View Poll Results: Should Jimmy Know Superman’s Secret Identity?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes he should know

26 57.78%
  • No he should not know

19 42.22%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Should Jimmy Olsen Know Superman’s Secret Identity?

With DC hitting the reset button in Action Comics #1050, Superman’s identity is once more a secret from the general public. One of those people who have seemingly forgotten the secret will be Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen, given he was not one of the people listed as remembering. I personally am disappointed that Jimmy’s knowledge of the secret is being erased but I’m curious how the rest of you feel. Do you prefer Jimmy knowing or do you think it takes away from the Clark/Jimmy relationship for Jimmy to know?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I like Jimmy knowing. I see him as Clark's best friend (other than Lois) and on a very short list of people who know.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

At.some.point,but I want them to mine him having his 2 best friends being the same person,and he has no clue,thst comedy gold.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Jimmy shouldn't know. The original classic status quo was that Jimmy didn't know, and that's how I like it.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I feel like he can be trusted with it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I feel like he can be trusted with it.

It's kkt about trusting him,it's about cool story potential
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

NEITHER! I'd write him as someone who thinks he knows, and helps Clark/Superman, but isn't really on the inside. But since he... suspects(rightly), he deflects scrutiny, despite not really knowing anything.

Spectacular Member

No, he should not. But everbody shoould think he, as Superman's Pal, does.
    He should know Batman and Robin's secret identities.
    That was the status quo during the Silver Age. We also need more Olsen-Grayson team-ups.

Incredible Member

At this point, we've seen him find out in Pre-Flashpoint, we've seen him find out in New 52, we've seen him find out post-Reborn, and he's back to not knowing. If nothing else, cementing him as knowing saves us from seeing him find out another 3 or 4 times.

But honestly giving him an actual stable role in the stories, instead of just being Mr. "Shows up every once in a while for fanservice", is far more important.

I voted No.

I am of the mind that his Secret Identity is ..... Secret. Nobody at the Planet or in the League should know it until he tells them. Lois can know if they are married and I don't think Luthor should know. DC has gone bonkers with both Lex and Bruce while minimizing the likes of Supes et al. Hopefully one day that will stop

Is there really any need for Jimmy to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I voted No.

I am of the mind that his Secret Identity is ..... Secret. Nobody at the Planet or in the League should know it until he tells them. Lois can know if they are married and I don't think Luthor should know. DC has gone bonkers with both Lex and Bruce while minimizing the likes of Supes et al. Hopefully one day that will stop
    What does that have to do with who does or doesn't know Superman's secret identity? And how is Superman minimized compared to Luthor?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    There's no need for him not to if we're to take him being Superman's best friend seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    My ideal take for Jimmy is that he’s Clark’s closest friend and confidant. I prefer him in that role over the traditional Post Crisis choice of Ma and Pa. But he can’t really be that if Clark won’t share his identity with Jimmy, there will always be a wall between them. Given most writers have struggled to give something to do with the traditional set up of him not knowing, I don’t see much value in once again taking the knowledge from him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

I think Jimmy has to know, otherwise, as most DC writers in the last few decades will ignore the character, he is no longer close or friends with Clark, he is not Superman's best friend, he barely matters from the comics and doesn't seem close to Clark, unless the majority of people who voted no, want Batman to be Clark's best friend and Batman to keep showing up and talking to the best friend

I want him to be Clark and supermans best friend,just oblivious to both being the same person.

Since Lois knows and has lived with the secret for a long time now ,Jimmy is the one who doesn't,but is so close he should

Not to mention Jimmy has alwsys been a comedic fun character,being best friends with both and not knowing lends itself to fun