgirl while Cass gets more of a "Batgirl" push, even more than Steph.
    I'm not sure Cass really gets a push as Batgirl. I mean, Cassandra is Batgirl in Birds of Prey, but she is never called that way (the characters always call her as Cass or Small Bat).

Also, Birds of Prey writers don't seem to be allowed to use Barbara in the Oracle role. So, I wouldn't be surprised Barbara is called Batgirl when she appears in the book.
    Last edited by Konja7; 01-22-2024 at 04:33 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    There's no point trying to reach new audiences and staying stuck in comic shops.
    DC, and Marvel, should at least try to do the same as Mangas do in Japan.
    Publish a weekly magazine, with cheap paper and sold wherever possible with the sole intention of placing all publications in the reader's hands.
    The way it is published today has no future, it is very expensive to keep up with everything.
    Or you could just do digests.

However the MOMENT DC tries to go beyond comic book stores guess who cries FOUL? Comics book stores.

Yet they are the ones who don't want certain characters with books.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    Tim is clinging to the Robin brand as if his life depends on it. I would have never believed he would be in such a situation a few years ago. It will be interesting to see if 2024 will change anything for him. Anyway, I think Batgirls was a good attempt, but maybe a book with Cass, Steph and Tim will do better. These three used to be well-liked as a trio.
    I'd split the family into 2 groups for 2 books: The kids and the adults. Dick and Damian would probably stay where they are since they seem to be doing fine though.

-Jason, Babs, Cass, Tim, Steph and Duke in a book together (and maybe Harper if there's enough demand for her).
    -Kate, Luke, Helena and Jean-Paul in another book together.

Or possibly toss Jason in with Kate and Luke etc, since apart from Babs he's a bit older than the other kids. Plus, I don't think he's really teamed-up with the others (Luke, Jean-Paul, Helena), besides Kate.

That should just about cover everyone. I'm not saying it would work, but it's just an idea.

I know they're not exactly straight villains now but it's funny how the female still have ongoings over, say, Batgirl or Batwoman.

I know they're not exactly straight villains now but it's funny how the female still have ongoings over, say, Batgirl or Batwoman.
    Well, there is a certain amount of sex appeal with Poison Ivy, Catwoman and Harley Quinn.

Writers seem to shy away from sex appeal with Batwoman these days, plus as far as personality goes Kate doesn't get flirty in costume - the main sex appeal in the past had her in states of undress or with poses. I'm not too familiar with Huntress, so I don't know the situation there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    -Jason, Babs, Cass, Tim, Steph and Duke in a book together (and maybe Harper if there's enough demand for her).
    -Kate, Luke, Helena and Jean-Paul in another book together.
    Don't know.

Historically Helena is closer with the Batgirls that with the group you put her in.

Jason doesn't really fit well in any of the groups (unless they age Cass, Tim, Steph up again).

And I'm a bit sceptical how "commercially viable" the adult team, is. None of the characters has one of the iconic mantels and they are all more "extended Batfamily" than "core Batfamily".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Or you could just do digests.

However the MOMENT DC tries to go beyond comic book stores guess who cries FOUL? Comics book stores.

Yet they are the ones who don't want certain characters with books.
    That's attitude isn't weird. Comic Book Stores depend on companies like DC or Marvel, so it's pretty natural they would worry and complaint when DC focus their attentiom on another market. That said, you shouldn't blame Comic Book Stores for DC nott looking for other markets.

The only reason why DC would pay attention to Comic Book Stores complaints is because other markets hadn't been profitable for them. DC is a business, so they would mantain a profitable market no matter how many complaints there are.
    Last edited by Konja7; 01-23-2024 at 03:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    There's no point trying to reach new audiences and staying stuck in comic shops.
    DC, and Marvel, should at least try to do the same as Mangas do in Japan.
    Publish a weekly magazine, with cheap paper and sold wherever possible with the sole intention of placing all publications in the reader's hands.
    The way it is published today has no future, it is very expensive to keep up with everything.
    I think also the digital strategy for Manga makes also a big differnce.

Afaik they have a realtivly cheap flatrate, while for DC and Marvel you have to by the issues at the full price of physical copy.