Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Are you in favor of Clark’s costume “evolving” over time?

One of the concepts I’ve always liked about Batman is how they’ve canonized pretty much every costume he’s ever worn and connected it to a period in his life. He switches from black to blue as part of his “lightening up” after taking in Dick, switches back to black once Jason dies, etc. I’m curious how people would feel about something similar for Superman:

Normally aside from minor details like the shape of the S-shield, whatever costume Clark puts on when he becomes Superman “for real” is what he wears for his whole career until old age. Would you guys be open to more iterating on Clark’s part with regards to the costume? I personally like the idea that his “early years” looks differs greatly from his “iconic” look while still being similar enough to be recognizable as Superman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I think I definitely support an evolving costume, that's probably my current headcanon. Though my current headcanon is probably far more traditional, just using the canon comics costumes we've seen (maybe along with the Fleischer suit since I basically consider those cartoons as actual GA comics).

Though I'm a super traditionalist, I probably/maybe could support a very brief period of this: (pardon the super cringe crude MS paint work)
    (quite a leap for me considering I thought I totally hated or rejected the jeans)
    slazzer-edit-image (5)a.jpg
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-18-2023 at 09:44 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yeah I like that idea. It's a subtle kind of story building.

Astonishing Member

I really like that Superboy look.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Oh yeah, all for it. There's just so many cool looking costumes he's had over time that I often find it hard for me to pick just one as a fave. It'd be cool to represent them all with regards to his growth/changes as a character.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I didn't until Superman and Lois did it. That's the first time I think it actually worked. I think it was the Fleischer suit being his first suit that did it for me. So I think it depends on how they do it. It also helps that his current suit on the show is a cross between the New 52 and Rebirth and even the Returns suit.
    Assassinate Putin!

I thought this was going to be a discussion about dropping the trunks.

But, yes, I also am open to the possibility of stablish the evolving costume through the years, caninizing every iteration. But I would add a futuristic Legion Uniform, one who will be used only in the future.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

as long as he keeps wearing those hats....
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I thought this was going to be a discussion about dropping the trunks.

But, yes, I also am open to the possibility of stablish the evolving costume through the years, caninizing every iteration. But I would add a futuristic Legion Uniform, one who will be used only in the future.
    Hah that particular debate has been beaten to death, what I’m interested in seeing is if people like the idea of Superman’s costume changing at all to reflect different periods in his life. Seems most people are open to it.

If I was mapping out his costume changes to periods it would be something like what I posted in the OP:
    Year 1 - Golden Age S-shield t-shirt and jeans
    Year 2 - Fleschier S-shield t-shirt and jeans
    Year 3 - Classic suit
    Return - Black Suit/Solar Suit
    After Death and Return - Wears the New 52 armor because Doomsday taught him that his natural gifts may not be enough to protect him so he overcompensates for a bit with the armor
    After marrying Lois - Wears the all blue Rebirth outfit for a bit
    After Jon is born - Wears the Superman Reborn suit with the belt and no trunks
    Old Man Superman - Kingdom Come/Authority suits
    Superman One Million - Golden God form
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If I was mapping out his costume changes to periods it would be something like what I posted in the OP:
    My map (I kinda hate the "Years" thing, I prefer to keep the time periods more vague and amorphous in length):

First very brief costume: Golden Age S-shield long sleeve shirt and very regular ol' farmer jeans/boots (jeans/boots like Rags did)
    slazzer-edit-image (5).jpg
    Second costume: The "Action #1ish/Shuster '36 sketches strongmanesque GA S-Shield" costume (SEE IMAGE BELOW)
    Third costume: Fleischer (to symbolically represent the "war years")
    Fourth: Classic
    After: Most of the Post-COIE costumes/variations we've seen (probably some I'd leave out like New 52 armor, all blue, etc)
    Old Man Superman: Kingdom Come/Authority suits
    Final Superman: Golden God Superman Prime form (per One Million)

My "Action #1ish/Shuster '36 sketches strongmanesque GA S-Shield" costume possible rendition:
    slazzer-edit-image (5)a.jpgAttachment 128584
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-19-2023 at 07:10 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Outside of an early period where the suit is sort of a "work in progress". I prefer the suit largely unchanged in design. Any variation on the page should fall under the same category as different artists drawing Lois or Clark differently- the images might not look the same but in-universe Clark always looks like Clark and Lois always looks like Lois. Same way the size of the shield is the same proportion regardless of how much larger or smaller the artist draws it, the belt is the same belt regardless of variations in depiction, etc;

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hah that particular debate has been beaten to death, what I’m interested in seeing is if people like the idea of Superman’s costume changing at all to reflect different periods in his life. Seems most people are open to it.

Year 1 - Golden Age S-shield t-shirt and jeans
    Year 2 - Fleschier S-shield t-shirt and jeans
    Year 3 - Classic suit
    Return - Black Suit/Solar Suit
    After Death and Return - Wears the New 52 armor because Doomsday taught him that his natural gifts may not be enough to protect him so he overcompensates for a bit with the armor
    After marrying Lois - Wears the all blue Rebirth outfit for a bit
    After Jon is born - Wears the Superman Reborn suit with the belt and no trunks
    Old Man Superman - Kingdom Come/Authority suits
    Superman One Million - Golden God form
    *mullet required.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Here’s the idea I like:

- Kal-El comes to Earth swaddled in a blanket that doubles as a “heraldic cape” Lara-Van made for him, since she’s a cultural expert on Krypton compared to Jor-El as the scientist, and wanted him to have a permanent piece of his home planet even when it was gone.
    - When Kal begins to grow into his powers, he takes to wearing the cape first just because he feels the connection to his birth mother that way… but also starts wearing a T-Shirt Martha made with the same shield emblem, albeit in a different color scheme (Fleischer-Studios). He wears blue jeans with this.
    - At some point, he gets recruited for future adventures with the Legion, and gets the collared New 52 suit while there… and thanks to some time travel shenanigans, he makes some appearances on “modern” Earth in that suit sometimes.
    - He keeps the original look until his first year in Metropolis, switching to a more classic design after finding the Fortress of Solitude and having it tailored to merge the blue t-shirt look of his Earth family with the red heraldry of Kyrpton.
    - He occasionally modifies it due to his adventures as well, and even creates new heraldry for the rest of his family (including steel) as a token of his esteem for them.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I love that idea. And I do think that 'current continuity', such as it is, embraces multiple iterations of the suit (though its just Classic, New 52 armor, the L&C all-black suit and Reborn that are canon now I believe).

I like the idea of the first suit being either based off the Siegal/Shuster version or the Fleischer version (the latter is what the S&L show did). And the transition to the 'classic' suit marks the transition from the Golden Age to the Silver Age and beyond.

If the T-shirt and jeans look is to be retained, it works as a Superboy look.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Yep, it makes sense and allows for variation.