Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    As pointed by many others, none of her actual friends are there (I hope that at least they are within the comic itself). I have another question: why are Mary Jane and Paul there? Why are they crying? Have they even met her?

Or does Marvel like to troll fans even during a funeral?
    Mark Waid, who wrote her in Champions will also be writing her in the special issue so I guess he might focus on her friends from the Champions.

Incredible Member

TBH the way the character has been increasingly sidelined of late I am really not that surprised that they would end up fridging her like this. It almost feels like they’ve done this in the most crass way possible just to reap some cheap publicity from the reaction to it.

This is just awful and sickening. Sidelining Kamala this hard and prepping for her rebirth in line with the movie is just tone deaf as hell. This ASM run will be known worse than the Mackie run.

I'm guessing Krak Protocols will close and the mini will be about reviving her just in time during the Fall of X impact in line with Marvels and her upcoming 10th anniversary.

I really hope Nick Lowe and CB Cebluski lose their jobs in the Disney layoffs because they just pissed away all the goodwill from the youth push from the last era in catering wit the aging LCS crowd who won't let go the 90s...the era that doomed comics funny enough.

I guess the big question is will she keep her powers, flip to her MCU powers or they find a balance between the 2? (Stretchy Emma Frost basically?)

What is more sad is GWW is coming back to write a story for this crap, I'm guessing she knows the endgame but has to get the check for this awful dreck of a plot to get there.

Wilson and Waid are both at DC now, so kudos to Marvel's editors for actually getting them back for this.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    I really hope Nick Lowe and CB Cebluski lose their jobs in the Disney layoffs because they just pissed away all the goodwill from the youth push from the last era in catering wit the aging LCS crowd who won't let go the 90s...the era that doomed comics funny enough.
    Actually that was the 2010s LOL. Y'all have got to stop blaming the 90s and accept that there is a new worse era and it's the 2010s.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I doubt G. Willow Wilson would accept to come back for a book that would actually get rid of Kamala or disrespect her... everything about this announcement seems like bait. I agree it was an awful way to promote it, specially when she's about to be a movie star in just a few months, but that's comics for you; always with some gimmick to sell.

Was anyone really clamoring for synergizing Kamala?

Is synergy even a thing nowadays?

When Wandavision came out, Wanda and Vision had long been absent in comics and stayed that way.

When the Multiverse of Madness came out, Dr. Strange was dead.

When No Way Home came out, Peter Parker was in a coma

Quantumania and Guardians of the Galaxy came out recently, and no news of Scott or Starlord's team.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Is synergy even a thing nowadays?

When Wandavision came out, Wanda and Vision had long been absent in comics and stayed that way.

When the Multiverse of Madness came out, Dr. Strange was dead.

When No Way Home came out, Peter Parker was in a coma

Quantumania and Guardians of the Galaxy came out recently, and no news of Scott or Starlord's team.
    Making Wanda and Pietro humans was for synergy and so was the Eternals new looks, and the GoTG roster. They did it to match the movies, and that's what they're doing in this instance. It may not happen 100% of the time though.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

So they only do synergy when they feel like. Nice to know.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Also posted this on x-board.

I'm not the biggest Kamala Khan fan but I like her well enough. I read parts of G. Willow Wilson's run and some issues of Champions and that's basically it. I prefer Kamala as an Inhuman for the sake of consistency and I think being an Inhuman makes her more unique rather than being one of the many mutants who are only used as background dressing when it's convenient. However this is not the reason I'm writing this post. Although I don't consider myself religious or even a spiritual person, I still live in a heavily muslim country (Turkey). I'm simply disgusted, assuming this is done for synergy, that a muslim brown girl is killed by the Spider office just so she can now fall under the control of the X-office when said character didn't have much relation to either office previously. There should be other less controversial/tone deaf ways to retcon a character than this. They are advertising the death of arguably the most successful minority hero with more solo issues than any other if I'm not mistaken. I also have to applaud the Spider office. They are not only continuously pissing of Peter and MJ fans they are now pissing of fans of a character in the greater MU. They literally transcend boundaries.
    In terms of Muslim and Asian decent folks-she is number one bypassing Cassandra Cain and X-23.

And when this mess was happening with T'Challa- I tried to warn folks about this.

If they can bury T'Challa for a movie and folks did all sorts of defending it and calling his fans NUTS. What makes anyone thinks they WON'T do it to others.

They are showing everyone is fair game to deconstruction.

being one of the many mutants who are only used as background dressing when it's convenient.
    THIS right here.....

Now who gets tossed in the back for HER?

Because she's not going to be background with a tv show and having way more solo issues than everyone NOT named Deadpool or Logan.

Synch fans might need to be worried.

Astonishing Member

Try the "say this sentence without laughing" challenge:

Nick Lowe and Zeb Wells fridged Ms. Marvel in 2023 during AAPI Heritage Month in a Spider-Man book she barely appeared in to give Peter more manpain, marketed it as a celebration of the 50th anniversary of Gwen getting fridged, and did it in the middle of massive layoffs.

Not a hyperbole. This is literally what they did.

That's incorrect, the GOTG comic has just relaunched.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Mark Waid, who wrote her in Champions will also be writing her in the special issue so I guess he might focus on her friends from the Champions.
    I assume so, but hopefully he acknowledges the additional members who joined in Zub's run. It won't just be Spider-Man, Nova, Brawn, Viv, Cyclops, Ironheart and Wasp grieving. Snowguard was on the team almost as long as the last two as Riri and Nadia joined in Waid's last arc and Amka in Zub's first.

Synergy tends tends to hit characters with smaller fanbases harder like with the Eternals. Meanwhile Cap, thor, and Tony never line up with the MCU. Then we have weird things like Rhodey getting killed because the civil war trailer implied he did and Carol being half Kree because rumors. If she is being turned into a mutant it does seem pretty convoluted way to do it. They seemingly retconned Monica in her mini with just two pages of dialogue. That is unless they are changing her powers too, and that requires more than a character saying "oops we read your DNA wrong". well there is the possibility that just changed her into a mutant without retconning her being an Inhuman originally.
    Last edited by mung; 05-17-2023 at 06:49 PM.