Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This is usually true, yes. However it would seem that Tim isn't doing terrible for some unknown reason...diehard fans who can't betray the character by not buying the title (not a judgement, just a reason.) I've tried to get into the book and only bought a couple of them...the first two issues and then the Dan Mora cover for #4. As I said in the preview thread, I can not fathom how this book does well at all. I've not heard one positive remark considering the book in either art or writing. I have noticed that Ortiz is replacing Rossmo for a couple of issues (not really much of an improvement) and new solicitations show Nikola Cizmesija for number 8 in April with a cover by Dan Panosian, not even Ortiz who has been regular cover artist since issue one. Makes me wonder if the book is short lived or in the middle of a major shake-up.
    Wait are you saying the book isn't doing terribly or meant to say it is doing terribly? And why do you think it does well as the sales seem pretty bad.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    It seems Robin is indeed changing artists again, and reducing the numbers of variant covers (with no incentive variant).it doesn't look promising for the series. Maybe they could wrap or shorten the new arc and entirely change the creative team.

The November ranking were also released-
    https://www.comicbookrevolution.com/...ales-rankings/
    Issue 2 charted at number 151 with no resolicitations. That's crazy for a 2nd issue.

This title might be out of the top 200 by issue 4.

I know it's divisive [I have seen plenty of fans and review sites that are enjoying it and a lot panning it] but didn't think it was this bad.

Long standing loyal fans tend to support their favourites regardless and most comic readers will give a title a few issues before dropping. I expected this run to at least have the support of long time loyal fans.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Issue 2 charted at number 151 with no resolicitations. That's crazy for a 2nd issue.

I know it's divisive [I have seen plenty of fans and review sites that are enjoying it and a lot panning it] but didn't think it was this bad.

Long standing loyal fans tend to support their favourites regardless and most comic readers will give a title a few issues before dropping. I expected this run to at least have the support of long time loyal fans.
    Might be a combination of the character designs being... dependent on taste and DC YJ burning up a lot of long-term fans' goodwill with the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post

I feel like Fitzmartin and her handling of the outing and the YJ characters in the Dark Crisis tie-in basically turned off long-time fans.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Wait are you saying the book isn't doing terribly or meant to say it is doing terribly? And why do you think it does well as the sales seem pretty bad.
    With the book continuing (with the same writer, albeit third artist) it doesn't seem that the book is doing terribly enough for DC to cancel it or change the writer. DC has cancelled lots of books by issue six that were not doing well but we have solicitations for issue 8. At this point I would much rather they cancel the book and start over with a different creative team.

With the book continuing (with the same writer, albeit third artist) it doesn't seem that the book is doing terribly enough for DC to cancel it or change the writer. DC has cancelled lots of books by issue six that were not doing well but we have solicitations for issue 8. At this point I would much rather they cancel the book and start over with a different creative team.
    Trying to remember what DC did with Tom King's run on Batman. We know it got canned early, but I don't recall if there were solicits for issues that never came.

Mighty Member

It could be DC has a contract to ensure it goes on for at least a year and maybe think that all the buzz is worth it and it would be a bad look to cancel it so early based on that and it also involves a bat character.

Mighty Member

It could be DC has a contract to ensure it goes on for at least a year and maybe think that all the buzz is worth it and it would be a bad look to cancel it so early based on that and it also involves a bat character.
    That is not how this type of contract works, as far as I know, there have been books contracted for 6 issues and reduced to 4 issues, because of sales, and all contracts will have terms and conditions that take sales into account.

DC cancels gay Robin might be bad enough headline to publish few more badly selling issues.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    It seems Robin is indeed changing artists again, and reducing the numbers of variant covers (with no incentive variant).it doesn't look promising for the series. Maybe they could wrap or shorten the new arc and entirely change the creative team.

The November ranking were also released-
    https://www.comicbookrevolution.com/...ales-rankings/
    The lack of variant covers is not a good sign.

However, since we are just looking at ranking and not actual numbers we are only guessing how bad it is. Nightwing as Ric was selling badly and still manage to stick around for a while until it was revamped, Red Hod was also a low seller and it took a while for it to be cancelled. Batgirls and I Am Batman have been also low and both books have made it to a least 17 issues. Azrael comes out in the first week of the month and by issue 2 it was outside the top 100 rankings and DC didn't reduce its number of issues.

I think because Batman and Detective Comics are really strong sellers, Bat-family spinoff books are given a little more room to fail.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 01-21-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    The lack of variant covers is not a good sign.

However, since we are just looking at ranking and not actual numbers we are only guessing how bad it is. Nightwing as Ric was selling badly and still manage to stick around for a while until it was revamped, Red Hod was also a low seller and it took a while for it to be cancelled. Batgirls and I Am Batman have been also low and both books have made it to a least 17 issues. Azrael come out in the first week and by issue 2 it was outside the top 100 rankings and DC didn't reduce its number of issues.

I think because Batman and Detective Comics are really strong sellers, Bat-family spinoff books are given a little more room to fail.
    For Batgirls didn't the trade sell pretty well though?

And we know the lack of variants isn't a good sign but what do they indicate exactly? DC losing faith in the book?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    DC cancels gay Robin might be bad enough headline to publish few more badly selling issues.
    I was gonna correct and say 'bi' but given how keeps being written as gay........

Mighty Member

For Batgirls didn't the trade sell pretty well though?

And we know the lack of variants isn't a good sign but what do they indicate exactly? DC losing faith in the book?
    Well, we don't know how Tim's Robin will sell at trade as yet. But that goes to an earlier point I made books aimed at young females, POC, and LGBT audiences tend to do better in digital and trade sales so their overall run last a little longer even when their monthly sales seem bad.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Well, we don't know how Tim's Robin will sell at trade as yet. But that goes to an earlier point I made books aimed at young females, POC, and LGBT audiences tend to do better in digital and trade sales so their overall run last a little longer even when their monthly sales seem bad.
    Hmmm Tim's pride special a trade and it didn't so good as well though?

Mighty Member

Hmmm Tim's pride special a trade and it didn't so good as well though?
    Tim's pride special can be taken into account to see how his trades might sell but has nothing to do with his solo trades.