Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Quiet Council after Fall of X? What's the most interesting potential roster?

Some people think that after Fall of X the council itself will have to be democratically elected. Some people think the Council will be replaced with another system of governance. Some people think Krakoa itself will end altogether.

But if the Quiet Council maintains it's structure, and maybe becomes democratically elected, what roster do you think would be interesting for the Immortal X-men book?

President Emma Frost, until she retires
    Exodus is great, he needs to stay
    Hope (Obligatory Five rep)
    Destiny (Her power is valuable)
    Hellion (Vice President)
    And some nobody mutants to fill lesser roles

It's hard to say since we don't know the structure we'll get. I doubt we'd ever get something complicated, but it'd be cool to see multiple voting parties and various seats.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

I can't help but keep wondering, aren't there any actual mutant politicians or anybody that would have actual knowledge about running a country?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Some people think that after Fall of X the council itself will have to be democratically elected. Some people think the Council will be replaced with another system of governance. Some people think Krakoa itself will end altogether.

But if the Quiet Council maintains it's structure, and maybe becomes democratically elected, what roster do you think would be interesting for the Immortal X-men book?
    Someone should be elected to represent the mutants that don't have useful powers or there only mutation is a physical one. For instance Ugly John would be great in this role.
    Last edited by dragon1440; 01-16-2023 at 07:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I can't help but keep wondering, aren't there any actual mutant politicians or anybody that would have actual knowledge about running a country?
    There's not a ton of mutant politicians per se, but they are out there, and there's plenty of mutant characters who were interested in things beyond just the traditional slugfests or battles. There's a Claremont created character named Jono Baraka aka Askari, who was at one point the president of his country of Tanzania. There are multiple communities or factions of mutants that have been multi-national and existed for centuries, with mutant leaders who absolutely would be politically savvy and ambitious (not saying they'd be good guys, like Baraka, just that they'd be jockeying for political position) - this includes various Clan Akkaba leadership like Frederick Slade, and potentially resurrected Akkaba leadership like Brashir, and Margaret and Hamilton Slade, or Fiona Knoblach and her descendants/followers who have actively infiltrated the leadership of multiple nations at various points. One of Fiona's great-great-granddaughters was a mutant who became the US Secretary of Defense at one point, I believe.

There's various iterations of Thieves' Guild leadership like Ajna, a rival of Gambit's for leader of the global Thieves' Guild and a powerful precog and clairvoyant. And the Russian mutant underground has leaders like Alexi Garnoff aka Blind Faith who's the Russian equivalent of Professor X but without his various moral baggage at this point, and with a long history of keeping Eastern European mutants safe and getting them asylum and refuge.

Madripoor and other similar places have had mutants in high up positions, like Chon Li aka Aardwolf, numerous mutants have been major players behind the scenes in other countries like the UK, such as Soudabeh Abadi aka the Alchemist, and there have been mutant politicians like Steven Shaffran aka Ricochet, a former senator with probability manipulating powers. Other mutants with power and influence beyond just their mutant powers - like Jonathan Chambers aka Empyrean - have famously positioned themselves as very important and influential mutant figures with a lot of followers or potential power-bases in the past.

Even without Namor being interested in Krakoa, there's always Namorita, who is also Atlantean royalty. There's a multi-national organization of mutants called the Psi-Cops, led by a woman named Psiren (powerful telepath, telekinetic and teleporter) and her brother Psimon (another psi, with a voice compulsion element to his power as well), who have existed in the shadows for decades and aimed to protect the world from various external threats like the Technarchy.

While a lot of mutants who died on Genosha are still gone, I would think they'd have prioritized bringing back the leadership of that country, which included mutant rebels and mutates (who were just latent mutants with their X-genes artificially activated by the Genegineer, and thus would be in the Waiting Room even if Cerebro didn't back them up) who fought against the original Genoshan regime. These included figures like latent mutant Phillip Moreau and his girlfriend Jennifer Ransome, as well as Phillip's brother Zealot, a powerful earth-shaper who opposed Magneto's takeover of Genosha and wanted to keep its leadership in Genoshan hands, and who was killed by Magneto.

