Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes. As long as it doesn't actually change.

I love this idea, and I think it's becoming more popular and common, especially as series from New 52 to Superman & Lois have embraced it... and also in real life, Superman's costume has changed at least a little bit over time, which inspires the idea.

That said, I also think artists should only draw the Superman costumes they want and are most suited to. For example, I've said before that I don't ever want to see Jim Lee draw the traditional costume, because his art always looks bored to me. But by contrast... during the New 52 era, Neal Adams insisted on drawing the trunks for "Coming of the Supermen," and honestly, good, it was the right choice... for him.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post

That said, I also think artists should only draw the Superman costumes they want and are most suited to. For example, I've said before that I don't ever want to see Jim Lee draw the traditional costume, because his art always looks bored to me. But by contrast... during the New 52 era, Neal Adams insisted on drawing the trunks for "Coming of the Supermen," and honestly, good, it was the right choice... for him.
    ^^^Thats a very good point.

I recall the costume Walt Simon designed for Warren Worthington when he first became Archangel. Not a lot of artists got that outfit right/seemed comfortable w. the design.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I love this idea, and I think it's becoming more popular and common, especially as series from New 52 to Superman & Lois have embraced it... and also in real life, Superman's costume has changed at least a little bit over time, which inspires the idea.

I feel like Jim Lee was literally the only person who could draw the New 52 suit and not make it look completely stupid (just mostly stupid).
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

So I've given this a bit more thought, and here's how I'd break down the chronology of Superman's costumes, in something resembling the 'current' continuity (whatever the hell that is!)

T-shirt & Jeans: Resembles the T-shirt and jeans look from Morrison's New 52 run. This is essentially Clark's 'Superboy' outfit, a makeshift costume he puts together when he secretly starts operating as the Superboy of Smallville while in his mid-teens. Only the cape is made from the Kryptonian blanket and is indestructible. When Clark visits the LOSH future, he occasionally puts on a replica of the classic suit, along with a flight ring (since my headcanon is that Clark only learns to fly shortly before his debut as Superman or early in his Superman career). The S symbol may either have black in it ala the Fleischer suit or the classic yellow - maybe it changes a few times (since the T-shirts keep getting ripped apart!)

Fleischer suit: This is the suit Clark wears when he starts out as Superman. Its fully indestructible since its made from Kryptonian materials, though it still has a bit of a homemade feel, since Martha Kent helped put it together. Clark wears this suit during his earliest adventures, inspired by the Golden Age Siegel/Shuster stories and the Fleischer cartoons. Its associated with him being a ''Champion of the Oppressed'' and a relatively more street-level or at most a city-level hero.

Classic suit: Clark wearing this suit marks the end of his early career and his transition to a global hero and a living legend at the peak of his powers. Its when he becomes the ''Man of Tomorrow'', in adventures inspired by the Silver Age and Bronze Age, as well as the early Modern Age. This suit is a more 'refined' version of the Fleischer suit, probably developed in the Fortress.

Black suit: Clark wears this briefly after his death at the hands of Doomsday and his resurrection, and occasionally returns to it a few times over the years as it offers added protection and helps him recharge his body with solar radiation.

New 52 Armor: Clark starts wearing this suit sometime after the marriage (though its possible he may have worn it once or twice between the Fleischer suit and the Classic suit), perhaps because he feels he needs the added protection it gives him following his resurrection.

Rebirth Suit: After returning to the Classic suit for years, Clark wears the Rebirth suit around the time Jon discovers his powers and becomes Superboy.

Reborn Suit: Clark switches to this suit briefly during Jon's early career as Superboy, before ultimately returning to the Classic suit for good.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My suit timeline:

Fleischer suit: This is his "proto" suit that he wears for his first year.

Classic suit: This is the suit he wears for most of his career.

Kingdom Come suit: He starts wearing this after about 20 years well into his career.

All Black suit from the Lois & Clark mini: This is late into his career. Pre-retirement.
    Assassinate Putin!

It's not an idea I necessarily need or anything, but I certainly wouldn't oppose it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I love this idea and that's how it is in my head canon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    My suit timeline:

Fleischer suit: This is his "proto" suit that he wears for his first year.

Classic suit: This is the suit he wears for most of his career.

Kingdom Come suit: He starts wearing this after about 20 years well into his career.

All Black suit from the Lois & Clark mini: This is late into his career. Pre-retirement.
    Isn't the Kingdom Come suit basically a variation of the Fleischer suit?

But I actually like the idea of Superman, later in his career, returning to his 'original' suit.

