Default The X-Men running order

I've started collecting the X-Men omnibus editions and have run into a problem. Volume one has 1-31 and volume two has 32-66 but what comes next? I also know that Giant size X-Men has 94-131, so where have the missing issues gone? Thank you for any replies. One more thing was X-Men Classics not all reprints from the earlier run as they are listed as 1-44, my head hurts.
    Hail Hydra!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    I've started collecting the X-Men omnibus editions and have run into a problem. Volume one has 1-31 and volume two has 32-66 but what comes next? I also know that Giant size X-Men has 94-131, so where have the missing issues gone? Thank you for any replies. One more thing was X-Men Classics not all reprints from the earlier run as they are listed as 1-44, my head hurts.
    The missing issues are because they were all reprints of earlier X-men issues. The X-men comics had pretty much been cancelled (sales had improved with the Adams run, but by the time this was known it had already been decided that they wouldnt be making any new stories), and this is why John Byrne tried to fill the gap with the Hidden Years which will be collected as an Omnibus. There are also enough appearances during those cancelled years to justify another Omnibus, which are collected in the Marvel Masterworks X-men vols 7 and 8 (also the 4th X-men Epic Collection)
    Last edited by madave; 01-18-2023 at 03:29 PM.

That's great and explains a lot, thanks.
    Hail Hydra!

Incredible Member

Just building off of what madave said: X-Men #1-66 were original stories, which are collected in two “The X-Men” omnis. Issues 67-93 (from approximately 1970-1975) were reprints of earlier stories. The X-Men continued to make guest appearances in other Marvel titles during this time — some of those guest appearances have been collected in omnis, some not, but many of us hope there will eventually be an “X-Men: The Lost Years” [or some similar title] omnibus collecting all of those guest appearances. (Nearly all of the guest appearances are collected in the Marvel Masterworks “The X-Men” volumes 7 and 8… if memory serves, it’s only missing a 2-page cameo Cyclops and Professor X made in Morbius’s solo feature in Adventures into Fear.)

Then there was a ‘90s ongoing series called “X-Men: The Hidden Years” by John Byrne that attempted to tell stories of what the team was doing during the “reprint years” — that’s getting an omnibus later this year.

As for X-Men Classic, that’s something different. That title reprinted X-Men issues starting with Giant-Size X-Men #1 (the debut of the All-New, All-Different team in 1975), but with new pages and new stories added — sometimes to make subplots fit better with later stories, oftentimes to just flesh out characters more. The X-Men Classic omnibus doesn’t collect the original issues (which can be found in the Uncanny X-Men omnis, volumes 1 and 2), but it collects all of the extra material that was added in the X-Men Classic reprints. It’s heavy on solo character exploration stories, some of them quite good; but it’s definitely a companion to UXM omnibus volumes 1 and 2, not a replacement for them.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Just building off of what madave said: X-Men #1-66 were original stories, which are collected in two “The X-Men” omnis. Issues 67-93 (from approximately 1970-1975) were reprints of earlier stories. The X-Men continued to make guest appearances in other Marvel titles during this time — some of those guest appearances have been collected in omnis, some not, but many of us hope there will eventually be an “X-Men: The Lost Years” [or some similar title] omnibus collecting all of those guest appearances. (Nearly all of the guest appearances are collected in the Marvel Masterworks “The X-Men” volumes 7 and 8… if memory serves, it’s only missing a 2-page cameo Cyclops and Professor X made in Morbius’s solo feature in Adventures into Fear.)

Then there was a ‘90s ongoing series called “X-Men: The Hidden Years” by John Byrne that attempted to tell stories of what the team was doing during the “reprint years” — that’s getting an omnibus later this year.

As for X-Men Classic, that’s something different. That title reprinted X-Men issues starting with Giant-Size X-Men #1 (the debut of the All-New, All-Different team in 1975), but with new pages and new stories added — sometimes to make subplots fit better with later stories, oftentimes to just flesh out characters more. The X-Men Classic omnibus doesn’t collect the original issues (which can be found in the Uncanny X-Men omnis, volumes 1 and 2), but it collects all of the extra material that was added in the X-Men Classic reprints. It’s heavy on solo character exploration stories, some of them quite good; but it’s definitely a companion to UXM omnibus volumes 1 and 2, not a replacement for them.

Hope that helps!
    Now my head really hurts I think I'll stick with just the first two volumes and then the Giant size 1, thank you for your help.
    Hail Hydra!

The lost years are in one volume of the massive and massively expensive X-Men Children of the Atom box set. Marvel has them mapped out already, so they better release it on its own... eventually. And add in the Morbius cameo, too.
    X-Men: The Lost Years Premiere Hardcover
    Pages: 400
    Collecting: Amazing Spider-Man #92, Incredible Hulk #150, Incredible Hulk #161, Incredible Hulk #172, Incredible Hulk #180-181, Amazing Adventures #11-17, Marvel Team-Up #4, Marvel Team-Up #23, Avengers #110-111, Captain America #172-175, Defenders #15-16, Giant-Size Fantastic Four #4
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member

As for Classic X-Men, it was both reprint and new material. It had a backup feature with a new story but the reprints also have some added pages that are new, not in the original print. The title eventually changed to X-Men Classics and those are all reprints, no new material.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    As for Classic X-Men, it was both reprint and new material. It had a backup feature with a new story but the reprints also have some added pages that are new, not in the original print. The title eventually changed to X-Men Classics and those are all reprints, no new material.
    I never knew it was so complicated, however I'm grateful for all your replies.
    Hail Hydra!