Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default LOKI Appreciation 2023

I didn't see a Loki thread for this year so I started this since our boy is getting a mini book this year, finally something after this long drought!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=197764717
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 01-18-2023 at 11:13 PM.

I like Watter's run on Lucifer, Arkham Order and Azrael so I'm gonna check it out.

It was a bout time he got a new series .

Fantastic Member

Thank you for creating the thread!

I saw that Loki's getting a new mini, I'm excited! I don't know the author's works that well, but I think the premise sounds interesting.

I don't think anything's popped up in Thor lately; Cates has been having some personal issues iirc.

However, Loki does show up in spoilers:
    Avengers Forever 13 -- as a few of us speculated in the previous thread, he's revealed to be Avenger Prime! Ellisiv is not thrilled, which really amused me (given she and her sisters only know the one from the bad future with King Thor). Since she's been shown to be the most scholarly of her sisters, I actually hope they can forge some sort of less contentious relationship, but I don't think there are that many issues left of Aaron's run and there's still a lot to cover.

For those who have not been keeping abreast of Aaron's Avengers -- All the Mephistos across the mulitverse banded together (the Council of Red) and formed an alliance with multiversal villains (the Universal Master of Evil). They've been taking over the multiverse and for a while Avenger Prime was a mysterious figure who was collecting Avengers in an attempt to stop them. Loki takes his role in forming the Avengers very seriously, apparently (Seriously though, he's pivotal as the mastermind behind the resistance, and also shows off some supercharged powers).

I'm not sure if now was the best time to reveal himself, but my head cannon is that he could not possibly resist the dramatic reveal. Like, he may be a master strategist/tactician, but those both take second place to *drama*.

It's an extremely heroic showing for Loki, even if one of the articles I read complained that it was out of character since he's typically a villain. I don't think he's been a true villain for the last decade, but w/e.

end of spoilers

It's interesting to me that he keeps getting miniseries. Like, does he not have the fanbase for an ongoing, but has enough that people purchase the minis? I'm not sure how that maths.

ETA: On second thought, new issues tend to attract the most readers, and people might be more willing to finish a series they're not sold on if it's only a few issues long.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

I saw the news today as well about a new mini. Yay!! I'm glad he's finally getting the spotlight again. The overall premise sounds intriguing, and while I don't know the author, I'll definitely be checking this series out. Bummed it's only 4 issues, but maybe it will lead into something more.

As for the Avengers storyline, not surprised due to the other images here and there, but cool to know! I'll have to get that issue.

I think Loki can definitely carry his own on going series. It just needs the right writer to really bring out the depth of character.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riimi View Post

I saw that Loki's getting a new mini, I'm excited! I don't know the author's works that well, but I think the premise sounds interesting.

I don't think anything's popped up in Thor lately; Cates has been having some personal issues iirc.

Avengers Forever 13 -- as a few of us speculated in the previous thread, he's revealed to be Avenger Prime! Ellisiv is not thrilled, which really amused me (given she and her sisters only know the one from the bad future with King Thor). Since she's been shown to be the most scholarly of her sisters, I actually hope they can forge some sort of less contentious relationship, but I don't think there are that many issues left of Aaron's run and there's still a lot to cover.

For those who have not been keeping abreast of Aaron's Avengers -- All the Mephistos across the mulitverse banded together (the Council of Red) and formed an alliance with multiversal villains (the Universal Master of Evil). They've been taking over the multiverse and for a while Avenger Prime was a mysterious figure who was collecting Avengers in an attempt to stop them. Loki takes his role in forming the Avengers very seriously, apparently (Seriously though, he's pivotal as the mastermind behind the resistance, and also shows off some supercharged powers).

I'm not sure if now was the best time to reveal himself, but my head cannon is that he could not possibly resist the dramatic reveal. Like, he may be a master strategist/tactician, but those both take second place to *drama*.

It's an extremely heroic showing for Loki, even if one of the articles I read complained that it was out of character since he's typically a villain. I don't think he's been a true villain for the last decade, but w/e.

end of spoilers

It's interesting to me that he keeps getting miniseries. Like, does he not have the fanbase for an ongoing, but has enough that people purchase the minis? I'm not sure how that maths.

ETA: On second thought, new issues tend to attract the most readers, and people might be more willing to finish a series they're not sold on if it's only a few issues long.
    spoilers:
    Oh wow! It was kind of obvious but at the same time, I was afraid of this not being the case, like having the rug pulled from underneath because this is Loki after all. I don't think everyone is at all too thrilled with a less villainish/more heroic Loki and the writing tends to be very ambiguous leaning just a tad more on the negative, so those who only see evil Loki will see just that. So this tickles me when the writing is overt that he is in fact heroic in this particular instance because yes, he's very much capable of it but in his own Loki way Now I'm gonna have to buy this book and enjoy this development for myself.
    end of spoilers

As for the book, I hope it's a doorway to getting an on going we've been deprived since his last was unceremoniously cut short for Thor.

Happy to be receiving Watters's new mini! I've got lots of love for Ewing's Agent of Asgard; hope it veers somewhere in that direction.

Someone on twitter mentioned how between Gillen, Ewing and now Watters, Loki's the designated "Entry book for an immence talent from the UK."

As for the dearth of Loki material lately--surely that has to do with him being prominently in Cates's book? Meanwhile Young Avengers\Agent of Asgard happened during the Gorr saga\Jane Thor identity mystery, when Loki was largely mia

Amazing Member

I don't know the write but I'm reading his lucifer comic at the moment and I like it so far. He seems to write cool ass tricksters.

I just hope he's not gonna ignore defenders beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Happy to be receiving Watters's new mini! I've got lots of love for Ewing's Agent of Asgard; hope it veers somewhere in that direction.

Someone on twitter mentioned how between Gillen, Ewing and now Watters, Loki's the designated "Entry book for an immence talent from the UK."

As for the dearth of Loki material lately--surely that has to do with him being prominently in Cates's book? Meanwhile Young Avengers\Agent of Asgard happened during the Gorr saga\Jane Thor identity mystery, when Loki was largely mia
    That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Riimi View Post

end of spoilers

I'm curious what his home universe was like. He should look like a younger Richard Grant.

Nice reveal at the end of Avengers Forever 13. I like the outfit as it definitely has the future style to it, but also connects with his past. I haven't read all the issues of this storyline, so I'm not sure what is on his forehead or if that will be revealed in the upcoming Avengers 65 issue.

Amazing Member

It will be revealed in avengers #65

I wonder if Thor's granddaughters knows their future is no longer the future of the 616 universe and that it's now it's own future universe instead.
    Last edited by Emoandlazy; 01-20-2023 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emoandlazy View Post
    It will be revealed in avengers #65

I wonder if Thor's granddaughters knows their future is no longer the future of the 616 universe and that it's now it's own future universe instead.
    That's a great question regarding the Goddesses. Also, since they were there for the last battle between Loki and Thor, will they understand this isn't the same Loki, or will they feel he faked his death or something. I'm definitely curious to seek what Aaron does with their story in the next several issues.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Loki variant cover by Alex Ross for April's Thor #33

Just thought I'd put the preview image to the new Loki series in June here.

LOKI #1 (OF 4)
    Written by DAN WATTERS
    Art by GERMÁN PERALTA
    Teaser Cover by ROD REIS
    On Sale 6/7

Loki 2023