(It'd be interesting to explore bringing back Jenny Ransome and the Moreaus because they could have whatever powers the writers wanted, since a big part of the original Genoshan stories was when the Genegineer activated latent mutant x-Genes, he wasn't stuck with what their power was SUPPOSED to be, he could tweak how it manifested. For instance, Jenny Ransome was specifically described by him as being SUPPOSED to have some kind of ability to heal other people, but the Genegineer said no, we need more mutants to work in our mines, so instead he tweaked her power to give her super-strength and size-changing abilities by modifying her own biology. So if Jenny, the Moreau brothers and other Genoshan mutates came back via the Waiting Room, chances are their powers would be what they were originally, NATURALLY supposed to be, rather than what the Genegineer tweaked them to be. I'm very curious to see what Zealot would be like if not for his father the Genegineer's influence, since he was one of his dad's first victims and spent most of his life mindlessly controlled by the Genoshan magistrates to be one of the biggest shapers of their country's terrain. Plus he just deserves better, and I think he'd be very politically ambitious. From the second he got free of magistrate control, he was a pretty natural leader.)

There was a mutant political underground in Singapore back in the 80s, led by a mutant called The Light, who had the singular power of knowing when something wasn't true. He used this power to amass a fortune because despite it seeming underwhelming, it was actually extremely potent given that even telepaths couldn't lie to him or hide the truth from him - his power seemed to work on like, empirically knowing if something was true or not, regardless of how well or not its covered up or lied about. He wasn't omniscient, didn't just KNOW things, but if he asked a direct question he'd always know if the answer he got back was a lie or not. I've always been really interested in how he made the most of such a seemingly finite and simplistic power, and think that'd be a real interesting offset to other hugely powerful Council members like Exodus. Explore the idea that you don't have to be an omega to be politically influential or powerful on Krakoa, and that there's plenty of the 'less impressive or underwhelming' mutant powers present in leadership structures.

Various Morlock communities as well as the short-lived Brotherhood comic from the early 2000s had a lot of mutants with leadership positions within their internal structures, and a number of the older dynastic mutant families like Azazel's HAVE to have their fair share of mutants who could mix things up in the Krakoan political sphere. Like introduce just one new mutant who's revealed as one of Kurt's half-brothers or half-sisters who's just like fed up with their 'hero half-brother' and how beloved he is by a lot of mutants so they're like please, anything he can do, I can do better. There's a number of Latverian mutants who have been political dissidents in their homeland and if resurrected on Krakoa might be interested in political influence there, like the Romani Latverian mutants Samhain, Beltane, Imbolc and Lughnasa.

Eight hundred year old Gabriel Shepherd seemed to consider himself enough of a mutant to likely be interested in Krakoa if he ever comes back from his jaunts throughout the cosmos and he's led numerous communities before isolating himself out of jadedness as he kept outliving all his peers. There's the various Externals like Saul, Nicodemus, Burke and Gideon, if they get the four Externals in the External Gate out of it, and at least a couple of them like Burke and Nicodemus didn't seem to be total douchebags. Karma and Tran have their half-sister who was last seen being umm, killed by Karma (she's two for two!) but before that was a minor telepath who lost her powers on M-Day but even without them built and controlled a hugely powerful/influential international conglomerate.

There's a lot of former Hellfire Club members or affiliates who operated in the political sphere of their respective countries, like Benazir Kaur, Benedict Kine and Reeva Payge. Astra, Astrid Bloom and Persephone are all powerful mutants whose ambitions were only cut short by their fates or being thwarted by X-Men. There have been vigilante groups of mutants unaffiliated or initially unaffiliated with the X-Men, who just started out interested in helping out in their own locational spheres (like the Madripoor mutant vigilantes from X-Men Blue or other similar groups). There's always the old members of the Promise, like Tobias Messenger, Tad Carter and the rest, or other smaller mutant communities like the one exploited by Father Phillip in X-Factor (a telepath who brought together a group of mutant minors with various powers he exploited, but many of whom stuck together and went off to make something of themselves after he was exposed and defeated). You've got figures like Wallflower's dad, Sean Garrison, who used his powers to become a famous motivational speaker and psychologist, mutant lawyers like Evangeline Whedon who considered her power to turn into a giant, flying, fire-breathing dragon to be incidental to her actual ambitions and interests, etc, etc.