Totally support the idea. It's not something I *need* just like Sacred said, but I'm definitely in favor of it. It's a great way to visualize the various stages of Clark's career, which has all kinds of good uses.

But I think it should be taken a step further. Not only should Clark have a few different "prime" suits he wears over the years, he should have a few for specific purposes, and should occasionally entertain some short-term tweaks to the suit just for the hell of it. And of course, there should be suits he only wore for a brief time that he hangs onto for sentimental reasons, like the black resurrection suit or the white/blue energy suit.

I'm not suggesting changing the costume to a "theme" the way Harley has. Nothing so extreme, I'm not saying Clark should wear anything as long as it's in primary colors and has his logo on it, and call it his costume for the day. But if Clark knows he's gonna fight Metallo? Let him grab a lead-lined suit, like the DCAU. Feeling nostalgic one morning? Dig the Fleschier suit out of the back of the closet.

I actually really liked the reason Bendis put him back in the classic suit, even though I wanted the Reborn look to stick. Clark let his wife borrow his costume and had to pull an old one out for himself. How many of us have lived that exact thing when our girl steals our hoodie? It's the kind of "regular life jacked up to 11" thinking that Morrison would probably approve of.

As for a timeline, eh I don't care too much how they spin the details. Lot of that depends on how much and when Clark knows about Krypton, the origin of the "S" and suit, and when he gets access to Fortress resources. I'd really, really like the t-shirt and jeans to still be Clark's "origin story" costume. I'd prefer (but do not require) the Kingdom Come suit, or something close to it, to be what Old Man Kent wears. The Fleschier suit should be in the timeline somewhere just because. Beyond that I'm not too partial.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Totally support the idea. It's not something I *need* just like Sacred said, but I'm definitely in favor of it. It's a great way to visualize the various stages of Clark's career, which has all kinds of good uses.

But I think it should be taken a step further. Not only should Clark have a few different "prime" suits he wears over the years, he should have a few for specific purposes, and should occasionally entertain some short-term tweaks to the suit just for the hell of it. And of course, there should be suits he only wore for a brief time that he hangs onto for sentimental reasons, like the black resurrection suit or the white/blue energy suit.

I'm not suggesting changing the costume to a "theme" the way Harley has. Nothing so extreme, I'm not saying Clark should wear anything as long as it's in primary colors and has his logo on it, and call it his costume for the day. But if Clark knows he's gonna fight Metallo? Let him grab a lead-lined suit, like the DCAU. Feeling nostalgic one morning? Dig the Fleschier suit out of the back of the closet.

I actually really liked the reason Bendis put him back in the classic suit, even though I wanted the Reborn look to stick. Clark let his wife borrow his costume and had to pull an old one out for himself. How many of us have lived that exact thing when our girl steals our hoodie? It's the kind of "regular life jacked up to 11" thinking that Morrison would probably approve of.

As for a timeline, eh I don't care too much how they spin the details. Lot of that depends on how much and when Clark knows about Krypton, the origin of the "S" and suit, and when he gets access to Fortress resources. I'd really, really like the t-shirt and jeans to still be Clark's "origin story" costume. I'd prefer (but do not require) the Kingdom Come suit, or something close to it, to be what Old Man Kent wears. The Fleschier suit should be in the timeline somewhere just because. Beyond that I'm not too partial.
    Yeah. To wit, I see the Authority suit as for tactical covert ops type missions. That was a solid look and I'd like to see more of it.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I don't see the point of it really to be honest. I guess the boots and jeans could work for because it was always meant to lead into the outfit.

Retired

Give me the classic blue suit and red tie. That look never goes out of style.

Clark tried other fashions in the past, but he always went back to this ensemble. Maybe he's a fan of the Spirit.

After the Crisis, that blue suit hung in the closet for many years. But Gary Frank had it dry cleaned and pressed and looking like new.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Give me the classic blue suit and red tie. That look never goes out of style.

Clark tried other fashions in the past, but he always went back to this ensemble. Maybe he's a fan of the Spirit.

After the Crisis, that blue suit hung in the closet for many years. But Gary Frank had it dry cleaned and pressed and looking like new.

Unintentionally this proved the point how important the hat is.That's where the fun is.The hat and the glasses go together people..
    "i solemnly swear that i am to no good"
    Winks at the camera.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-22-2023 at 04:14 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Unintentionally this proved the point how important the hat is.That's where the fun is.The hat and the glasses go together people..
    "i solemnly swear that i am to no good"
    Winks at the camera.
    …I now realize that Clark Kent as a hipster might be soemthing I want to see.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP