Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I had a Muslim friend who disliked how her parents were in the show. He felt they were too Disney and soft on Kamala. Muslim parents are known for being pretty strict and so that's something they could balance better in season 2. Even in the comics her parents felt more grounded and real than the shows take.
    That's so funny, other (non-Muslim) friends who watched it harped on how strict and overbearing her parents were because we had way more freedom at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I understand, but to me it felt out of place for Kamala's world.
    I see that but she is in the Marvel Universe which is a more flawed place. So she stands out like Cap does- her moral high ground makes her different to the Avengers.

But a concession could be they disagree on it and Red Dagger has some regrets over it.

It would've been better in a crossover with Cap or Hawkeye as they are characters who do kill their enemies. Sam may have wanted to spare Flag Smasher but he isn't a pacifist.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    That's so funny, other (non-Muslim) friends who watched it harped on how strict and overbearing her parents were because we had way more freedom at that age.
    Lol it is. They are too lax to be Muslim parents but too strict to be American parents.

That could be an arc for Kamala's father- was he ever the disciplinarian or did Kamala's mom have to bear that responsibility? Or did he cool down by Kamala's teen years?

I thought her parents in the show were mostly accurate to the comics. In the comics, her mother upon realising that Kamala was Ms. Marvel, was just grateful that her sneaking out was to do righteous stuff and not to do drink or drugs. In the show, she actually makes the costume, which Kamala did herself in the comics - her parents found out much earlier in the show. Her father was always quite strict, grounding her for being late or going AWOL (because she'd snuck off to be Ms. Marvel, and he didn't know she was the local superhero). In the show he didn't seem to have a problem with Kamala having powers, and even came up with the Ms. Marvel codename (which is completely unrelated to Carol being Captain Marvel, unlike in the comics where Kamala simply took a name Carol previously used), whereas in the comics his big issue seemed to be the fact she'd been keeping secrets and endangering herself, and he got mindwiped before that could develop further. They're strict in some ways (they'd definitely be angry if they caught Kamala eating pork, she herself called that "infidel meat" in her first arc) but very liberal in others.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I see that but she is in the Marvel Universe which is a more flawed place. So she stands out like Cap does- her moral high ground makes her different to the Avengers.

But a concession could be they disagree on it and Red Dagger has some regrets over it.

It would've been better in a crossover with Cap or Hawkeye as they are characters who do kill their enemies. Sam may have wanted to spare Flag Smasher but he isn't a pacifist.
    To be honest I felt so much dissonance with their treatment of the Flag-Smashers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest I felt so much dissonance with their treatment of the Flag-Smashers.
    Nando V. Movies did a good fix it for them. You should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I thought her parents in the show were mostly accurate to the comics. In the comics, her mother upon realising that Kamala was Ms. Marvel, was just grateful that her sneaking out was to do righteous stuff and not to do drink or drugs. In the show, she actually makes the costume, which Kamala did herself in the comics - her parents found out much earlier in the show. Her father was always quite strict, grounding her for being late or going AWOL (because she'd snuck off to be Ms. Marvel, and he didn't know she was the local superhero). In the show he didn't seem to have a problem with Kamala having powers, and even came up with the Ms. Marvel codename (which is completely unrelated to Carol being Captain Marvel, unlike in the comics where Kamala simply took a name Carol previously used), whereas in the comics his big issue seemed to be the fact she'd been keeping secrets and endangering herself, and he got mindwiped before that could develop further. They're strict in some ways (they'd definitely be angry if they caught Kamala eating pork, she herself called that "infidel meat" in her first arc) but very liberal in others.
    I am glad they did the reveal that soon she doesn't need to be like Spider Man with her folks.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I am glad they did the reveal that soon she doesn't need to be like Spider Man with her folks.
    Thats one of the big reasons I was a bit "eh" on Saladin's run. Erasing her parents memory of her being Ms. Marvel was a mistake in my opinion.

Agreed, Kamala's family knowing she's Ms. Marvel makes her different from the usual young hero and allows writers to explore different stories with her.

