Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I think that’s what the point of the comic is supposed to be. But, for me, it barely gives lip service to that idea. I think the execution of it is massively lacking because Slott’s Peter is an incompetent super hero
    It’s because Slott told us that was the point, but he never showed the reader. If anything, what he showed the reader was Otto was objectively better at many things, with Peter voicing awe at different points. Peter didn’t earn his return - Otto just all of a sudden threw up his hands and gave it back to him because, reasons. And then as you point out, Slott made Peter an incompetent sophomoric manchild.

It’s an incredibly sloppy story that lacks structure, resonance, consistent world building and characterization.

I will give Slott props for an intriguing idea. And I think a lot of the reason why people liked Superior is because Peter, ever since OMD, has been frozen into a rubber action figure encased in amber that can never learn, never grow, never have an adult relationship, etc.

At least with Ock, the sky was the limit and the story could go anywhere, do anything. It was truly unpredictable in concept, and that was exciting to readers.

But that’s the concept and the promise of the concept, not the execution which was ham-fisted.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-21-2023 at 12:47 PM.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed when it was revealed Otto was the Superior Spider-man. But the premise was intriguing, and Otto seemed genuine in wanting to be a hero even if it was just to prove he was better than Peter Parker. Overall, it was like riding a roller coaster; it for me, was one of those rare comics I couldn't wait for the next issue to come out.
    That said, I enjoyed Yost and later Gage's take on Superior over Slott's. Their stories were more character driven, and gave us a look into Otto's mind that was more insightful than Slott's ham-fisted approach. Along with Yost's Scarlet Spider series, this was a great time for me.

Enjoyed Yost's SSM as well, and some issues were probably better than I originally felt.

Execution left a lot to be desired (characterization of Peter, the implications of Otto/Anna Maria, the plot necessitating everyone to be oblivious or unable to realize the truth of SpOck's identity, Otto essentially killing himself and that being... heroic I guess?).

It was the most interesting Spider-Man story in quite a while. And while it was Slott's idea, the character REALLY flourished when written by other writers. Volume 2 was absolutely amazing and I contend to this day that Marvel did him a grave disservice just so they could return to "Doc Ock vs Spider-Man" for the millionth time.

I was so mad when the rumors about Peter being killed off started circulating that I considered quitting. Slott and editor Steve Wacker were adamant that this would be forever and really worked up the fanbase, too. After taking some time to think logically about the situation, I realized there was no way Marvel would permanently kill their most popular character by far. That changed my whole outlook going into the story, and I was surprised how much I liked it. Some people never got over their initial reaction and hate it to this day. Some others interpreted the story as portraying Ock to be superior to Pete, but I always thought it showed that he actually fell short despite all of the efficient changes he made, and that only Peter could clean up his mess. The change in my attitude before reading ASM 698 twist ending allowed me to actually enjoy the entire run instead of worrying about whether or not Pete would ever come back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt Guy View Post
    Some people never got over their initial reaction and hate it to this day. .
    Some people were never convinced Peter would stay gone forever and simply hated the story for different reasons
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 01-25-2023 at 02:43 AM.

Oh wow, already been ten years. Wild. One of my favorite storylines, and it's a damn shame they had Otto revert back and memory wipe just to get back to the boring old status quo...

Ten years... though I think I read my first issue of the series 5 years ago or so. Since then, I've bought collected editions of the run every once in a while and I'm still missing the Black Cat arc. Still, one of the best Spider-Man eras. Superhero fun with some great twists and dynamic art.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

man, I just popped over to see what Otto was up to in Devil's Reign... lord they really did just undo all his character development huh.

I’m getting so old! Dying Wish was awesome. The main book didn’t click for me until around #9. Then it all just fell together and I went back and reread it. It’s so good. The lead up before Dying Wish was so exciting. Hey, there’s a new Spider-Man. Who is it? Let’s pretend it’s Miguel and delete that tweet. Swerve and misdirection. I don’t know if it leaked but I did avoid spoilers before it came out. Just stunning work on that front.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    It’s because Slott told us that was the point, but he never showed the reader. If anything, what he showed the reader was Otto was objectively better at many things, with Peter voicing awe at different points. Peter didn’t earn his return - Otto just all of a sudden threw up his hands and gave it back to him because, reasons. And then as you point out, Slott made Peter an incompetent sophomoric manchild.

It’s an incredibly sloppy story that lacks structure, resonance, consistent world building and characterization.

I will give Slott props for an intriguing idea. And I think a lot of the reason why people liked Superior is because Peter, ever since OMD, has been frozen into a rubber action figure encased in amber that can never learn, never grow, never have an adult relationship, etc.

At least with Ock, the sky was the limit and the story could go anywhere, do anything. It was truly unpredictable in concept, and that was exciting to readers.

