Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Is it the strange names, the long convoluted history, the fact that it’s so loosely connected to anything else going on in the DCU, or is it the almost retro aesthetic that many of the runs have that seems kind of dated?
    Too many reboots, too many characters, it's set in the future, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Interesting. I think you are one of the few out there who thinks the Bendis LOSH is better than the 70s or 80s LOSH.
    If Superboy was in the title, then it may have been a fairly old issue and although Legion stories were generally closer to the more recent style of writing (as opposed to a lot of sillier DC Silver Age), it's not inconceivable that a modern fan could prefer the Bendis version.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I was looking at Legion books online and I remember loving Legion Lost, so I searched Abnett and Lanning Legión books. I didn’t know where to begin, and what was covered in Legion Lost so I checked out. I think constant reboots reinforce a character or books status as a proven loser. (Like the Al Pacino speech to DiCaprio in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.) Obviously I don’t feel that way, I like the Legion more than the X Men, but I love more X Men books.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I was looking at Legion books online and I remember loving Legion Lost, so I searched Abnett and Lanning Legión books. I didn’t know where to begin, and what was covered in Legion Lost so I checked out. I think constant reboots reinforce a character or books status as a proven loser. (Like the Al Pacino speech to DiCaprio in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.) Obviously I don’t feel that way, I like the Legion more than the X Men, but I love more X Men books.
    Well, there are a $#!+load more X-Men books than there are Legion books.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Funnily enough, I started reading LSH and Uncanny X-Men at about the same time, when both series had been around for many years. I found both really easy to get into and I wasn't put off at all that both clearly had a long history.

I was about 13 at the time, so maybe a younger brain is more open to the bigger picture?

I think my love for both series was cemented because of the writing and art and despite continuing to read both titles for many years, I find now I'm drawn back to those early issues I loved so much.

I don't buy comics now, put off by endless reboot after reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    If Superboy was in the title, then it may have been a fairly old issue and although Legion stories were generally closer to the more recent style of writing (as opposed to a lot of sillier DC Silver Age), it's not inconceivable that a modern fan could prefer the Bendis version.
    Yeah I can’t get into 70’s or 80’s comics much. I’m an X-Men fan & I don’t care for the books from those eras either. Great concepts but tough to read. The first Legion I read was from the 70’s I’m pretty sure. My friend gave a detailed description of how the Superboy in the title was Superman who was a member of a team in the future. My head almost exploded right there. I could handle the idea of Jon living in the future but not Superman traveling back & forth. The Bendis run wasn’t perfect but I thought the foundation was solid. I wish it had continued. Constantly restarting & stopping isn’t going to help the Legion.

I don't mind the Bendis era, I just found it meandering till issue 9. I'd cut Jon and use Mon-el as the protagonist as he had a stronger hook.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-23-2023 at 02:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Yeah I can’t get into 70’s or 80’s comics much. I’m an X-Men fan & I don’t care for the books from those eras either. Great concepts but tough to read.
    That's because they are a product of that time. If you didn't read them then, they aren't going to have the same reading value today. I can go back and read stories I loved -- and still enjoy those today as much as I did then. But if I read something from that era for the first time, it's not as well-received.

i wish Superboy/Jon was there. it was a nice update.