Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Kamala Khan, Ms. Marvel Appreciation 2023

So far, the year started with Dark Web: Ms. Marvel #2 (but I will leave the cover of #1, because it is cooler), and now she also appears at the end of Venom #15, to stop the fight between symbiotes. Seems like a good start... as long as the symbiotes do not go all after her.

(by the way, I created this thread on this forum section because of tradition, but should it be moved to the Spider-Man subforum? Is Ms. Marvel a Spider-Man character nowadays, or should stay in the larger "Marvel Comics" one?)

I liked her back when she debuted but got bored of her pretty fast. YA stuff stopped appealing to me as I left college. But the TV show and Dark Web tie in got me interested in again.

Plus I made fans of Kamala out of my sister and brother-in-law.

I like that the Dark Web tie-in confirms that she still has her shapeshifting powers though needs to be charged to use it. I wonder if a writer down the line will allow her to break past that limitation so she can use her powers to their full extent.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I liked her back when she debuted but got bored of her pretty fast. YA stuff stopped appealing to me as I left college. But the TV show and Dark Web tie in got me interested in again.

Plus I made fans of Kamala out of my sister and brother-in-law.
    Very cool.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Very cool.
    My sister got into superheroes through the new diverse characters in the MCU. I'm gonna get her a Kamala comic for our birthday (we're fraternal twins).

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    (by the way, I created this thread on this forum section because of tradition, but should it be moved to the Spider-Man subforum? Is Ms. Marvel a Spider-Man character nowadays, or should stay in the larger "Marvel Comics" one?)
    I think the spider office took her because the Avengers office, where she belongs, wasn't currently using her. I'd be surprised if she stays in Amazing Spider-Man once the current run ends though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

My sister got into superheroes through the new diverse characters in the MCU. I'm gonna get her a Kamala comic for our birthday (we're fraternal twins).
    Awww, I love stories like this. One of my friends watched the Ms. Marvel show with her niece and nephew, they're Muslims living in Jersey so it was a nice treat for them.

Even better.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Awww, I love stories like this. One of my friends watched the Ms. Marvel show with her niece and nephew, they're Muslims living in Jersey so it was a nice treat for them.
    As a Jerseyan myself, it was a very nice show, much like the comics that inspired it.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I'm hard on Kamala and her friends but I'm a Muslim fan so I want her to do well.

I don't mind the Djinn angle and I'm hoping the comic does something with it. She doesn't need to be one but I like the group idea.

Same with Red Dagger as he is one character the show massively improved upon compared to the comic.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-21-2023 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I like that the Dark Web tie-in confirms that she still has her shapeshifting powers though needs to be charged to use it. I wonder if a writer down the line will allow her to break past that limitation so she can use her powers to their full extent.
    That lines up with the initial nerf explanation. Maybe Bruno could whip up something that could charger her up temporarily.

I'm hard on Kamala and her friends but I'm a Muslim fan so I want her to do well.

I don't mind the Djinn angle and I'm hoping the comic does something with it. She doesn't need to be one but I like the group idea.

Same with Red Dagger as he is one character the show massively improved upon compared to the comic.
    Honestly I feel differently about Red Dagger. I think the chemistry with Kamala was the same but it was too much sudden lore with the Order of the Red Dagger and I didn't need to see him kill someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly I feel differently about Red Dagger. I think the chemistry with Kamala was the same but it was too much sudden lore with the Order of the Red Dagger and I didn't need to see him kill someone.
    I was just bored with him in Wilson's second series. He just felt like a bland side character and wasted potential. Sort of like Riley from Buffy.

Plus I'm more into antiheroes and I thought those additions made him a stronger character to spinoff into his own stories or series. Him killing someone makes him a stronger foil than Kamala. So I just let that stuff slide althought the kill would've been better for a season 2. Watching his grief turn into anger is a good arc to play with for him.

I had a Muslim friend who disliked how her parents were in the show. He felt they were too Disney and soft on Kamala. Muslim parents are known for being pretty strict and so that's something they could balance better in season 2. Even in the comics her parents felt more grounded and real than the shows take.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-22-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Whoops. Funko put the wrong name on a Kamala figure.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I was just bored with him in Wilson's second series. He just felt like a bland side character and wasted potential. Sort of like Riley from Buffy.

Plus I'm more into antiheroes and I thought those additions made him a stronger character to spinoff into his own stories or series. Him killing someone makes him a stronger foil than Kamala. So I just let that stuff slide althought the kill would've been better for a season 2. Watching his grief turn into anger is a good arc to play with for him.

I had a Muslim friend who disliked how her parents were in the show. He felt they were too Disney and soft on Kamala. Muslim parents are known for being pretty strict and so that's something they could balance better in season 2. Even in the comics her parents felt more grounded and real than the shows take.
    I understand, but to me it felt out of place for Kamala's world.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Whoops. Funko put the wrong name on a Kamala figure.
    Funny enough, in some future continuities, she does become Captain Marvel, so maybe foreshadowing?