Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Were Duke's Urban Legends stories good

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And 8 years of Black Panther bashing and trashing is suppose to be better? Where they seem to only hire folks who openly hate T'Challa or want to explore Wakanda ONLY.

Cyborg has a book nobody is buying and the best they could get was a college student to write him.

Once again call me when some REAL writers or better yet a REAL editor who is willing to do their job and act like they give a BLEEP about these guys.

Far too many times we keep HEARING it but it never reflects in the books.
    This is the rub with books led by minority characters I find. More often than not there’s a complaint that these sort of books aren’t pushed but the truth is when they are ignored. This new Cyborg series is being ignored. You can blame the unknown team if you want, but last time he got a solo he got a push with big creative team and couldn’t make it to double digit issues. Or when they do put big names on the titles it’s ripped apart ala John Ridley or Coates on BP or Batman. So from a company perspective why bother with the headache ?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    This is the rub with books led by minority characters I find. More often than not there’s a complaint that these sort of books aren’t pushed but the truth is when they are ignored. This new Cyborg series is being ignored. You can blame the unknown team if you want, but last time he got a solo he got a push with big creative team and couldn’t make it to double digit issues. Or when they do put big names on the titles it’s ripped apart ala John Ridley or Coates on BP or Batman. So from a company perspective why bother with the headache ?
    Because if you don’t the. You have the headache of being called a company that isn’t diverse enough. I think milestone should join the DC prime so Static and Rocket can thrive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Because if you don’t the. You have the headache of being called a company that isn’t diverse enough. I think milestone should join the DC prime so Static and Rocket can thrive.
    Yeah. That's the headache they would try to avoid.

Unfortunately, this means they wouldn't have a lot of expectatives on book with minorities leads. So they won't invest a lot in these books.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Yeah. That's the headache they would try to avoid.

Unfortunately, this means they wouldn't have a lot of expectatives on book with minorities leads. So they won't invest a lot in these books.
    Look at City Boy, The Vigil and Spirit World.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    there is hope for our boy yet...

Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Look at City Boy, The Vigil and Spirit World.
    I'm liking Spirit World and the Vigil. DC does try with minorities and new characters but they do move on to the next one easily.

I'm hoping they give him another shot.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-15-2023 at 02:22 PM.

is he still in high school currently?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    To my knowledge/awareness, since that element of his storyline hasn't been picked up in a long time, I'm not sure.

Extraordinary Member

He’s in college

it's implied he's in college now as of "Signal & the Outsiders" in Urban Legends, the story arc where he cures his mom. he appears to be living in his own apartment (or possibly a dorm) and the classes he's shown taking appear to be more lecture hall than classroom, which actually makes sense. if you follow Duke's appearances chronologically (and a couple adjacent books) you can more or less make out a timeline of his superhero career.

from We are Robin (Duke's listed as 16) > All Star Batman > Dark Knights Metal > Batman & The Signal (says 1 year has passed since training with bruce) > Batman & the Outsiders + year of the villain and the justice-doom war (takes place over the course of roughly 1 year) > Death Metal > post-Death Metal it appears two years have passed. this would make Duke around 18, possibly 19 considering i believe in some other Bat book another year has passed since the initial post-Death Metal phase, and plausibly in college.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Were Duke's Urban Legends stories good
    They're really good additions to Duke's essential reads. the first one does a great job showing the potential intrigue and badassery of Duke by tying directly to his Future State story (which i felt was awesome), and both Future State and the first Urban legends story showcase Duke's capacity as a beacon of hope and a full-fledge superhero. the second story does a good job moving Duke's character forward by giving us an updated glimpse into Duke's day to day life and tying up the jokerized mom storyline, which effectively bookends Duke's origin story.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-02-2023 at 05:56 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

it's implied he's in college now as of "Signal & the Outsiders" in Urban Legends, the story arc where he cures his mom. he appears to be living in his own apartment (or possibly a dorm) and the classes he's shown taking appear to be more lecture hall than classroom, which actually makes sense. if you follow Duke's appearances chronologically (and a couple adjacent books) you can more or less make out a timeline of his superhero career.

from We are Robin (Duke's listed as 16) > All Star Batman > Dark Knights Metal > Batman & The Signal (says 1 year has passed since training with bruce) > Batman & the Outsiders + year of the villain and the justice-doom war (takes place over the course of roughly 1 year) > Death Metal > post-Death Metal it appears two years have passed. this would make Duke around 18, possibly 19 considering i believe in some other Bat book another year has passed since the initial post-Death Metal phase, and plausibly in college.
    Don't know, with Tim, Cass and Steph still being written like teen, and with how little they have actually used Duke in the last 5 years is seems odd to age him up to collage age.

Ultimate Member

They're really good additions to Duke's essential reads. the one does a great job showing the potential intrigue and badassery of Duke by tying directly to his Future State story (which i felt was awesome), and both showcase Duke's capacity as a beacon of hope and a full-fledge superhero. the second story does a good job moving Duke's character forward by giving us an updated glimpse into Duke's day to day life and tying up the jokerized mom storyline, which effectively bookends Duke's origin story.
    Except for his biological father plotline.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Don't know, with Tim, Cass and Steph still being written like teen, and with how little they have actually used Duke in the last 5 years is seems odd to age him up to collage age.
    Tim Cass and Steph are the odd ones
    The world is turning moving and evolving while their frozen

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Tim Cass and Steph are the odd ones
    The world is turning moving and evolving while their frozen
    I would argue that currently that characters who do age are the odd ones out, since the majority of the DC characters don't significantly age.