Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- I'm constantly reminded of Nanny and Orphan Maker from the X-Men, which is a bit distracting. More the egg-bots than Childminder, but still...
    -- I'm really liking Courtney and Emiko's frindship.
    -- I was surprised just how many kids were on the island, yet somehow not in Childminder's custody. Or is simply being on the island the same as being her prisoner? And while it was interesting to meet so many sidekicks, I feel Wing, Judy and Airwave will be the standouts. I'm looking to be pleasantly surprised if they all somehow end up being significant.
    I’m not sure if being on the island makes you a prisoner but there are apparently enough traps that it’s hard to leave and none of these golden age kids have escaped in decades almost a quarter or more of a century so whose to say.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I suspect that part of the reasoning (at least with some of them) is to retcon some more diversity back in the Golden Age.
    Oh, no doubt. Personally, I would have been okay with DC acknowledging that a bunch of white dudes in the 30s didn't think to be inclusive and to challenge that, but I'm okay with this too. As long as it's a good story, which so far I am enjoying.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-22-2023 at 07:57 PM.

I wonder if Airwave is related to Hal's father?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-22-2023 at 10:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I wonder if Airwave is related to Hal's father?
    If by Hal you mean Hal Jordan aka Green Lantern - then the second Air Wave has been Green Lantern's Cousin since his introduction in the Bronze Age

If by Hal you mean the teen Air Wave seen in the series then his father is the original Air Wave.

Either way Larry Jordan (the original Air Wave) was the brother of Martin Jordan. Martin named his son Harold (Hal) and that son grew up to be Green Lantern. Larry named his son Hal, as well, but Larry died while his Hal was an infant. Larry's teen-aged son found the Air wave suit and asked his cousin Green Lantern to train him.

Incredible Member

I suspect that part of the reasoning (at least with some of them) is to retcon some more diversity back in the Golden Age.
    True, but the main reason was so Johns could get more money via royalties.

He confirmed the Infinity Inc two parter in Stargirl was meant to lead to a spinoff with Jade, Obsidian, and Shade where they find children/sidekicks of the Justice Society. 100% Judy was going to end up in season 1 of that given how popular Jay is.

It's also probably why Ruby was created. Obsidian and Shade probably had their separate B plot to themselves (with Ian Karkull open for use if they wanted), and with Brainwave Jr already dead and her storyline with Grundy used with Rick in Stargirl (and her time with Kyle not really resulting in much/any solo material...), Jade simply doesn't have any villains or comic storylines for inspiration.

Justice Society of America #2 leaks:
    spoilers:
    Salem shows up, as well as the Golden Age Mr. Miracle, who apparently leads "Justice Society Dark".
    end of spoilers

Justice Society of America #2 leaks:
    spoilers:
    Salem shows up, as well as the Golden Age Mr. Miracle, who apparently leads "Justice Society Dark".
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I mean the point of the timeline changes is that characters like Salem did in fact exist before she disappeared to Childminder’s island. Also Johns sneaking in another character in with the Bride of Grundy apparently.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Looks like artist problems.

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    True, but the main reason was so Johns could get more money via royalties.
    Again, look at Geiger. If he wanted money, he would have brought the stuff to Image. The royalties he gets from his own show using this stuff is paltry compared to owning the IP and selling the media rights. And that was from an Atomic Knights comic that nobody wanted. DC creators are not getting rich from the CW royalties
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-23-2023 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    If by Hal you mean Hal Jordan aka Green Lantern - then the second Air Wave has been Green Lantern's Cousin since his introduction in the Bronze Age

If by Hal you mean the teen Air Wave seen in the series then his father is the original Air Wave.

Either way Larry Jordan (the original Air Wave) was the brother of Martin Jordan. Martin named his son Harold (Hal) and that son grew up to be Green Lantern. Larry named his son Hal, as well, but Larry died while his Hal was an infant. Larry's teen-aged son found the Air wave suit and asked his cousin Green Lantern to train him.
    Thanks for the info. I thought this Airwave was Hal's uncle.

Fantastic Member

Love Nanuck's art, but I suspect you're right.
    --jthree

I loved the issue. Great writing great art.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I’m enjoying the series overall, but will be very curious where it lands with the characters and their connections to the JSA. Could be interesting if the JSA gets its own version of Young Justice out of this… and an out of time version.

I’d like to see Infinity Inc again with Fury, Obsidian, Jade, Harlequin’s Son and others joining who are the children of the JSA. (I guess Judi would fit that aspect.)

Back to the kids… I don’t mind the retcons, but with all the characters with Golden Age ties, I’d love to see the All-Star Squadron return as an extended family and friends reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    Haven't really cared for Johns revisionism in recent years. Barry's parents dying, possibly the new Helena Wayne's origin (pre-COIE Selina died, then Bruce), and as you this "retroactively saddling" of new sidekicks to an already mixed up continuity. Why do so many current writers do this?

--jthree
    Fans like to fix things even if they aren't broken. And it's not like every fan agrees so he's no different than JJ Abrams doing Star Wars/Trek and any of the Doctor Who showrunners.

I don't think Johns take on the JSA would work as a new IP. Best he could do would be to team up with Archie or Dynamite and use a bunch of obscure public domain characters they have access to. Or do something with Valiant Comics but they are on their last legs.

Although Jeff Lemire's Black Hammer proved it would work. So maybe I spoke too soon. Lol.

I just feel Johns is a super DC fan and he wanted to add more toys to the toy chest.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-23-2023 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Fans like to fix things even if they aren't broken. And it's not like every fan agrees so he's no different than JJ Abrams doing Star Wars/Trek and any of the Doctor Who showrunners.

I don't think Johns take on the JSA would work as a new IP. Best he could do would be to team up with Archie or Dynamite and use a bunch of obscure public domain characters they have access to. Or do something with Valiant Comics but they are on their last legs.

Although Jeff Lemire's Black Hammer proved it would work. So maybe I spoke too soon. Lol.

I just feel Johns is a super DC fan and he wanted to add more toys to the toy chest.
    I agree..toxics fans don't see things that make the DC universe more divesrse.. I'm loving ALL these new charecters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbauer View Post
    I agree..toxics fans don't see things that make the DC universe more divesrse.. I'm loving ALL these new charecters.
    Honestly I get why fans don't like new characters. DC tends to screw them up and it can become costly trying to support. I wanna support the Future State characters but outside of Jace and Jo from Far Sector, the others are duds. Eventually your patience would run out so it's safer to use an existing character. There are plenty of existing minority characters that could use a revamp. But they probably wouldn't get Johns that residual money and being creative is fun. It's why people create new characters in fanfiction.

When I was a kid I created a lame kid Wolverine type of character for the TT show. It was fun to do even though I'm super embarrassed by him. Although I wanna revisit him in a fanfic...

The best place for them would be the imprints like Zoom, Ink and Black Label. The graphic novel format and the direct access to new audiences seems like the better place for all the new characters. You cut out the middleman and you could avoid the perils of comic book time without sending them to the past.