The thing I keep wanting out of Krakoa isn't a focus on underdeveloped mutant characters just for the sake of seeing them used.....its the fact that SO MANY of these mutant characters are only underdeveloped because there was no real place for them in a lot of the old X-franchise paradigms of mutants solely as part of an action-based medium. There wasn't a ton of room for these characters when the medium was focused just on pitting one superpowered group against another for the sake of a big fight scene....but that just means so many of these characters are EXPLICITLY the kinds of characters that should be natural to expand upon in the current paradigm, when the whole mission statement of it is that while the action scenes aren't going away, they aren't supposed to be the ONLY thing of note about mutants and their society. There's finally room to explore the mutants who aren't optimized for combat or aren't interested in direct combat or attaining power or influence that way - and so that more than anything is what I want to see actually explored. Use the political book, use the high concept or culture books, to actually show us what can be done with the mutants who aren't all just about combat capabilities.

The thing I keep wanting out of Krakoa isn't a focus on underdeveloped mutant characters just for the sake of seeing them used.....its the fact that SO MANY of these mutant characters are only underdeveloped because there was no real place for them in a lot of the old X-franchise paradigms of mutants solely as part of an action-based medium. There wasn't a ton of room for these characters when the medium was focused just on pitting one superpowered group against another for the sake of a big fight scene....but that just means so many of these characters are EXPLICITLY the kinds of characters that should be natural to expand upon in the current paradigm, when the whole mission statement of it is that while the action scenes aren't going away, they aren't supposed to be the ONLY thing of note about mutants and their society. There's finally room to explore the mutants who aren't optimized for combat or aren't interested in direct combat or attaining power or influence that way - and so that more than anything is what I want to see actually explored. Use the political book, use the high concept or culture books, to actually show us what can be done with the mutants who aren't all just about combat capabilities.
    I think you could make a very interesting series focused on the politics of Krakoa without the action scenes and minor underdeveloped characters would be great for that. Just steal the name from an old 2099 book and call it X-Nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    President Emma Frost, until she retires
    Exodus is great, he needs to stay
    Hope (Obligatory Five rep)
    Destiny (Her power is valuable)
    Hellion (Vice President)
    And some nobody mutants to fill lesser roles

It's hard to say since we don't know the structure we'll get. I doubt we'd ever get something complicated, but it'd be cool to see multiple voting parties and various seats.
    I agree with Emma as President. That would be great IMO.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Amazing Member

Emma Frost
    Destiny
    Sebastian Shaw

Exodus
    Nightcrawler
    Selene

Moonstar
    Sunspot
    Monet

Callisto
    Legion
    Prodigy

Amazing Member

Alternately:

Emma Frost
    Destiny
    Harry Leland

Shinobi Shaw
    Masque
    Frenzy

Hope Summers
    Sunfire
    Banshee

Isca The Unbeaten
    Cable
    Sage

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think you could make a very interesting series focused on the politics of Krakoa without the action scenes and minor underdeveloped characters would be great for that. Just steal the name from an old 2099 book and call it X-Nation.
    Okay but only if we can also steal the cast from the original X-Nation book and put them somewhere in the modern era. (I'm not even joking lol, X-Nation was one of my first reads as a teen comic book fan and I have suuuuuuch an attachment to that six issue miniseries and its cast of Twilight, December Frost, Clarion, Uproar, Willow, Metalsmith and Nostromo. Literally the only character I didn't like or care about was Wulff, I need the others to go get time-rescued by Cerebra and the Marauders and join the timeline refugee community on Krakoa, lmao).

There should be a mutant whose power is that he can be as openly corrupt, venal, petty and spiteful as he wants, but people still love and vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    There should be a mutant whose power is that he can be as openly corrupt, venal, petty and spiteful as he wants, but people still love and vote for him.
    So Empath.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

It makes sense for Sinister to be shuffled off. A fair tradeoff--a scientist for a scientist--would be to have Forge take the seat post SoS.

If we're speculating that FoX is the big Xavier breaks bad story, how about him bringing back the OGs: Apocalypse and Magneto.

Of course, he has to work with what he's got, so it'll be Joseph and Evan Sabah Nur

Mighty Member

In whatever shape the council takes Xavier needs to be present and in a major capacity. Krakoa is his baby, it wouldn't even exist as a nation if not for him. But it seems as though the writers are determined to villainize him and readers are giddy to see him fall. He and Mags never should have formed the QC in the first place. Simply say we created a mutant nation, anyone who wants to come chill you're welcome but we're in charge. Anyone who got a problem with that can go kick rocks. The very last person I want leading Krakoa is Emma, we saw how that went last time; New Tian.

Don’t have time to think of a full roster right now, but will probably circle back.

All I know is that Moonstar and Callisto are essentials. It’s a travesty that both the youth of Krakoa and the Morlocks spent all this time with no actual representation in the government.