Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Just gonna throw this idea out there:

Per Degaton is a grown-up Corky Baxter.
    Whoa. You may be onto something.

He does seem kinda off and this story is about kid sidekicks and young members of teams.

If he busts out a coonskin cap during the final fight scene that would be nuts.

Childminer is an harpy, like in the greek myths?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    That is my impression, also.

Are the kids new inventions, or did they really exist in the Golden Age comics?

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    That is my impression, also.

Are the kids new inventions, or did they really exist in the Golden Age comics?
    Some are already existing characters, others are new characters.

Astonishing Member

Is there a chance Childminder and her boss are seeking Clark & Sally?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    There's a difference between "should be" and "has to be".
    Johns is creating how many new characters that are suddenly being inserted in the Golden Age period? What's to stop him from doing something similar with a previously existing post-1940s character?
    Look at Bobby's design. Long hair and bangs. Not a hairstyle kids would have back then (not before the late 50s I'd say), you only had bangs if you had bobbed hair. She's also wearing a hoodie, which wasn't commonplace before the 1970s and probably wasn't even invented in the 40s. She's totally anachronistic for a 40s character. She's definitely from the present day. Guardian was cloned too, not just the other Newsboys, so they're telling the truth about being Jim's sidekicks. The other Lost Children probably just assumed it was the 40s original and not the 90s clone.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Kinda surprised we haven't seen Secret yet, as we're at the midway point.

Wonder if she's gonna be the island itself?
    I think they're holding Secret back because she's from the present day too, and Courtney has met her before, so she'd recognise her from the time Young Justice tried to recruit her. That would prove that the kids are from different time periods. Though there is the question of why Greta Hayes is Secret again, as Darkseid had resurrected her at the end of the original Young Justice series, effectively depowering her. She was an amnesiac ghost for most of YJ's run (Courtney might only know her as Suzie because of that, the alias she adopted when she didn't know her real name).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-19-2023 at 07:57 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Honestly we have no idea what they want out of kidnapping golden age sidekicks
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I got the impression she was based on Baba Yaga and her hut, hence the chicken feet.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I think that Childminder's boss is Per Degaton, as Johns have said in interviews that both books would be connected and the consquences of Stargirl would be explored in JSA and so far Per Degaton's agenda is destroying the JSA (at least from what we've seen in the new golden age issue). Right now the only ones interested in Clark and Sally would be Nostalgia, Mime and Marionette.

Here's a thought. Obviously Judy will be reunited with Jay, but if the other Lost Children are stuck in 2023, where are the ones not originally from the present going to go? Tick-Tock's the only one I think of an answer for, as his mentor Rex's son Rick is the current Hourman, so he and Jesse could adopt him. What about everyone else? Are the JSA going to have to establish a boarding school for them?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Here's a thought. Obviously Judy will be reunited with Jay, but if the other Lost Children are stuck in 2023, where are the ones not originally from the present going to go? Tick-Tock's the only one I think of an answer for, as his mentor Rex's son Rick is the current Hourman, so he and Jesse could adopt him. What about everyone else? Are the JSA going to have to establish a boarding school for them?
    Could be an option. But for example Ms America is still alive (she is basically immortal) so she could take Betsy and Molly. John Henry could for example live with his descendants Steel and Natasha Irons. The Newsboys Legion could be under Guardian's care. The original Robotman is still alive, so Robbie would probably return to him. And the rest, yeah the majority are now orphans (like Ladybug) or were orphans before their careers as sidekicks started (like Cherry Bomb or Quiz Kid), so they would probably end under the JSA's care.

Actually, thinking about it, I've got a crazy idea. What if the Childminder is the first 'Robin' Seeley introduced in Robins last year, Jenny Wren, somehow. Think about it, she's got a grudge against sidekicks, has a bird theme complete with egg-robots (which my Baba Yaga idea doens't really explain), would tie-her into the Huntress thematically as well as the first sidekick in comics (AFAIK, there might have been one earlier than Robin?). It's a nuts idea, granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Could be an option. But for example Ms America is still alive (she is basically immortal) so she could take Betsy and Molly. John Henry could for example live with his descendants Steel and Natasha Irons. The Newsboys Legion could be under Guardian's care. The original Robotman is still alive, so Robbie would probably return to him. And the rest, yeah the majority are now orphans (like Ladybug) or were orphans before their careers as sidekicks started (like Cherry Bomb or Quiz Kid), so they would probably end under the JSA's care.
    Just remembered, Air Wave is related to Green Lantern Hal Jordan, so he's probably going to end up with him. I wonder what Hal will do with him? He doesn't strike me as the paternal type.

There are numerous new sidekicks who have never appeared before. Very few of the new characters (Judy Garrick, Salem) have potential story outside of this mini-series. I don't see Michael Holt taking on Quiz Kid as a sidekick and many of the others are sidekicks of heroes who aren't active or even alive. Outside of Stargirl and her Golden Age Teen Titans is there really story potential for most of these characters?

I still think Corky Baxter is a big key point in this story. The post-COIE Corky killed himself in the 1990 Time Masters mini-series. The coonskin cap version of Corky is Flashpoijnt Corky. Is Corky even alive in current day DC Comics? Corky getting knocked back into the timestream and becoming Prof. Zee's assistant connects the two people who refuse to accept their support roles in time travel science.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    There are numerous new sidekicks who have never appeared before. Very few of the new characters (Judy Garrick, Salem) have potential story outside of this mini-series. I don't see Michael Holt taking on Quiz Kid as a sidekick and many of the others are sidekicks of heroes who aren't active or even alive. Outside of Stargirl and her Golden Age Teen Titans is there really story potential for most of these characters?
    Definitely agree Judy Garrick has strong story potential, probably as a new member of the JSA, and I'll be surprised if she doesn't show up in the current 12 issue series.

As for the others, I think they have story potential as a group more than as separate characters... whether that's back in their 1940's time period, or being stranded in the present. Doubtful we'd see even a mini for them as individuals, but as the 1940's JSA Juniors, or as a modern timelost group there could be story potential.
    But don't see a Quiz Kid or Cherry Bomb mini in our future!