Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Superior Spider-Man's 10th Anniversary

Ten years ago, Spock made his debut in the pages of ASM 700 when Peter Parker died and Otto was reborn as Spider-Man. What are you memories of the series when it came out? For me, I was shocked to the point where I no longer read the series.

Made me decide to read comics to find out more
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

I can’t believe it’s already been 10 years. At the time I was thinking “holy crap, Spidey is half a century old!”

Now he’s celebrating 60 years. I started reading the same year he had his 30th anniversary! And back then, 30 years seemed like an eternity.

As for the story itself, I like it. Im not a fan of Slott outside of Superior, but this was a unique concept at the time (now it’s been copied to death) and at least the first half was well-executed. Plus, you knew it wasn’t going to last forever, so might as well enjoy the ride.

BANNED

One of the worst stories ever put to paper, but unfathomably popular and considered Slott's peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Made me decide to read comics to find out more
    If I hadn't been reading before, I would gnaw off my feet to know what was happening. The Pre-release...let's call it anticipation, cause the seethe was real, was something I hadn't seen before. Even the Hydra-Cap mania only happened when people read the issue. Even now I don't see people burning floppies the way they did #700.

Anyway, the story slapped. Hasn't been anything quite like it since. The Venom arc was mid and Goblin Nation dragged, tho, but ultimately, and all-timer. A standout among the replacement stories that were all the rage 10 years ago. Nothing quite like it ever since.

BANNED

I found the project as pretty interesting but I did had issues.
    Dr Ock trying to be a new kind of Spider-Man is indeed a interesting idea but I prefered having Peter around, not dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    If I hadn't been reading before, I would gnaw off my feet to know what was happening. The Pre-release...let's call it anticipation, cause the seethe was real, was something I hadn't seen before. Even the Hydra-Cap mania only happened when people read the issue. Even now I don't see people burning floppies the way they did #700.

Anyway, the story slapped. Hasn't been anything quite like it since. The Venom arc was mid and Goblin Nation dragged, tho, but ultimately, and all-timer. A standout among the replacement stories that were all the rage 10 years ago. Nothing quite like it ever since.
    yeah I think i decided to join during the venom arc cause i was intrigue then superior was over cause of the new asm movie and stuck around since

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post

You said it best.

Mighty Member

The lead up to Superior got me back into reading Spider-man after a long hiatus. It was an incredibly fun story, and caused me to go back and get the rest of Big Time, as well. While I have less fondness for the back end of Slott's run, Big Time thru Spider-verse (excepting Alpha) was a rollicking good time and Superior was the apex. Like others, the Venom arc was not my favorite, and the pacing of Goblin Nation was a little off, but I'm very much looking forward to picking up the omnibus in a few months and re-reading the whole arc over again.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I really love Superior! It was the first set of more modern Comics I read (Even though it was 7 years old at the time) I read every issue and I loved it! Doc Ock having to try and hide what he did from The Avengers, from Mary Jane. it was just a great read
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Fantastic Member

The bit in issue #2 where Doc Ock is clearly implied to masturbate to Peter’s memories of sleeping with Mary Jane is fully one of the worst scenes in any comic book. Mystifies me to this day how that scene is given a pass.
    Otherwise, it’s an action figure commercial retread of a premise done far more competently (and without all of the weird dubiously consensual at best sex stuff) in “Kraven’s Last Hunt”
    Also, I think it delivers on its thesis statement of “Peter is obviously the actual Superior Spider-Man” very poorly considering how he lets a depowered Norman slip through his fingers because he got a spider sense headache and is right back to tripping over his own feet in the relaunch afterwards.

I consider Big Time through Superior Spider-Man to be one of the all-time great runs, especially because of the character work done with Doc Ock. As I've mentioned before, Ock hadn't had a story that treated him like a Top 3 Spidey villain since before I started reading comics, so it was great to see him getting the spotlight -- and both status quos -- dying Ock and Superior -- were incredibly interesting to me.

It's a shame that Slott clearly had to rush the ending; my belief is that he intended to spend more time with Ock as Spidey, which would've made the Black Cat Queenpin status quo infinitely more compelling, for example.

People love to hate on Slott, and sure, he's had some lesser stories; I also get if the cartoony vibe isn't someone's thing; but in general I find that there's a multitude of things to appreciate about Superior and Slott's work in general.

-Pav, who thinks appreciation and critique should go hand in hand...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    The bit in issue #2 where Doc Ock is clearly implied to masturbate to Peter’s memories of sleeping with Mary Jane is fully one of the worst scenes in any comic book. Mystifies me to this day how that scene is given a pass.
    Otherwise, it’s an action figure commercial retread of a premise done far more competently (and without all of the weird dubiously consensual at best sex stuff) in “Kraven’s Last Hunt”
    Also, I think it delivers on its thesis statement of “Peter is obviously the actual Superior Spider-Man” very poorly considering how he lets a depowered Norman slip through his fingers because he got a spider sense headache and is right back to tripping over his own feet in the relaunch afterwards.
    well it could be much worse he could have slept with her which if most people had control over Peter body that be among one of the first things they do

Big fan. It was my first experience in a long time reading something new and thinking that it's one of my top ten favorite Spider-Man stories.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    well it could be much worse he could have slept with her which if most people had control over Peter body that be among one of the first things they do
    I mean he tried to.