Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Stargirl: the lost children #3 spoilers/discussion

Is it too late to make a Lost reference? Or maybe since this is about Golden age characters it should be Gilgan’s Island?

Enough with the jokes, it’s time to get serious as we learn about the island of the Childminder and all the teen sidekicks she has on there because boy is it a lot. It’s actually pretty sad to see all these young characters who don’t realize how long they’ve actually been gone or that in some cases they aren’t remembered or their loved ones have passed on. They just think Courtney is from the future.

Basically Courtney and Emiko got separated, Emiko’s been captured by the Childminder who is pretty creepy looking, with her horror movie design and her chicken legs and her doll mask combo.

Courtney on the other hand has found the lost sidekicks who have managed to avoid capture from Childminder. This leads to a lot of introductions especially from all the new characters Johns created in the New Golden Age.

All in total we meet.

1. The blue boys and little miss redhead.
    2. The Newsboys Legion
    3. Jimmy Martin aka Tick-Tock, of the Minute Men and Hourmans former sidekick
    4. John Henry-Irons
    5. Molly Pitcher and Betsy Ross
    6. Ladybug
    7. Salem and her sentient broom
    8. Quiz kid

And that’s not counting Wing, Cherry Bomb, Airwave, and Robbie the robot dog that we meet before all them. Oh but there’s one more kid we have yet to meet that ties into new golden age….it’s Corky Baxter again. Whose boasting that he will save everyone but that’s not very likely since he is a bit of a punk and this is a Stargirl book. But he has one plan to save everyone from the island, getting Judy Garrick away from the Childminder. Luckily Emiko appears to be Judy’s cell neighbor.

There’s also one other problem though and it’s that Childminder is working for someone else who is on there way to the Island, some by the name of The Foster Father. Whether that will be a new character or someone we know remains to be seen.

Overall good new issue that furthers along the new golden age narrative and does a good job of being charming with its art but creepy in plot.
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-17-2023 at 11:42 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It's been another great issue and it was nice to see some old faces mixed with the new faces.

This is the best work of Todd Nauck and he had done a great job drawing all the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Is it too late to make a Lost reference? Or maybe since this is about Golden age characters it should be Gilgan’s Island?

Enough with the jokes, it’s time to get serious as we learn about the island of the Childminder and all the teen sidekicks she has on there because boy is it a lot. It’s actually pretty sad to see all these young characters who don’t realize how long they’ve actually been gone or that in some cases they aren’t remembered or their loved ones have passed on. They just think Courtney is from the future.

Basically Courtney and Emiko got separated, Emiko’s been captured by the Childminder who is pretty creepy looking, with her horror movie design and her chicken legs and her doll mask combo.

Courtney on the other hand has found the lost sidekicks who have managed to avoid capture from Childminder. This leads to a lot of introductions especially from all the new characters Johns created in the New Golden Age.

All in total we meet.

1. The blue boys and little miss redhead.
    2. The Newsboys Legion
    3. Jimmy Martin aka Tick-Tock, of the Minute Men and Hourmans former sidekick
    4. John Henry-Irons
    5. Molly Pitcher and Betsy Ross
    6. Ladybug
    7. Salem and her sentient broom
    8. Quiz kid

And that’s not counting Wing, Cherry Bomb, Airwave, and Robbie the robot dog that we meet before all them. Oh but there’s one more kid we have yet to meet that ties into new golden age….it’s Corky Baxter again. Whose boasting that he will save everyone but that’s not very likely since he is a bit of a punk and this is a Stargirl book. But he has one plan to save everyone from the island, getting Judy Garrick away from the Childminder. Luckily Emiko appears to be Judy’s cell neighbor.

There’s also one other problem though and it’s that Childminder is working for someone else who is on there way to the Island, some by the name of The Foster Father. Whether that will be a new character or someone we know remains to be seen.

Overall good new issue that furthers along the new golden age narrative and does a good job of being charming with its art but creepy in plot.
    I know its like 99% unlikely to be him, but Bruce Wayne does fit that name.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I enjoy the Peter Pan theme here, thats a really cool theme

Lost Island of superhero kids

I hope that's the clone Newsboy Legion, they were the best ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I know its like 99% unlikely to be him, but Bruce Wayne does fit that name.
    It could be Thomas Wayne Jr.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-17-2023 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Well, since Flip and "Famous" Bobby Harper were post-1940's additions, they may be the later "clone" versions.

But since Geoff Johns is messing around so much with the past, who knows?

Given that time manipulation is involved with the island and the kids, and that this is part of Johns's new JSA corner, it feels like a main "Foster Father" candidate who would make sense here would be Per Degaton.

Overall...I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. It's written well enough and the art is fantastic, but there's just something about retroactively saddling so many Golden Age heroes with either new sidekicks or new children that feels like it's, I don't know, cheapening the sidekick brand, if that makes any sense? Like some kind of narrative factory farming of the Golden Age vibe? Just my opinion, of course, but it feels to me like taking an interesting idea and then beating it to death by overdoing it to the point where it actually lessens the impact of what's being done, something Johns has done before (I love the idea of the Sinestro Corps because it's organic to the character, but the Rainbow Corps just felt like taking something that initially worked well and running it into the ground).

