Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Especially *this* Avengers team. These guys feel like major heavy hitters in a way a lot of Avengers teams don't. Getting real JLA vibes here, and you need bigger villains than Roxxon for that.

I get the folks who are tired of the big extinction level events. But I think this team really favors that kind of scope. Anything small scale, and I'm gonna be wondering why seven of the most powerful/dangerous people on earth all have to team up for it. Hopefully Uncanny Avengers will have that smaller, more personal scale, for the fans looking for it. And I'm sure we'll have plenty of smaller, more personal moments in this run too.

Really enjoyed the first issue, now that I've finally got to the LCS. Great handle on the characters and their dynamics, good setup, everyone gets a moment to be cool. McKay handles Carol really well and it's great to see T'Challa get the respect he deserves. I haven't followed his solo since Coates, and I'm sick of the deconstruction/abuse of Wakanda, so being able to get T'Challa in his glory here was a real nice change of pace.

I don't think I have any real complaints here at all. Not even any nitpicks worth typing.
    Thank you for saying as it is. It's very annoying to not have characters written to their potential. Nobody wants to read a story about this team getting clowned on by the Punisher or The Hood or whatever other small-time villain you can imagine. That would be borderline offensive and could not be taken seriously. It's great to see that #1 already made it clear that McKay has understood the assignment and actually uses the skills and powers this team has.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd still love to see this team chilling out at Avengers Mansion.
    I agree and would love a return of the mansion. At the very least I really want Jarvis back in the series.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I agree and would love a return of the mansion. At the very least I really want Jarvis back in the series.
    I thought Jarvis was dead?

But I agree, I'd be fine with the Avengers returning to the mansion *and* Jarvis.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Thank you for saying as it is. It's very annoying to not have characters written to their potential.
    Yeah, I never saw the point of getting the most powerful, world-breaking heroes together.....just so they could fight some low rent mooks. With as much power as this team is packing, there's bigger problems to deal with than the Wrecking Crew or Roxxon, y'know?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

But I agree, I'd be fine with the Avengers returning to the mansion *and* Jarvis.
    He's alive and well. He just showed up in the recent Wasps mini.

Yeah, I never saw the point of getting the most powerful, world-breaking heroes together.....just so they could fight some low rent mooks. With as much power as this team is packing, there's bigger problems to deal with than the Wrecking Crew or Roxxon, y'know?
    The Avengers were never about getting the most powerful world breaking heroes together. That was always the Justice League Of America. The Avengers is built on a sense of familiarity (Tony Stark's family mansion and Jarvis) and camaraderie. The Avengers have more in common with the Justice Society Of America. As for lesser threats? The entire team doesn't have to be together every issue. It's okay to see two or three of them working sometimes. If everything is turned up to 10 all the time (and at Marvel it is) there is no sense of scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid
    series
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended
    I thought Jarvis was dead? But I agree, I'd be fine with the Avengers returning to the mansion *and* Jarvis.
    I doubt that is going to happen. Modern Marvel and living in a mansion and having a butler don't mix.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

My view of the Avengers is that they are just whoever Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor can draft to save the world at the moment.

I think the scene in Infinity War where Stark does a quick little move like he is knighting Spider-Man, and clearly himself does not take it nearly as seriously as Spider-Man, perfectly sums up the Avengers. In his mind, he's just drafting whoever he can find. The idea that the Avengers are some epic team of the best of the best is just Stark's public relations department at work to keep the public calm. The Avengers are really just three guys drafting whoever they can draft when emergencies happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The Avengers were never about getting the most powerful world breaking heroes together. That was always the Justice League Of America. The Avengers is built on a sense of familiarity (Tony Stark's family mansion and Jarvis) and camaraderie. The Avengers have more in common with the Justice Society Of America. As for lesser threats? The entire team doesn't have to be together every issue. It's okay to see two or three of them working sometimes. If everything is turned up to 10 all the time (and at Marvel it is) there is no sense of scale.
    All current members are veteran members of the team and they know each other so obviously familiarity and camaraderie is still there. Still doesn't change the fact that this team has Scarlet Witch, Thor, Captain Marvel and Vision. "Lesser threats" can't do **** against any of them individually so even a duo or trio is overkill. Even in the current Punisher and Daredevil run that includes an Avengers team just to job against the titular hero, it conventionally doesn't include any of these people. Street levelers would get their ass handed to them in a few seconds at most. There is not even a discussion to be had about that fact.

I personally don't expect or want to read street level stories with a team that is far above that. Also does "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" ring any bells? The Avengers are in-universe the premier super hero team.

You're probably thinking of Alfred Pennyworth, the Batman character who Edwin Jarvis, honestly, was originally a knock-off of. They're both butlers working for rich superheroes...
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You're probably thinking of Alfred Pennyworth, the Batman character who Edwin Jarvis, honestly, was originally a knock-off of. They're both butlers working for rich superheroes...
    Yeah! They need to break the mold and feature butlers working for poor superheroes!
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well they do want to downplay any potential Batman comparisons.

Its why Moon Knight in his show received some significant changes like shifting Steven Grant's monetary situation to poor and excising his moon-themed gadgets so he won't be called a "Batman rip-off".

The first use of the current team in another title in Betsy Braddock: Captain Britain #4

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    The first use of the current team in another title in Betsy Braddock: Captain Britain #4

And Wanda is in the right costume!

Astonishing Member

True, but when they first went up again Roxxon, they had to battle the Squadron Supreme. As much as I am tired of big events, I wouldn't want to see the group go up against guys like Absorbing Man and Grey Gargoyle again like they did in Micheline's run.

Yeah, I don't disagree with the notion that this JLAvengers thing isn't exactly a 'normal' take on the team. Like I said myself, "These guys feel like major heavy hitters in a way a lot of Avengers teams don't." The classic mansion style team *is* more like the JSA (that's a good way to put it!). And I like the notion of the team being just whoever Tony or Steve can find at the time, and the idea of the Avengers has grown beyond the actual group. I'm not a hardcore Avengers guy but that rings true to me.

But with *this* roster, I don't really want to see them take on Stilt Man, know what I'm saying?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    My view of the Avengers is that they are just whoever Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor can draft to save the world at the moment.

Definitely not how I see it, and definitely not why I read the book.