Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I don’t think All-Star Superman would be that good a movie, so I hope that isn’t Gunn’s plan, but I doubt it is.
    I think Grant Morrison himself might agree as he's one of those "there are some things comics can do that other mediums cannot" type.

I do think All Star Superman is something all Superman writers should read, even film directors, but not to simply adapt it or retread it. I just think it represents a valuable modern vision of a version or generation of past Superman comics. Where a lot of modern Superman comics/media have gone in one direction, All Star Superman boldly subversively goes in another.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-20-2023 at 06:47 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I think Grant Morrison himself might agree as he's one of those "there are some things comics can do that other mediums cannot" type.

I do think All Star Superman is something all Superman writers should read, even film directors, but not to simply adapt it or retread it. I just think it represents a valuable modern vision of a version or generation of past Superman comics. Where a lot of modern Superman comics/media have gone in one direction, All Star Superman bold subversively goes in another.
    It was such a fantastic series. The cartoon is why I think it couldn’t be adapted properly for the big screen. Even what was in the cartoon was so compressed compared to the series. Every issue could be a movie unto itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Cavill would've been the perfect Supes for that story IMHO.
    I was thinking the same thing. It would be great for a Logan style final Superman story.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

::Gunn as he flips through the book::

Gunn: What would be the best spot to insert some DAD ROCK if I adapt this?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    No. It's just a story he enjoys re-reading. Folks really need to stop trying to assume everything means something.
    James Gunn specifically Tweeted out yesterday that his Superman is being inspired by All-Star Superman.

The Tweet is here.

A “news” article about it is here.

I am a little concerned he’s taking inspiration from Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing, too. I have nothing against Moore’s Swamp Thing. It’s a classic. But Moore so far has never translated well to the big screen. His work is too based in the comics medium to escape it. Although, Gunn said he’s just being inspired. He’s not saying Swamp Thing or anything he’s working on is an adaptation.

He mentions being inspired by Morrison’s Batman run, too.

If I’m Morrison’s agent, I’m on the phone yesterday pitching scripts or writing help of any kind I could to Gunn and Safran, or anybody with some authority at DC Studios.

It’s interesting that Gunn is being inspired by Morrison so much.
    Last edited by Brian B; 02-03-2023 at 01:08 AM.