Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Probably just a slow artist

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Did they mention how? Because I don’t get why these problems with DC only seem to be affecting Johns this consistently unless something is up on his end.

JSA isn't the only DC book that has been late recently plus Stargirl has mostly been on time. I would think if Johns was the reason for the delays, Stargirl would be as late, or almost as late as JSA.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Probably just a slow artist
    If so, Johns has had some exceptionally bad luck when it comes to slow artists. I guess he's had one for every DC project but Stargirl (his pet project) since Rebirth and I guess Janin just became slow overnight once he started drawing a Johns book.

I understood all this better when Johns was so distracted by Hollywood but that's over. I get the independent/creator owned stuff but I don't get him continuing to sign on to DC projects that either he can't complete on time or that editorial keeps changing. Or, if he does continue to sign on to projects he can't complete on time, it doesn't make sense to me that DC keeps letting him do that.

Do they only interfere/change plans with his titles? The first or second time (Three Jokers, Doomsday Clock) it seemed easy to point the finger at Fabok/Frank or Didio but none of those people are involved in JSA and neither Janin, Ordway, nor Kolins is known to be slow as far as I can remember. Each of them has consistently cranked out monthlies on time.

There's really only one common denominator here and it's Johns. It's really a shame because I am absolutely loving his JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    If so, Johns has had some exceptionally bad luck when it comes to slow artists. I guess he's had one for every DC project but Stargirl (his pet project) since Rebirth and I guess Janin just became slow overnight once he started drawing a Johns book.

I understood all this better when Johns was so distracted by Hollywood but that's over. I get the independent/creator owned stuff but I don't get him continuing to sign on to DC projects that either he can't complete on time or that editorial keeps changing. Or, if he does continue to sign on to projects he can't complete on time, it doesn't make sense to me that DC keeps letting him do that.

Do they only interfere/change plans with his titles? The first or second time (Three Jokers, Doomsday Clock) it seemed easy to point the finger at Fabok/Frank or Didio but none of those people are involved in JSA and neither Janin, Ordway, nor Kolins is known to be slow as far as I can remember. Each of them has consistently cranked out monthlies on time.

There's really only one common denominator here and it's Johns. It's really a shame because I am absolutely loving his JSA.
    Is it possible that Johns is requesting the best artists...but these would be the same artists who are probably slower due to extra detail work, etc.?
    Just throwing that out there,
    But yeah, Johns name on a book does imply lateness.

Astonishing Member

Janin seems to be a favorite of the old Bat editorial people (Katie Kubert, Jamie Rich, Mark Doyle) in that they used him extensively for Grayson and Tom King's Batman and for other projects like Superman and the Authority. Note that how the Morrison Superman and the Authority book used a lot of fill-in artists so likely he can't do a month schedule.

edit: And iirc Doomsday Clock was suppose to have been released mid-2018 instead of late Nov, 2017 so that likely screwed up the release schedule.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-27-2023 at 04:34 PM.

Hasn't the artists thing been brought up before? I've usually seen it dismissed though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hasn't the artists thing been brought up before? I've usually seen it dismissed though.
    Rebirth era Batman editorial had much better scheduling. King said as much in one of his recent interviews. The Morrison Superman and the Authority was the tell in tha they were compensating by having THREE fill-in artists for issues #2 and issues #3. We are seeing this repeated in JSA with Ordway doing stuff. And if Johns is writing this concurrently with Stargirl, he has claimed he already finished #5 in early October (and I think the story in Stargirl suggests some sort of connection). Furthermore Stargirl has no shipping problems again because Nauck is a workhorse who can do monthlies.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-28-2023 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It has definitely been brought up before. And then there was no comment made by Johns, the artist, or editorial...so no resolution on what the real issue was.
    There was speculation that editorial interference was the culprit on the unfathomable lateness of Doomsday Clock. But again, no comments made so no real cause confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    It has definitely been brought up before. And then there was no comment made by Johns, the artist, or editorial...so no resolution on what the real issue was.
    There was speculation that editorial interference was the culprit on the unfathomable lateness of Doomsday Clock. But again, no comments made so no real cause confirmed.
    I believe Doomsday Clock's lateness was due to the HBO's Watchmen series which had similar elements to DClock. The series finale was broadcast just before the last issue of DClock.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

My understanding is that with both DDC and Three Jokers, the major issue was that Johns was late with the scripts, due to his commitments in film and television.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I believe Doomsday Clock's lateness was due to the HBO's Watchmen series which had similar elements to DClock. The series finale was broadcast just before the last issue of DClock.
    If so, that was a colossal mistake on their part.

The entirety of the 9-episode series aired between Doomsday Clock #11 and Doomsday Clock #12.

As the HBO series was about as great as TV can be, it made the comic series suffer terribly by comparison. The comic lost so much momentum and interest as it dragged on for 2 years and then to be hit with an incredible TV series, inviting or really insisting on comparisons, at the very worst possible time... well, that really was a doomsday for the comic.

If those 12 issues had completed at least 2 months earlier--in other words if it had taken 22 months instead of 24 months or whatever--such a damning comparison wouldn't have so badly stepped on the finale.

I can't imagine worse timing. If it was strategic, I can't imagine a worse strategy. We all know Johns can't compare to Alan Moore but he really can't compare to Damon Lindeloff either, especially when this was Lindeloff's strongest effort among many strong efforts.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Doomsday Clock was rushed out by DC, six months before they were ready so issue #1 was probably suppose to be released around early June/late May of 2018.

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4EABe07ANE @~18:30

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Either the site I'm using to check release dates is slow to update (it literally said 7th March this morning) or Justice Society got delayed again. It's saying it's out the 14th March.

Does anyone know why there's constant delays? It can't be an industry issue because the other comics I'm following is coming out right on date.

This is not good for the series, especially not this early and with this story pace. If I was a casual reader coming into JS, I'd have lost interest in the series: you only get so many chances with delays before people stop caring to keep track. They haven't even gotten a real chance to get invested in the series and its characters.

I'm looking forward to reading the finale in January.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 03-07-2023 at 12:47 PM.

Posted two weeks ago, on 22 February. So I'd ditch that site (they seem to have only updated the release date when the issue no-showed) and use League of Comic Geeks instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    You guys aren't going to believe this (sarcasm font). League of Comics Geeks is showing #3 slipping another week, to 3/14.
    Now, caveat: That is the only place right now not showing it as still scheduled for the 7th. But, based on track record, I'm inclined to assume they are accurate. And #4 is supposed to come out just two weeks after that. We'll see if that holds.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Posted two weeks ago, on 22 February. So I'd ditch that site (they seem to have only updated the release date when the issue no-showed) and use League of Comic Geeks instead.
    The DC Comics site is still listing it as "Tuesday, March 7th, 2023" at the moment.