But that’s the concept and the promise of the concept, not the execution which was ham-fisted.
    Even conceptually, I found the entire idea of a villain stealing Peter's body with his consciousness floating around to be too cartoony... even for Spider-man. KLH takes a far more grounded approach to the "villain replaces hero" concept. The pacing is tighter and the characters are given more depth.

The only character that remotely 'works' in Superior is Ock himself. But even still his character arc is muddied, which I agree was a problem in execution.

Ock attempting to cheat death and thus proving himself to be a superior "God among men" could be an interesting set-up and is something that the classic narcissist megalomaniac Ock would 100% do. If you were to juxtapose that story against Ock's outcast origins, then you can frame it as Ock coming to the realization that all his attempts at proving his genius and superiority have actually turned him into the inferior-man... because he has wasted his life trying to fill a void of insecurity that's existed since adolescence and consequently has built no meaningful relationships and has accomplished nothing of substance. The life he's trying to prolong is a life without meaning. All in stark contrast to Peter Parker who had grown past those same insecurities decades ago, has found love, and has saved so many lives.

You could even connect those themes back to the image of the Vitruvian Man: the ideally proportioned human, which was the inspiration for Ock's tentacles in the first place. For all of Ock's attempts at calculating and codifying what it means to be the "ideal" human, he completely lost touch with humanity. He has become just as much a piece of machinery as the tentacles attached to him.

But that's not quite the direction that Superior went in. Superior seemed to suggest that Ock did and could accomplish many great things as Spider-man personally and professionally (despite not doing so as himself) and was even capable of finding love. And so that final "aha" moment that brought Peter back didn't make much sense to me logically.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 01-26-2023 at 09:45 PM.

It is dumb as hell in how hard it needs everyone around Spock to be idiots in order to work, but man it’s an entertaining read. It and Go Down Swinging are Slott’s best arcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    The bit in issue #2 where Doc Ock is clearly implied to masturbate to Peter’s memories of sleeping with Mary Jane is fully one of the worst scenes in any comic book. Mystifies me to this day how that scene is given a pass.
    Otherwise, it’s an action figure commercial retread of a premise done far more competently (and without all of the weird dubiously consensual at best sex stuff) in “Kraven’s Last Hunt”
    Also, I think it delivers on its thesis statement of “Peter is obviously the actual Superior Spider-Man” very poorly considering how he lets a depowered Norman slip through his fingers because he got a spider sense headache and is right back to tripping over his own feet in the relaunch afterwards.
    God yes, Slott completely botched the ending. Peter makes his triumphant return and… fails to capture the bad guy? Hell just have some undercover Goblin Nation guys break Norman out of prison afterwards, but to have Peter just fecklessly let Norman go after Norman teleports away between panels makes him look like an incompetent idiot. And then MJ dumped him “for good” just to rub the salt in.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

okay, thanks to wonder of modern digital media, I am caught up on Doc Oc shenanigans. And... I'm really not sure why he needed to go back to being "classic" Doc Oc. None of the storylines he's been in have really used him in that capacity. They've all instead dealt with his loss of memory of his time as Spider-Man and him trying to regain that knowledge or dealing with some fallout from his web-slinging tenure, skirting the line between good and evil (but kinda leaning on evil) and it honestly seems inevitable that a writer is going to come along and restore his memory at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    okay, thanks to wonder of modern digital media, I am caught up on Doc Oc shenanigans. And... I'm really not sure why he needed to go back to being "classic" Doc Oc. None of the storylines he's been in have really used him in that capacity. They've all instead dealt with his loss of memory of his time as Spider-Man and him trying to regain that knowledge or dealing with some fallout from his web-slinging tenure, skirting the line between good and evil (but kinda leaning on evil) and it honestly seems inevitable that a writer is going to come along and restore his memory at some point.
    I'm with you there, Mr. Thing. Think it's due to Superior vol. 2 not selling too great and fizzling out in 12 issues.

But with how huge the OG superior storyline ended up being, it can't not influence Otto. Imho it's near in a thesis-antithesis-synthesis way. (classic Ock-Superior-Ock post superior). A kinder, gentler Ock (but to a point)

Whether we wears the duds again or not, whether he has him memory cleared or not, the powers and responsibility spiel will ring in his noggin forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Enjoyed Yost's SSM as well, and some issues were probably better than I originally felt.

Execution left a lot to be desired (characterization of Peter, the implications of Otto/Anna Maria, the plot necessitating everyone to be oblivious or unable to realize the truth of SpOck's identity, Otto essentially killing himself and that being... heroic I guess?).
    I liked the Anna plot. In some ways it just made sense for Otto to want someone to keep him company.

"but it's Pete's DNA"..... well, that's the only part that's really questionable. does she genuinely think it's Pete?