Also, there are a lot of teen/kid heroes out there who could have been used without shoehorning in new creations. I'm thinking of characters like Empress, the Lorena Marquez Aquagirl, Son of Vulcan, Koryak, Inferno, Sinbad, Deep Blue, Misfit, Offspring, etc. Characters with actual histories that could be played up (though we do thankfully get some here). Would all readers have heard of any of these characters? Maybe not, but there'd at least be some who'd have some kind of built-in fondness for them. I don't know...maybe I'm just being cynical, but I can certainly imagine Johns creating a bunch of kids with Golden Age ties to use in future seasons of the Stargirl show (which obviously won't happen now), where as their creator he'd get paid for their use in the show, as well as his usual writing/showrunning/producing fees, just to clear a few more bucks, especially since being ousted from the cinematic DCU.
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 01-17-2023 at 09:35 PM.

I'd prefer it if they go back to their own time than stay in the present. The JSA have untapped potential as a vehicle for historical fiction so these new kids would be a way to do it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Also, there are a lot of teen/kid heroes out there who could have been used without shoehorning in new creations. I'm thinking of characters like Empress, the Lorena Marquez Aquagirl, Son of Vulcan, Koryak, Inferno, Sinbad, Deep Blue, Misfit, Offspring, etc. Characters with actual histories that could be played up (though we do thankfully get some here). Would all readers have heard of any of these characters? Maybe not, but there'd at least be some who'd have some kind of built-in fondness for them. I don't know...maybe I'm just being cynical, but I can certainly imagine Johns creating a bunch of kids with Golden Age ties to use in future seasons of the Stargirl show (which obviously won't happen now), where as their creator he'd get paid for their use in the show, as well as his usual writing/showrunning/producing fees, just to clear a few more bucks, especially since being ousted from the cinematic DCU.
    It's exactly what i thought, especially when i saw the daughter of Jay Garrick. For me, she was created for the Stargirl Show.

Also my biggest complaint is the creation of all this characters, because i have the feeling nobody apart Johns will use this creation. It's little pointless.

I am agree with the idea to use exist young characters who are in the limbo for the moment.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I do like adding a little color to the Golden Age cast.

Like I recently read JSA: The Golden Age, great book but I snickered realizing the cast was entirely white. Like its not a deal breaker or anything, just an observation that wow this era is really lacking in poc characters.

Sure all the newbies here prolly won't all be that major, but it does leave writers with a lot more to pick from for future stories.

I mean I like the idea that Johns teases for Salem that she comes back, finds out Kent is gone and that Khalid is fate and attempts to cause problems for him. It’s an interesting idea I’d like to see play out.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    where as their creator he'd get paid for their use in the show, as well as his usual writing/showrunning/producing fees, just to clear a few more bucks, especially since being ousted from the cinematic DCU.
    If he wanted more money, he'd be doing Geiger stuff 24/7 at Image aka Atomic Knights with the names filed off instead of this. The same for these new characters. Indies are far more profitable with someone of his rep especially since he would own all media rights and there's far less overhead costs. It's pretty clear why he is doing this because he actually does love the property.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-18-2023 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    If he wanted more money, he'd be doing Geiger stuff 24/7 at Image aka Atomic Knights with the names filed off instead of this. The same for these new characters. Indies are far more profitable with someone of his rep especially since he would own all media rights and there's far less overhead costs. It's pretty clear why he is doing this because he actually does love the property.
    Yeah there’s nothing stopping him from going the Mark Millar or Robert Kirkman route and just selling his indies straight to a streaming service. He probably has some connections in the tv and movie area because of his work.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It has to be because of Famous Bobby, who didn't exist until 1994. These should be the same kids from Conner Kent's backstory - they busted him out of Cadmus in his origin, right? And since Bobby's last name is Harper, her being the great-niece of Guardian Jim Harper, doesn't that mean she's also ANOTHER missing relative of Roy "Arsenal" Harper? Roy was even mentioned this issue, when Judy referred to Emiko as Speedy, thinking she was Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    It's exactly what i thought, especially when i saw the daughter of Jay Garrick. For me, she was created for the Stargirl Show.

Also my biggest complaint is the creation of all this characters, because i have the feeling nobody apart Johns will use this creation. It's little pointless.

I am agree with the idea to use exist young characters who are in the limbo for the moment.
    Judy's probably going to be used in both JSA and The Flash - it seems she's destined to operate as Jay's sidekick in the present day.

Since only Wing can be sent back to his own time (they've mentioned that his body is in his grave) and sending the others back would probably change history, they're probably all going to be stuck in the 2020s. Maybe they can form a new Infinity Inc team, led by Courtney, who with Emiko could guide them in how to live in the 21st century.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman