Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

More heartbreaking than last episode.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

I was 2 episodes behind after watching and enjoying the premiere. Then my boss pissed me off yesterday almost spoiling episode 3 to talk about how it basically was uncomfortable and flared up your homophobia. So annoying but rushed home caught up. LOVED these. I was legit tearing up. Episode 3 is an Emmy reel for sure. No way they don't get nominated for supporting actors

This is what you would call a "filler episode"
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Usually when people hype up an episode, I find it pretty much pedestrian by comparison when I get around to watching it.

But not this time. Holy crap! I was not expecting to like this episode as much as I did. From the hopelessness engendered by the fade in scene when Ellie sees the roadside massacre. (The woman with the baby...UGH...horrifying but rather expected reaction from the type of government that would happen if this was going on for real).

Did they ever clearly say where Bill and Frank where located? I know outside of Boston, but how far? I saw New Bedford Gas when the supply run montage was playing. If that's where he was, he's fictionally located somewhere within 20-30 minutes of where I am.

Anyway, the whole way the relationship started and played out was amazing. Sure it's going to piss off a segment of the population because what doesn't, but this was just fantastic character development through and through. And that ending...so sad, I felt like I was losing something akin to friends.

Nice touch with the note left for "Whomever but probably Joel". Nick Offerman was pretty much all kinds of fantastic with his performance.

Oh, and that scene in the basement of the Cumberland Farms when Ellie killed that clicker? The way she kind of played with it before dispatching it, I got Arya Stark making her first remorseless kills vibe.

The first three episodes of The Last of Us have been as nearly perfect as one could possibly hope for in this day and age. I'm guessing this episode is a lock for the Peabody and Humanitas Awards. I would also think the Hugo Awards too. But the Emmys might be a stretch because by the time those come around again, the show might be forgotten about in terms of what people remember. Which would be a shame.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Usually when people hype up an episode, I find it pretty much pedestrian by comparison when I get around to watching it.

But not this time. Holy crap! I was not expecting to like this episode as much as I did. From the hopelessness engendered by the fade in scene when Ellie sees the roadside massacre. (The woman with the baby...UGH...horrifying but rather expected reaction from the type of government that would happen if this was going on for real).

Did they ever clearly say where Bill and Frank where located? I know outside of Boston, but how far? I saw New Bedford Gas when the supply run montage was playing. If that's where he was, he's fictionally located somewhere within 20-30 minutes of where I am.

Anyway, the whole way the relationship started and played out was amazing. Sure it's going to piss off a segment of the population because what doesn't, but this was just fantastic character development through and through. And that ending...so sad, I felt like I was losing something akin to friends.

Nice touch with the note left for "Whomever but probably Joel". Nick Offerman was pretty much all kinds of fantastic with his performance.

Oh, and that scene in the basement of the Cumberland Farms when Ellie killed that clicker? The way she kind of played with it before dispatching it, I got Arya Stark making her first remorseless kills vibe.

The first three episodes of The Last of Us have been as nearly perfect as one could possibly hope for in this day and age. I'm guessing this episode is a lock for the Peabody and Humanitas Awards. I would also think the Hugo Awards too. But the Emmys might be a stretch because by the time those come around again, the show might be forgotten about in terms of what people remember. Which would be a shame.
    They were in Lincoln, Massachusetts. Boston probably the next town over maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    This is what you would call a "filler episode"
    If your the type that only cares about the progression of the main plot this episode did plenty of that as Ellie successfully managed to get Joel to open up and are at a place where they can start bonding. Meaningful progression happened here.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If your the type that only cares about the progression of the main plot this episode did plenty of that as Ellie successfully managed to get Joel to open up and are at a place where they can start bonding. Meaningful progression happened here.
    Not to mention they now have the means and weaponry to get where they need to be.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This was a solid episode. It really was perfect with how they did it. As Druckman said the part that hurt Joel was the part..."..use this to keep Tess safe."

Pedro Pascal is really showing just how good he is every week. This will be the role he'll become identified with.

The big question is...with a season 2 renewal...what will next storyline be ? It's really too soon to adapt the 2nd game. And fans will have a full scale riot if Joel dies that soon.

So will we see Joel and Ellie trying to survive on the road , running from Fireflies ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    This was a solid episode. It really was perfect with how they did it. As Druckman said the part that hurt Joel was the part..."..use this to keep Tess safe."

Pedro Pascal is really showing just how good he is every week. This will be the role he'll become identified with.

The big question is...with a season 2 renewal...what will next storyline be ? It's really too soon to adapt the 2nd game. And fans will have a full scale riot if XXXXXXXXXX.

So will we see Joel and Ellie trying to survive on the road , running from Fireflies ?
    Kind of need to watch it with the spoilers not every one on here has played the games
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 02-02-2023 at 09:11 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Going into the third episode I wasn't expecting a literal fetch quest in the game to be turned into one of the most poignant romance stories I've ever seen on television. I'm impressed to say the least.

Astonishing Member

An idiot columnist in the NY Times denounced the episode as a right wing gun fantasy promoting male violence but trying to cater with a gay theme. A moron. Won't give her column a link.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    An idiot columnist in the NY Times denounced the episode as a right wing gun fantasy promoting male violence but trying to cater with a gay theme. A moron. Won't give her column a link.
    I bet I know her kind. I know several people who have this odd liberal trigger whenever a weapon and supplies stock piler who distrusts the government succeeds in the apocalypse scenario. They believe a real breakdown of the Nation would see communities building each other up while people like Bill are ostracized

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Yeah, and I would not click it even if you had. Sounds infuriating and I wouldn't want those words in my head while thinking of this episode. So well done, and really hits on the themes of this show, paralleling Joel/Ellie's burgeoning relationship.

Even looking at how food is used at the beginning of the episodes:
    - ep1 Joel cooks breakfast for him and his daughter, pre-apocalypse.
    - ep2 Joel, Tess and Ellie all eat together. Joel and Tess are eating the same type of food, though they each have their own. Ellie has a delicious-looking sandwich someone else made for her.
    - ep3 Joel shares his food with Ellie, but he tosses it at her and they don't eat together.
    - ep3 Bill cooks for Frank.
    So yeah, food as an expression of love and caring for another.(as reiterated by Bill's note) It shows the bond. The fact that industrialized food killed everyone certainly has implications in terms of this theme, but I'll leave it there.

This was brilliant. Bravo SNL!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Pedro would make for great live action Mario lol.

Episode 4 covers the events of Kansas City. Largely uneventful outside of Joel and Ellie bonding moments. Next episode will be a major tear jerker.

C'mom no spoilers, don't say stuff like next episode will be sad. It tells us there is a death we don't want to see.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!