Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Lol, This cat is the complication Scott was really talking about and rightfully so. Dark Web is just the precursor to INFURNO.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Lol, This cat is the complication Scott was really talking about and rightfully so. Dark Web is just the precursor to INFURNO.
    Word on the street is that this cat was behind the kidnapped puppies too. Can’t wait till Infurno takes over the line after SoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Word on the street is that this cat was behind the kidnapped puppies too. Can’t wait till Infurno takes over the line after SoS.
    I knew it!!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    That makes little sense because Scott is not on the council so he doesn't know how any of the particular council would feel on much let alone the resurrection of maddie.
    Emma would likely tell him and Jean, though I doubt the QC would keep their opinions and rulings on the matters secret from either of them.

we have also seen him be asked to leave the room when discussions were being made in other books, i think one even storm had to let him know it was council business if i'm remembering correctly so it's far more of a stretch to believe he's talking for the council rather than looking out for his wife.
    See above. Also, regarding the part of your reply that I highlighted, precisely. It is far more believable to me, especially considering historical precedent, that Scott was "looking out for his wife" rather than presuming to speak for her or implying what she feels about the matter. Look, I can't say why editorial and/or the writers chose not to reveal Jean's stance on Madelyne's resurrection until now, but I am certain that what has been revealed is in line both with her character and her history. Perhaps they intentionally saved this revelation to make it more impactful? I don't know, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

And nobody, at least as far as i know its going to try to make you forget 40 years of history but i know i don't really care about 40 years of history, heck i'm not even 40. lol i can acknowledge the past what i won't do is try to line it up one for one with the present to make something sit in my head a certain way.
    This is fair, but to be clear, I've seen you care quite a bit "about 40 years of history" when it comes to Ororo, her character, her abilities, and I don't begrudge you for it. In fact, I tend to agree with you and anyone else who uses a character's history to prove points or offer insights into where that character is now. Frankly, I think it's almost impossible to meaningfully assess and analyze comic book characters without referring to their history.

And because of the times Jean has, in some way or other, shown empathy for Madelyne throughout the years, this issue is a big payoff to those of us who have paid attention to those moments. Hell, I've seen people who haven't paid attention to those moments react positively to this issue because of what it means and symbolizes for both characters. However, I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, and I am in no position to act as if they're wrong. But I won't not point out when people are judging Jean as a character based on their own wants and biases rather than on what's been established about her.

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    Literally, the worst that comes from this is issue to me, personally, is that I won't spend any more money on Gerry Duggan books. Or at least think very deeply if it's worth my money. Which honestly isn't that big of a deal.
    This is fair.

I think, at the end of the day, we need to remember we're talking about fictional characters here. It's honestly doesn't need to be that deep, Mercury. You don't need to keep making passive aggressive and outright aggressive asides against people, their character, and intelligence for having a disagreement about a fictional character.
    This is also fair and important to note. However, I don't think I've passively or overtly attacked anyone's character or intelligence. And if some feel I have, I sincerely apologize.

Yes, fictional characters can be meaningful and have impact, but at the end of the day they're not real. It's okay for people to dislike a fictional person or have a different interpretation. We all engage with media differently and bring different perspectives and histories. That's what makes literary criticism and analysis fun. Someone disliking a character or disagreeing with you isn't an attack on your character, you know?
    I get that, but when people make a concerted effort to ignore aspects of a character's history, especially when they directly pertain to the discussion/debate at hand, just to shoehorn in their interpretation, it's hard to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He knows because he spoke directly to the QC about Maddie's resurrection. See Hellions #4 where Scott tells Alex that he tried but the QC was against it. Its a logical assumption that he heard all their objections to it when he pleaded his case. I also dont think he would have felt comfortable pleading for Maddie if Jean was directly opposed to it. Unless we believe Scott was lying to Alex about trying but if thats the case, then you cant trust that he wasnt lying when he mentioned the complications line. Later in #18, he speaks to Alex again and mentions that Emma smoothed things over. Being in contact with her, he likely knows her argument and how she was able to do so. I dont think Scott is as clueless as you might be implying him to be
    Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Too damn adorable. Sorry for being a drag. 🥹
    Last edited by Mercury; 01-19-2023 at 04:02 PM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

1. Seriously not getting the drama over that Hellions scene. It's painfully obvious Cyke was referring to the majority of the Council not wanting to deal with Maddie going on an animal cruelty rampage and crying over Jean beating her up or whatever.

2. Also not getting why anyone would even suggest Jean voted against resurrecting Maddie. Election-meddling aside, Jean's been collecting Good/Light Side/Paragon points like they're freakin' Pokemons ever since X-Men Red. Shouldn't even be a debate, really. What's hilarious beyond belief, though, is that she's acting as if it's something to *brag* about in the middle of a freakin' terrorist attack on a civilian stronghold, lolololol.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    1. Seriously not getting the drama over that Hellions scene. It's painfully obvious Cyke was referring to the majority of the Council not wanting to deal with Maddie going on an animal cruelty rampage and crying over Jean beating her up or whatever.

