Incredible Member

Default Wonder Woman's best friendships

I was thinking about all the different eras of Wonder Woman, and how Diana's adventures have brought her into contact with a variety of people. Her supporting cast has fluctuated over the years. I'm sure some of you enjoyed certain friendships from certain eras....which ones?

Obviously, Etta Candy wins the title of BFF for having been there since the beginning and surviving all the revamps. So other than her...who did you feel Diana had a well-written friendship with?

I would have to say Ferdinand from the first Rucka run. We never got much backstory on them, but I liked the casual understanding they had.

I also really enjoyed the adopted older sister/younger sister dynamic between her and Nessie that George crafted over the first five years of the book, post-Crisis. There were lots of ups and downs throughout and it felt as fragile and intense as a real relationship because of it.

Zatanna in the 2018-2020 JLD or just in general when it comes to superhero friendships. The two compliment and contrast one rather well, lot better than either with Superman or Batman.

I've never been too big a fan of Etta if I'm honest. Only time a "classic version" of her genuinely clicked for me was LoWW.

Vanessa, though I've never really thought of her as a friend given the more surrogate sister relationship. I've maintained she's a better version of a "Wonder Girl"-type characters than the three who actually have been Wonder Girl.

Fantastic Member

Diana and Dinah.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I was thinking about all the different eras of Wonder Woman, and how Diana's adventures have brought her into contact with a variety of people. Her supporting cast has fluctuated over the years. I'm sure some of you enjoyed certain friendships from certain eras....which ones?

Obviously, Etta Candy wins the title of BFF for having been there since the beginning and surviving all the revamps. So other than her...who did you feel Diana had a well-written friendship with?

I would have to say Ferdinand from the first Rucka run. We never got much backstory on them, but I liked the casual understanding they had.

I also really enjoyed the adopted older sister/younger sister dynamic between her and Nessie that George crafted over the first five years of the book, post-Crisis. There were lots of ups and downs throughout and it felt as fragile and intense as a real relationship because of it.
    Ferdinand's omission in her ongoing supporting cast is a classic example of the books editors/writers failing to embrace cool things that worked for her in the past that lend a unique visual and narrative identity to the book and mythos. A vegan Kithotaur chef. Wonderous.

I think her friendship with Dinah/Black Canary is important, or at least, should be and I like how they play off each other. Their dynamic let's Diana be messier and more relaxed, not needing to be this virtuous superheroine role model because Dinah's a veteran hero who can hang in a street brawl or against the metas. Dinah should respect Diana but approach her like an equal, not treat her like a princess or a superior, and be crass and empathic and real in a way that makes Diana laugh and swear like a sailor herself when they're bantering. I feel like Diana would see Dinah much like a fellow Amazon and Dinah could be an early "work" bestie on the League, the two hypercompetent ladies dealing with a sea of spandex, sausage, and male ego. Dinah is the hot mess, while Diana is the warm empath who avoids her own personal issues while focusing on helping others, to which Dinah sees through and calls her out on. Diana would be her biggest Black Canary (band) fan, in the front row head banging to Dinah's theatrical and frenetic performance. I'm of the opinion that the DC's two biggest and longest running superheroines should respect and love each other and make a duo to rival the World's Finest themselves.
    Last edited by Shimbo; 01-17-2023 at 09:35 AM.

Fantastic Member

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    Diana and Dinah.

Yaaaaaas, someone gets it!

Amazing Member

Wow. What issues do these images come from?

Who I want her besties and/or close relationships to be with:

Besties:
    Etta
    Steve
    Donna
    Mala
    Dinah
    Trevor Barnes
    Ferdinand
    Andros

Close and super-friendly:
    Vanessa
    Cassie
    Julia Kapatelis
    Helena Sandsmark
    Clark
    Lois
    Bruce
    Selina
    Dick
    Barbara
    Yara
    Arthur
    Mera
    Mari
    Shayera
    Zatanna
    Carol Ferris
    Extraño

Incredible Member

Did Andros ever appear in comic form, or only on the Carter series?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas71 View Post
    Wow. What issues do these images come from?
    Respectively:

Wonder Woman #310

Birds of Prey #68

Wonder Woman #34

Wonder Woman #780