Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default James Gunn tweets pic of All-Star Superman book

DC Studios Co-chief James Gunn tweeted a photo yesterday, apparently of a book he was reading — All-Star Superman, by Morrison and Quietly!

I take this as a positive sign, if it’s serving as inspiration in any way for him writing a Superman treatment, and it has to be, right?

This link goes to Gunn’s tweet about this.

No. It's just a story he enjoys re-reading. Folks really need to stop trying to assume everything means something.

I'm hoping he also draws from Action Comics and Superman and the Authority too.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    No. It's just a story he enjoys re-reading. Folks really need to stop trying to assume everything means something.
    We know he’s writing a treatment for Superman. If he’s reading All-Star Supes, it has to at least inspire Gunn. That doesn’t mean it’s an adaptation — just some inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    We know he’s writing a treatment for Superman. If he’s reading All-Star Supes, it has to at least inspire Gunn. That doesn’t mean it’s an adaptation — just some inspiration.
    Yes and that's an assumption based 9
    on a coincidence (it's not like this is his first time reading the story.) Just as people were jumping to conclusions about his Kingdom Come pic. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, is my point.

Are we going to do the Snyder thing, where everything he posts shows what he's going to do next?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Invincible Member

Didn't he also post a pic of Alex Ross's Mr Terrific?

Cavill would've been the perfect Supes for that story IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    No he wouldn't have been. People need to accept that Cavill can't draw ants to a picnic.

Extraordinary Member

Actually, adjusted for inflation. Cavill's Superman entries aren't too far behind Superman 2. I don't think supes is gonna get more popular than he was in the 80s.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 01-19-2023 at 06:59 AM.

Yes and that's an assumption based 9
    on a coincidence (it's not like this is his first time reading the story.) Just as people were jumping to conclusions about his Kingdom Come pic. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, is my point.
    Coincidence? No, he’s reading All-Star Superman.

Writers and artists don’t turn off the influence and inspiration they get from reading or looking at things. A writer is not able to say, “I will not be inspired or influenced by this book I just read.” The human brain and reality don’t work like that.

If a writer or artist consciously decides not to be influenced or inspired by a prior work of art they read or looked at, then they are in fact being influenced and inspired by dint of deciding to go in a different direction.

If the writer or artist just reads it and later doesn’t even think about the previous art, they are still being influenced and inspired by that previous art subconsciously or unconsciously.

There’s no shutting off inspiration and influence in a creative. This goes for all creative work and fields, not just comic books or movies.

Like I said, I don’t think what Gunn does with Superman will be an adaptation of All-Star Superman, but it’s inspiration, clearly, whether you think it is or not.

The same goes for what Gunn had read in Kingdom Come, or any book he’s ever read.

Reading All-Star Superman during the same year his Superman treatment is due to the studio he will be running will no doubt inspire and influence James Gunn.

And as I said, he's already read it so any inspiration he drew from it has already happened. This photo means nothing. Especially when he's already said he's looking at doing a young Superman and ASS is about a Superman who's at the end. But believe what you will, I guess?

And as I said, he's already read it so any inspiration he drew from it has already happened. This photo means nothing. Especially when he's already said he's looking at doing a young Superman and ASS is about a Superman who's at the end. But believe what you will, I guess?
    Believe what I will? He read it. He’s reading it again. Reading or looking at it again will refresh his memory of it, if his memory of it wasn’t clear to him consciously. You’re basically denying that art inspires, which is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Believe what I will? He read it. He’s reading it again. Reading or looking at it again will refresh his memory of it, if his memory of it wasn’t clear to him consciously. You’re basically denying that art inspires, which is silly.
    That's not at all what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Cavill would be the perfect Bizarro for All-Star Superman, too, LOL!

That said and to be clear, I do NOT think Gunn will make his Superman an adaptation of All-Star Superman. I don’t think All-Star Superman would be that good a movie, so I hope that isn’t Gunn’s plan, but I doubt it is.

My fondest hopes are Gunn brings in some kind of Legion connection, since he said he was concentrating on a young Superman. I don’t think that’s likely to happen, either, but I can hope even if it’s totally unrealistic.