I think Ahmed didn't want her to have the same status quo as Miles, who he was also writing at the time. His parents do know he's Spider-Man.

Perhaps Outlawed should've had her re-outed (in the second half of the Champions book - it really is a miracle her secret identity stayed intact after that storyline). She did that Roxxon internship as a way to infiltrate the company (after basically having her hand forced by Nova). As she planned, it of course fell apart when the team exposed them as the masterminds behind Kamala's Law. But then her father made her take the Oscorp internship as seen in Amazing Spider-Man. She couldn't say no to the idea without exposing herself, since she apparently graduated off panel (the job has been shown to be full time) and thus can't use studying as an excuse. Her brother was unemployed for years, focusing on his religion instead, until he actually got a job at the mosque. Her parents obviously didn't want Kamala being a layabout like he was.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-24-2023 at 07:02 AM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Peter Parker's Spider-Man, I presume, since Miles Morales's Spider-Man had his parents eventually knowing who he was and supporting him in that despite some early friction, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by dang0 View Post
    Thats one of the big reasons I was a bit "eh" on Saladin's run. Erasing her parents memory of her being Ms. Marvel was a mistake in my opinion.
    Understandable. I liked the Stormranger plotline, even if it was something of a retread of Spider-Man's Alien Costume Saga as adapted by the 90s animated series and then Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3. I did appreciate that unlike the symbiote suit, Stormranger became an independent entity rather than latch onto another wearer with less will to resist its murderous urges and impulses.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Agreed, Kamala's family knowing she's Ms. Marvel makes her different from the usual young hero and allows writers to explore different stories with her.
    Also reminiscent of Jaime Reyes's Blue Beetle and how his friends and family were largely in the know and supportive of his heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I think Ahmed didn't want her to have the same status quo as Miles, who he was also writing at the time. His parents do know he's Spider-Man.

Perhaps Outlawed should've had her re-outed (in the second half of the Champions book - it really is a miracle her secret identity stayed intact after that storyline). She did that Roxxon internship as a way to infiltrate the company (after basically having her hand forced by Nova). As she planned, it of course fell apart when the team exposed them as the masterminds behind Kamala's Law. But then her father made her take the Oscorp internship as seen in Amazing Spider-Man. She couldn't say no to the idea without exposing herself, since she apparently graduated off panel (the job has been shown to be full time) and thus can't use studying as an excuse. Her brother was unemployed for years, focusing on his religion instead, until he actually got a job at the mosque. Her parents obviously didn't want Kamala being a layabout like he was.
    Probably, though a good writer could still come up with ways to differentiate Kamala's family from Miles's, even if both families know they're superheroes. I could see Kamala's family as a bit fussier or more worried over Kamala's heroics in terms of the danger they could put her in, or whether or not she's picking up bad influences from some of her role models or peers, at least compared to Miles's parents, given that his dad was a former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent in the comics and all that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

You'd think Kamala would attend college, since she's portrayed as smart in school (at least there was that science contest between her and Miles?) But maybe it's a summer job or something?

Maybe she can't afford it and had to pass on it for a year? It's not a summer job, as the current Dark Web event is actually set at Christmas.

I think she'll still be in high school in the immediate future.

If she hasn't graduated though, she shouldn't be involved in ASM issues that aren't set on the weekend. She's there pretty much every time Peter is shown working at Oscorp.

It would logically make sense that she shouldn't have graduated yet though, as Miles is still at high school and Avengers and Champions always treated the two as being the same age. The whole Oscorp internship thing seems like a continuity mess up to me, which is odd as of course both ASM and Miles have the same editors.

Astonishing Member

I feel at this time the only acceptable answer is this is a alternate future Kamala who somehow used her mass growing to come to this time to help Peter otherwise based on the info given the options are.

Option 1) They aged Kamala up in this book and just went yep she is working here now, a highly advanced lab right out of high-school.
    Option 2) Kamala is working at a highly advanced lab for a part time job while still in high-school.

They could of just made her a delivery girl for a restaurant chain Norman owns so his employees get a discount, and the money savings is why they constantly order from there to explain her now supporting role.