Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I know what you are getting at but I still don't see why this should be the case in the big flagship book. That can happen in other related books and if something turns out to be hit then you can do more with it.

Also your suggestion of only using 2-3 All Stars is faulty because it implies that they are interchangeable which is obviously not that the case. Just look at this thread alone and see how many specially said that they are happy that Wanda and Vision are back on the team.
    So we go with your suggestion and the following thing happens. My favorites are not in it, Im kinda meh on the two other All Stars and obviously Im not interested in the rest of the cast because I don't know them or care about them. How are you planning on selling me this book? You surely see the problem here.

I don't buy things because of it's name. I don't buy things because of its writer or artist either. I only care about characters and reading stories that utilize said characters. I don't think that's an alien concept and I think there are many like me.
    Not every book is for everybody. It is the writer's job to make the book as broadly appealing as possible. And if it is just the same characters over and over in multiple books a month it gets monotonous.

As far as buying for characters...I tend to be more interested in characters who aren't over-utilized.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I agree that the lineup still reflects Marvel's approach of treating the Avengers as a Justice League type of all-star book instead of giving more newcomers and weirdos a chance like in the Bendis and Hickman runs.
    Perhaps the questionable quality animated series AVENGERS:UNITED THEY STAND got that bit right, having more journeymen characters front and center with the big guns looming over them as in the opening credits (see ending)
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Though right now, there's no Justice League book at all.
    I still find this to be pretty weird
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Aaron's characterization was so off that out of all the characters you listed only the Black Panther, Blade and Ghost Rider was written in character.

Credit where credit is due the man is the best Black Panther/Blade writer at Marvel. He needs to be given an honorary Marvel Voices story this February.

So everyone is excited because they haven't read them in character for awhile.
    I wonder why Marvel hasn't let him do a solo with BP or Blade yet. I have a feeling he at least asked for it, Blade himself is way overdue for one.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I wonder why Marvel hasn't let him do a solo with BP or Blade yet. I have a feeling he at least asked for it, Blade himself is way overdue for one.
    I ain't answering this. I'll get in trouble.
    "Cable was right!"

My first thought on this was honestly two straight black men in a book together is this marvel. But i was like we starting somewhere so diversity, "check" i mean i'm not even what one would consider a straight black male and i was agasp with how rare a line up like this is in 2023. I just don't see where Black men lost their place in media but i've truly been noticing it as i watch a lot of shows in the background and ingest a lot of information and it really kind of makes me sad. It makes me think of my dad who was just a great man. Stories like his need to exist. Figures like him need to be seen. And i didn't realize his power despite taking care of him during the years he was sick and i was a preteen and sort of resented some stuff until he was gone. No regrets so not a sad story at all as i was my dad's number 1 and that is fact no child of his didn't know i was the bee's knees even if i didn't see it at the time. But yeah.
    Last edited by jwatson; 01-25-2023 at 02:18 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Simply put Marvel seems to have this thing now where when it comes to solo books they only want black writers to write black characters.

Jason Aaron: Hey can I do Black Panther?

Marvel: Uhh...here's the thing. You have a habit of making The Black Panther look like a badass king and one step ahead of his enemies. That isn't the direction we want to go in with the character. We want everyone to hate him and for him to get his butt kicked and constantly out maneuvered by everyone and we don't want him to be a king.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Jason Aaron: Hey can I do Black Panther?

Marvel: Uhh...here's the thing. You have a habit of making The Black Panther look like a badass king and one step ahead of his enemies. That isn't the direction we want to go in with the character. We want everyone to hate him and for him to get his butt kicked and constantly out maneuvered by everyone and we don't want him to be a king.
    It's so funny because for me Aaron fell off when it comes to the Avengers but his Panther and Punisher are dope AF, I would have loved a MAXI series similar to the Punisher one with Black Panther.

But I wonder if Disney/Marvel is scared to give a Black Panther book to a white guy?

Yeah, that's a theme with him. It's the same for Ms. Marvel, whose solo writers are always Muslims. They don't want these characters to have solo books written by someone who doesn't match the character. The thing is though, with T'Challa, it's unlikely any comics writer can ever fully match up to him, as he isn't African-American, he's straight up African. Unlike Kamala's writers, do T'Challa's actually understand his culture? More than likely they have to do research, which is no different to what a white writer would have to do.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yeah, that's a theme with him. It's the same for Ms. Marvel, whose solo writers are always Muslims. They don't want these characters to have solo books written by someone who doesn't match the character. The thing is though, with T'Challa, it's unlikely any comics writer can ever fully match up to him, as he isn't African-American, he's straight up African. Unlike Kamala's writers, do T'Challa's actually understand his culture? More than likely they have to do research, which is no different to what a white writer would have to do.
    100%

Who knows maybe Disney/Marvel will allow it in 5-10 years?

Ultimate Member

Exactly this.

I’m surprised no one has gone through timeless and compared and contrasted the twilight court to the avengers yet. Since the twilight court is based on the knights of the round table, it could offer insight into how this run will unfold

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    I’m surprised no one has gone through timeless and compared and contrasted the twilight court to the avengers yet. Since the twilight court is based on the knights of the round table, it could offer insight into how this run will unfold
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Hmmm...

Isn't that the same list of descriptors as the Twilight Court in Timeless? That suggests a 1:1 correspondence with the depicted team above.

Let's see…

The Star Lancelot Captain Marvel
    The Icon Parsifal Captain America
    The Witch Mordred Scarlet Witch
    The Construct Bercilak Vision
    The God Galehaut Thor
    The Engineer Bedivere Iron Man
    The King Artur T'Challa
    here ya go.

Though right now, there's no Justice League book at all.
    Maybe DC without any Batman book would be more shocking!