Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Terminus? Been a while since I read something with him in it. McKay seems to be a fan of the Stern era.
    Right? Stern’s run is the gold standard for which I base my judgement regarding all Avengers runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    The ratio of female members to male members on the team is fine where it is.
    Thanks for chiming in *eye roll
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Huh the mention of all-male teams and bringing up the Illuminati made me realize that for a team that is comprised of the "great/smartest authority leaders" of the Marvel Universe...... has no women on it, huh.

Well if we ever to make a next-generation Illuminati, Ironheart and Moon Girl would probably be on it at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Huh the mention of all-male teams and bringing up the Illuminati made me realize that for a team that is comprised of the "great/smartest authority leaders" of the Marvel Universe...... has no women on it, huh.

Well if we ever to make a next-generation Illuminati, Ironheart and Moon Girl would probably be on it at least.
    Clea would fit in pretty well if Doctor Strange wasn't available and imo so would Val Richards if Reed wasn't available.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Clea would fit in pretty well if Doctor Strange wasn't available and imo so would Val Richards if Reed wasn't available.

Kind of missing the point of the Illuminati.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

The retcon that created them claims they were around as consequence of the Kree/Skrull war, I'm not sure if any female characters back then were in such a position of power, or if there were women that intelligent... Would Medusa be the only one with that much authority back then? Even then, Black Bolt is the bigger deal between both... And she wouldn't just replace him if he was busy considering that Illuminati itself is a secret.

I'm not sure it would be a good idea for them to make the same dumbass mistake that is creating another Illuminati lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    With the way MacKay characterizes Clea, I don't see her having that much patience to deal with an Illuminati, though, that could mean she could have Namor's role of being a contrarian (Though far less violent about it).

Valeria would be pretty fitting to make or just be part of Illuminati on her more villainous moods.

Still think it's better to avoid a "new generation" of Illuminati, that **** made the characters involved come across as even dumber and more incompetent than usual if you think of how long they must've been acting over the years, and even the **** they try to do in modern days have them fucking up more often than not...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    How is T'challa flying?
    Vibranium remembers when it was still a baby meteor wandering freely in the void of space….. see …. We don’t need Aaron anymore!
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The retcon that created them claims they were around as consequence of the Kree/Skrull war, I'm not sure if any female characters back then were in such a position of power, or if there were women that intelligent... Would Medusa be the only one with that much authority back then? Even then, Black Bolt is the bigger deal between both... And she wouldn't just replace him if he was busy considering that Illuminati itself is a secret.

I'm not sure it would be a good idea for them to make the same dumbass mistake that is creating another Illuminati lol.

With the way MacKay characterizes Clea, I don't see her having that much patience to deal with an Illuminati, though, that could mean she could have Namor's role of being a contrarian (Though far less violent about it).

Valeria would be pretty fitting to make or just be part of Illuminati on her more villainous moods.

Still think it's better to avoid a "new generation" of Illuminati, that **** made the characters involved come across as even dumber and more incompetent than usual if you think of how long they must've been acting over the years, and even the **** they try to do in modern days have them fucking up more often than not...
    The funny thing is the Illuminati is ultimately born from arrogance. These guys thinking they have the answers for everything and could solve all the problems of the world on their own. Its why they sent Hulk into space without asking him, and why during the Incursion Events they refused to tell anyone about it until it was too late under the belief they could solve it in time.

Pure Arrogance.

Which amusingly is something Riri, Moon Girl, and as mentioned Val Richards are all guilty of. They are no different in believing their intelligence means they should be able to solve all the problems and ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Kind of missing the point of the Illuminati.
    I'm quite aware of the point of the Illuminati.
    Last edited by Steroid; 02-11-2023 at 07:22 AM.

I'm really curious on what other classic Avengers villains this new lineup will face. We know we're getting Terminus and Kang but I would love to see this lineup mix it up with Count Nefaria or Graviton. As far as villain teams I really wish that someone would bring back the Exemplars.

Mighty Member

If I'm not mistaken; in a recent captain America run wasn't it revealed that there was a female only hero group operating in secret, an Illuminati lite if you will?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure if Volstagg is even still doing that anymore. I don't think that council has been mentioned since like mid-Aaron's Thor and then Aaron had him become a War Thor and pretty much forgot about him after that.
    I could swear the current run has mentioned it, at least in passing, but maybe you're right.

I did like the War Thor. Stupid as it was, it was still a hel of a visual.

Hildegarde just felt like Aaron trying to prove he could make a female equivalent of anything and not sweat the details. It didn't feel like she gelled with them like Volstagg did she was just there to say sassy comments and obviously be female Volstagg in the Warriors Three.
    True, but I feel like the Warriors Three haven't really had enough focus lately to do much of anything other than make a few sassy comments. When was the last time any of them even had a small subplot?

But hey, at least Thor's portrayal can only go up from here in this Avengers run .
    I'm not worried about McKay. Not very familiar with his work I don't think, but all of y'all are pretty excited and I got a good feeling about the run. But please, don't say it can't get any worse. We all know that it can always get worse, no matter how bad it already is.

Zombie Punisher.

Ric Grayson.

>shudder<
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    If I'm not mistaken; in a recent captain America run wasn't it revealed that there was a female only hero group operating in secret, an Illuminati lite if you will?
    The Daughters of Liberty...but they were just so random.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Daugh...ty_(Earth-616)
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

This reminds me that the smartest women (or the most prominent ones) at Marvel right now are all teenagers or kids .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I could swear the current run has mentioned it, at least in passing, but maybe you're right.

I did like the War Thor. Stupid as it was, it was still a hel of a visual.
    It was a cool look but the actual story and execution behind it was...less than stellar in my mind.
    True, but I feel like the Warriors Three haven't really had enough focus lately to do much of anything other than make a few sassy comments. When was the last time any of them even had a small subplot?
    Which is a shame and emblematic of one of the main issues with the books as of late in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Right? Stern’s run is the gold standard for which I base my judgement regarding all Avengers runs.

Thanks for chiming in *eye roll
    Terminus from Stern's run is very closely related to the Avengers. He's so related in fact that Busiek had him as the first villain that the Justice League faced during the 2003 JLA/Avengers crossover:
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

The funny thing is the Illuminati is ultimately born from arrogance. These guys thinking they have the answers for everything and could solve all the problems of the world on their own. Its why they sent Hulk into space without asking him, and why during the Incursion Events they refused to tell anyone about it until it was too late under the belief they could solve it in time.
    I would argue that it's a natural outcome where superheroes are unregulated and you have very basic sense of anarchy so the biggest players/stakeholders come together at the table to hammer out something as a tool for collective decision making. You see it irl with things like international relations between states or organized crime between various factions.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-11-2023 at 10:52 AM.