Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    okay, thanks to wonder of modern digital media, I am caught up on Doc Oc shenanigans. And... I'm really not sure why he needed to go back to being "classic" Doc Oc. None of the storylines he's been in have really used him in that capacity. They've all instead dealt with his loss of memory of his time as Spider-Man and him trying to regain that knowledge or dealing with some fallout from his web-slinging tenure, skirting the line between good and evil (but kinda leaning on evil) and it honestly seems inevitable that a writer is going to come along and restore his memory at some point.
    Yeah. This may be for the best, though.

The generic supervillain stories could be done in untold tales. A Dr. Octopus transformed by his experiences fits part of what makes Spider-Man special. He'll try to save the bad guys too. And sometimes it works.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

The revival of Superior Spider-Man is here. Should had happened at the start of the year, which was the start of the series.

Astonishing Member

Incredible Member

As I've said in interviews, Superior has been a really hard book to promote.

The creative team on this title has worked very hard to end each issue with either a big status quo change, twist, or cliffhanger.
    And in order to protect those, it's always hard to talk about what's coming up next without spoiling future developments.

Quick example: If you haven't seen the cover to SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #7-- if it were up to me-- I'd rather you didn't, because that cover and solicitation does give an upcoming thing away.

But the flipside to that would be not having some of the cool stuff on the inside of the book being reflected on the outside.
    I even feel like the cover to SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #4 gave away too much.

Imagine if for AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #122, The Night Gwen Stacy Died, if that cover appeared in a catalog that every fan could read three months ahead of its release. That would suck, right?

Is what we're doing here on par with that classic by Gerry Conway, Gil Kane, and John Romita Sr.?
    Dear God, no. :-P Of course it isn't. But you get the point I'm trying to make, right?

I think a lot of the success of the original Superior run did hinge on us freaking everybody out with the twist at the end of ASM #698, and then everyone coming along for the ride after that. If we'd blown the twist there ahead of time, reading that story wouldn't have had nearly the same impact.

Me not talking about Superior is because I care about the story that Mark, John, Edgar, Joe, MR, Ellie, and I are telling.
    I want you to get the most out of each issue and experience everything fresh on your first read through.

I can say that Mark's pages have been stunning with each and every new issue! I'm very proud of SSM #5 (out on March 27th). SSM #6 is one of my faves -- fans of Anna Maria Marconi... you NEED these next two issues. I can't wait to see what Mark makes of the plot for SSM #7 (there are some... things that happen there that are very... unnerving). And I'm already starting to break down the issue after that... But I feel like even though I'm being vague about things, I'm beginning to say too much. Again, this is a damn hard book to promote.

That said... Here's PART of an unlettered panel for SSM #5. Happy? ;-)
    Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 7.52.29 PM.jpg

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    As I've said in interviews, Superior has been a really hard book to promote.

The creative team on this title has worked very hard to end each issue with either a big status quo change, twist, or cliffhanger.
    And in order to protect those, it's always hard to talk about what's coming up next without spoiling future developments.

Quick example: If you haven't seen the cover to SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #7-- if it were up to me-- I'd rather you didn't, because that cover and solicitation does give an upcoming thing away.

But the flipside to that would be not having some of the cool stuff on the inside of the book being reflected on the outside.
    I even feel like the cover to SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #4 gave away too much.

Imagine if for AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #122, The Night Gwen Stacy Died, if that cover appeared in a catalog that every fan could read three months ahead of its release. That would suck, right?

Is what we're doing here on par with that classic by Gerry Conway, Gil Kane, and John Romita Sr.?
    Dear God, no. :-P Of course it isn't. But you get the point I'm trying to make, right?

I think a lot of the success of the original Superior run did hinge on us freaking everybody out with the twist at the end of ASM #698, and then everyone coming along for the ride after that. If we'd blown the twist there ahead of time, reading that story wouldn't have had nearly the same impact.

Me not talking about Superior is because I care about the story that Mark, John, Edgar, Joe, MR, Ellie, and I are telling.
    I want you to get the most out of each issue and experience everything fresh on your first read through.

I can say that Mark's pages have been stunning with each and every new issue! I'm very proud of SSM #5 (out on March 27th). SSM #6 is one of my faves -- fans of Anna Maria Marconi... you NEED these next two issues. I can't wait to see what Mark makes of the plot for SSM #7 (there are some... things that happen there that are very... unnerving). And I'm already starting to break down the issue after that... But I feel like even though I'm being vague about things, I'm beginning to say too much. Again, this is a damn hard book to promote.

That said... Here's PART of an unlettered panel for SSM #5. Happy? ;-)
    Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 7.52.29 PM.jpg
    Keep Supernova around, Dan... Estrella being Ocks screw-up fostered on Peter brings me glee.

Fantastic Member

Dan, I’m a big fan of Legacy Numbers - Do creators care about them or not?
    I ask because it would be #50 of your creation soon - had the numbers not been removed ��.
    "Face Front... Nuff Said?"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    Dan, I’m a big fan of Legacy Numbers - Do creators care about them or not?
    I ask because it would be #50 of your creation soon - had the numbers not been removed ��.
    Creators, like fans, have wildly different takes.

Personally? I'm an old fogey who much prefers Legacy Numbers.

Changing the numbering from SPIDER-MAN #11 to SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1 was a fight that I lost.

Side note: Superior Spider-Man isn't my creation alone. Writers don't work in a vacuum, unless you're a writer/artist like Alan Davis, every character or story is one you co-create as a team. And I was lucky enough to work with three very talented pencilers-- Humberto, Ryan, and Giuseppe. Also, Ed McGuinness helped out by coming up with the original MK1 design for Superior's costume. And Humberto-- taking some inspiration from Alex Ross-- came up with the MK2 design.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Creators, like fans, have wildly different takes.

Personally? I'm an old fogey who much prefers Legacy Numbers.

Changing the numbering from SPIDER-MAN #11 to SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1 was a fight that I lost.

Side note: Superior Spider-Man isn't my creation alone. Writers don't work in a vacuum, unless you're a writer/artist like Alan Davis, every character or story is one you co-create as a team. And I was lucky enough to work with three very talented pencilers-- Humberto, Ryan, and Giuseppe. Also, Ed McGuinness helped out by coming up with the original MK1 design for Superior's costume. And Humberto-- taking some inspiration from Alex Ross-- came up with the MK2 design.
    Looking at the MK2 design now... I can certainly see that.
    It does have that Earth x Spider-Girl feel to it, even if it is a very different costume.

Also, Superior was great, and was glad to have met you at a con in 2013/14 when you were talking about your ideas for Superior and for what would eventually become Spider-Verse. Was an interesting time for sure and there was a lot of good Spider-Man stuff going on at the time.

Incredible Member

Today, Hasbro announced an all-new SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN figure will be coming out in the Marvel Legends line!

GLN8HfsbUAAeB5r.jpg
    GLN8HfrakAAthhF.jpg
    GLNzK7CXMAAlFP4.jpg

Finally getting one with optional finger claws, mechanical arms, and the correct back plate! NICE!
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 04-15-2024 at 03:49 PM.

Mighty Member

The figure looks amazing!

SSM_1.jpg

SSM2.jpg

SSM3.jpg

I keep waiting for them to announce Bailey. He'd be a lot of fun and I bet his colors would really pop on a figure
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 04-15-2024 at 10:33 AM.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    The figure looks amazing!

SSM_1.jpg

SSM2.jpg

SSM3.jpg

I keep waiting for them to announce Bailey. He'd be a lot of fun and I bet his colors would really pop on a figure
    Spider-Boy is coming. No way he does not get a figure in the next year or so.