Default Rin Okumura vs Denji

I've been wanting to do a Rumble involving these half-Devil delinquents for a while and DS's recent Rin vs Yuji thread inspired me to go for it.

Round 1: Current Rin (without his destructive personality) vs Denji

Round 2: Awakened/Evil Rin vs Chainsaw Devil/Pochita

Bonus Scenario: A sit and talk between both devil hybrids, as well as a separate one between their employers (Mephisto and Makima).
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I've been wanting to do a Rumble involving these half-Devil delinquents for a while and DS's recent Rin vs Yuji thread inspired me to go for it.

Round 1: Current Rin (without his destructive personality) vs Denji

Round 2: Awakened/Evil Rin vs Chainsaw Devil/Pochita

Bonus Scenario: A sit and talk between both devil hybrids, as well as a separate one between their employers (Mephisto and Makima).
    Isn't Current Rin the same level of power as his evil self? Part of the recent arc is that he learnt to control his flame and use his power at its maximum without losing himself.

With that being considered, I'll assess on the basis that Rin and Awakened Rin are basically identical.

1) Rin has flight, superior ranged options and his regeneration doesn't require him to drink blood to activate. Strength is about even, maybe a slight edge to Rin. Denji is pretty silly in how durable he is though, his weaponry also feels a bit more deadly since he tends to dice up his opponents pretty consistently. I would probably back Rin through a war of attrition since his regen has fewer limits but it's very close and very messy.

2) True Chainsaw Man is definitely faster and stronger and the durability problem becomes even more pronounced; with all the weapon devils unloading on him accomplishing nothing and a 1,000 Year Weapon from the Angel doing comparatively little to him. Advantage Denji, Rin is out of his depth here.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 01-20-2023 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Isn't Current Rin the same level of power as his evil self? Part of the recent arc is that he learnt to control his flame and use his power at its maximum without losing himself.

With that being considered, I'll assess on the basis that Rin and Awakened Rin are basically identical.
    It's a bit ambiguous to say since his evil self was heavily implied to be a mountain buster back during the Impure King arc and would've incinerated the mountain summit if Rin - with help from Ucchusma - hadn't altered the properties of his flames to only target the IK's miasma. As well as during the early part of the previous arc when his other self nearly tore down space-time during Rin's trip to the past, according to Mephisto, until he was restrained. To me, it seems that while Rin has control over his flames, he doesn't have full access to the sheer raw power of them yet.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    It's a bit ambiguous to say since his evil self was heavily implied to be a mountain buster back during the Impure King arc and would've incinerated the mountain summit if Rin - with help from Ucchusma - hadn't altered the properties of his flames to only target the IK's miasma.
    This is never said that I can find? Also, that's Rin with help from a high level flame spirit so it's hardly clearly his own power. From skimming through the chapters, he was worried about incinerating his friends rather than the mountain itself being damaged and his flame didn't even engulf the full mountain which we see in the wide shots of Mephisto Pheles watching from the sky.

No mountain busting mentioned, threatened or implied as far as I can see.

As well as during the early part of the previous arc when his other self nearly tore down space-time during Rin's trip to the past, according to Mephisto, until he was restrained. To me, it seems that while Rin has control over his flames, he doesn't have full access to the sheer raw power of them yet.
    The wording on that sequence, which we don't actually see what it entails because we just see Rin having a freak out, Mephisto says; "If you can pry open the other dimensional space I have created, then you really do have the heart of Satan's bastard child,"

Rin also then immediately collapsed and slept a lot.

Like we he have no conception as to the scale of the damage said dimensional damage did to anything beyond it being small enough that it wasn't noticed in the general chaos around baby Rin going ape-shit, whether it's something he can do off his own bat and whether or not it requires him to be in an "other dimensional space," for that to be an option.