2. Also not getting why anyone would even suggest Jean voted against resurrecting Maddie. Election-meddling aside, Jean's been collecting Good/Light Side/Paragon points like they're freakin' Pokemons ever since X-Men Red. Shouldn't even be a debate, really. What's hilarious beyond belief, though, is that she's acting as if it's something to *brag* about in the middle of a freakin' terrorist attack on a civilian stronghold, lolololol.

LOL...thanks for the laugh. But on a serious note, yea. Jean has ALWAYS been empathetic towards Maddie since the truth about them was revealed. Mercury has made good points and not only was Jean in this issue consistent with her previous stance on Maddie, its also consistent with the Jean we've been seeing since X-men Red, like you mention. This is the same Jean that chose to deal with Cassandra by trying to rehabilitate her with empathy rather than obliterating her. Jean shows mercy to her oppoents even when there is a good argument why she shouldnt

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I'm feline like it will end in catastrophe.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Simple: Because she—and Jean, to honest—deserved it. That said, this event is about Ben, too, and he hasn’t gotten closure yet.
    Will agree to disagree on this and leave it at that.

BANNED

There's a way to have Jean doing the nice thing and the right thing with some nuance to it, some thought behind it, a little wriggle of doubt so that there's some believability and interest to it. The writing is just kinda basic though, so it's easy to lampoon her this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Emma would likely tell him and Jean, though I doubt the QC would keep their opinions and rulings on the matters secret from either of them.

See above. Also, regarding the part of your reply that I highlighted, precisely. It is far more believable to me, especially considering historical precedent, that Scott was "looking out for his wife" rather than presuming to speak for her or implying what she feels about the matter. Look, I can't say why editorial and/or the writers chose not to reveal Jean's stance on Madelyne's resurrection until now, but I am certain that what has been revealed is in line both with her character and her history. Perhaps they intentionally saved this revelation to make it more impactful? I don't know, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

This is fair, but to be clear, I've seen you care quite a bit "about 40 years of history" when it comes to Ororo, her character, her abilities, and I don't begrudge you for it. In fact, I tend to agree with you and anyone else who uses a character's history to prove points or offer insights into where that character is now. Frankly, I think it's almost impossible to meaningfully assess and analyze comic book characters without referring to their history.

And because of the times Jean has, in some way or other, shown empathy for Madelyne throughout the years, this issue is a big payoff to those of us who have paid attention to those moments. Hell, I've seen people who haven't paid attention to those moments react positively to this issue because of what it means and symbolizes for both characters. However, I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, and I am in no position to act as if they're wrong. But I won't not point out when people are judging Jean as a character based on their own wants and biases rather than on what's been established about her.

This is fair.

This is also fair and important to note. However, I don't think I've passively or overtly attacked anyone's character or intelligence. And if some feel I have, I sincerely apologize.

I get that, but when people make a concerted effort to ignore aspects of a character's history, especially when they directly pertain to the discussion/debate at hand, just to shoehorn in their interpretation, it's hard to ignore.

Good points.

Too damn adorable. Sorry for being a drag. ��
    Please show me the post where I care about 40 years of ororo history cause I actively tell people not to buy her stuff if they don't want to read it. You have a way of wording things to try to support imo a subconscious level of doubt in others to support your opinions and it's kind of weird to me. What specifically do I care about from 40 years that I try to defend against others rather than giving my personal opinion on a subject rather than a barrage of reasons why others should feel the same because this post feels so two faced I'm kind of like really. It's just weird. It just feels drenched in a level of passive aggressiveness. "I don't hold you to something but I see over 40 years of this in you and don't begrudge but digress and have compassion but in defense."
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Spectacular Member

Maddie is different from the other clones. Gabby has always been her own person, despite being a clone. Due to all the retcons and changes it can be unclear how much of Maddie is her own person and how much of her is a piece of Jean. I personally believe Maddie to be her own person, regardless of how she was originally born, but it isn't hard to imagine Mr Sinister pushing for Maddie to not being considered an individual.

"Dark Web is the work meeting that could have been an email"@ Blerd Without Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    "Dark Web is the work meeting that could have been an email"@ Blerd Without Fear
    I have to admit that's honestly a fair description of the mini.

Not to keep something going but I do not understand those that assumed (or believed) that Jean would have voted not to resurrect Maddie. Cyclops' comments in the Hellions book told us nothing about what Jean felt about it - it sort of hinted perhaps how Scott felt about it (a complication). I think they left it ambiguous on purpose and some fans decided on their own how they suspect the vote or debate played out.

I agree with those that pointed out that Jean has shown empathy toward Maddie multiple times in the past. To me it never made sense that Jean would be against resurrecting Maddie. I don't think it was ever shown on panel who specifically created the "no copies/no clones" rule maybe it was QC or Xavier/Moira/Magneto - though it was an interesting story in New Mutants to see how Krakoa evolved from the no clone position especially considering characters like Scout or even the cuckoos.

The reaction about Dark Web seems mixed, but I found it to be an enjoyable story. I liked that Maddie continues to be humanized (talk about a character that has a rough history), and once again we see through actions who Jean Grey is. I know some recoil at "Saint Jean" and I would argue she wasn't the saint version in this story because she did use physical violence and did lose her temper but ultimately Jean is an empathic and compassionate character and that usually does shine through.

I am eager to see where the X-office puts Maddie next, if she will stay the queen of Limbo or if she will join Alex on an X-men team or what.