Default Should Marvel do a "Retro" style Handbook in the mold of the first 80s one?

Marvel had many handbooks but--how about a new one but in the same look (but todays art of course) or they can make the newer heroes "80s art" if they want that was never in the 80s. Unlike the later ones that had multiple pages for a hero each hero or bad guy or team gets one page. Like the first series the info, little history and stats with some cool pictures.

In other words, kind of like the first handbook, transformers universe and gijoe order of battle pages. Last issues can be the "book of the dad" again.

They don't need every hero but pick some fun ones like death's head and planet terry with the big ones like hulk and thor and it could be a fun limited series. Of course, the profiles would fit great in a trade later. Marvel could even take on vote what lesser-known heroes to include.

Think marvel should do a retro handbook?

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Personally I'm surprised it simply isn't a simple computer program.

The issues of Marvel Universe that sold well were the ones which had a popular character. And interest went down by about issue 5 or 6. So to me, a computer database, in this same vein that costs about $20, would be the best thing around.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I think status quos change so often now that it would become outdated so quickly

It's obsolete in the age of Wikipedia.

It would be more a fun 80s throwback than worried about status and being out of date. Plus, if they do the 80s retro art they can use characters who were never around then giving us a look at what they would have looked like in the 80s like ms marvel or moon girl. Or just stick to modern art. They could even take a note from transformers dreamwave handbook comic (also most one page) and have other characters write the profile! Prime did the bumblebee while megatron did one for a smart but weak micromaster talking about how he is so weak they would have killed him themselves, but he is so good at plans megatron told them to leave him alone! Led to some fun colorful profiles when talking about weakness and strengths when other characters are saying it!

I would also love a 80s style star wars handbook as for some reason marvel never made a star wars handbook limited series in the 80s! they made multiple marvel, conan, gijoe and transformers handbooks but no star wars!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    It would be more a fun 80s throwback than worried about status and being out of date. Plus, if they do the 80s retro art they can use characters who were never around then giving us a look at what they would have looked like in the 80s like ms marvel or moon girl. Or just stick to modern art. They could even take a note from transformers dreamwave handbook comic (also most one page) and have other characters write the profile! Prime did the bumblebee while megatron did one for a smart but weak micromaster talking about how he is so weak they would have killed him themselves, but he is so good at plans megatron told them to leave him alone! Led to some fun colorful profiles when talking about weakness and strengths when other characters are saying it!

I would also love a 80s style star wars handbook as for some reason marvel never made a star wars handbook limited series in the 80s! they made multiple marvel, conan, gijoe and transformers handbooks but no star wars!
    Maybe a one-shot with 21st century characters done in 1980's style. But as others have said, an online dynamic handbook is the best way to handle this today.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I'd rather buy the trade paperbacks of the original books. can you still find them? black/white reprints?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Maybe a one-shot with 21st century characters done in 1980's style. But as others have said, an online dynamic handbook is the best way to handle this today.
    ^^^This is the way to go.

Can't hold an online version, however or put it on your bookshelf or give it to your nephew to help him get into comics. Would want a real comic or graphic novel for it like those handbooks one shots marvel did in the late 90s/ early 2000s.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The problem is the index would be out of date the minute the ink dried for most of the ongoing characters. Especially since we now seem to be in an age where writers give characters all manner of power-ups and constantly tweak their histories/origins and such. Online wiki works best...but it really should be maintained by Marvel, not just individual fans.

First handbook had stats, little write up on who they were, strengths and weakness and cool new pictures. It didn't go three pages of history like the second handbook did. It does not matter if it goes out of date. "Here is this hero" and some quick info. DCs who's who later ones did kind of this also. As did dreamwaves transformers profile books.

Look at the goldbug above. Does not go into his full history. Didn't need to. Info in one page. Not asking for a full wiki just fun one-page profiles with fun new art in a limited series in a nostalgia of the classic handbooks.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-18-2023 at 10:52 AM.