Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It would be awesome if the Avengers teamed up with The Union. Their mini was well written with great art. Marvel should be pushing them as the face of Europe. Attachment 132565
    Really agree there. That mini had amazing art and fun new characters. I was super-impressed, considering that it kept getting pushed back, I half-expected something kind of disappointing, to explain the constant pushing back it got after the initial announcement, but it was stellar, and, honestly, it's probably for the best that it got pushed out of the otherwise forgettable event it was supposed to be a part of.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

It would be awesome if the Avengers teamed up with The Union.Their mini was well written with great art. Marvel should be pushing them as the face of Europe. Attachment 132565
    I'd rather see heroes from other parts of Europe (especially from Southern and Eastern Europe) -- the Union should be presented as the face of the United Kingdom.
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 06-11-2023 at 03:39 AM.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Eastern Europe? You mean like Russia's resident team, the Winter Guard? I wonder how they'd respond to the current real-life war there?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    I'd rather see heroes from other parts of Europe (especially from Southern and Eastern Europe) -- the Union should be presented as the face of the United Kingdom.
    Yeah! Plenty to go around, just beggin' for some much-needed attention...

It would be awesome if the Avengers teamed up with The Union.Their mini was well written with great art. Marvel should be pushing them as the face of Europe. Attachment 132565
    Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Eastern Europe? You mean like Russia's resident team, the Winter Guard? I wonder how they'd respond to the current real-life war there?
    I've always enjoyed a bit of super-hero global politics in my comics. Groups like the Winter Guard (People's Protectorate or the Soviet Super-Soldiers), and all the other Russian smaller teams, Big Hero Six, Alpha Flight, China Force, Excalibur, the Union, etc... (Plus, the People's Heroes, the Global Guardians, the Great Ten, and others over at DC), have always made the reading experience more enjoyable for me. I really loved the late 80's and early 90's when this international factor was more emphasized. However, nowdays, writers are too heavy handed in their personal politics, and there is little sublty in the writing of each countries own agenda. A shame, really.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 01-12-2024 at 09:00 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Damn! I thought Clint & Herc weren't on speaking terms...

Was this really the last time they directly interacted? I remember they seemed fine with each other during the Busiek run and they were both in Avengers No Road Home together.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

The one big disappointment I have with McKay's run is that...I'm really kind of tired of the Endgame Avengers scenario...give me a kick ass Masters of Evil story or something like that for a little while. The Avengers are supposed to be like our main line of defense yes? Well...seems to me that some of the Earth's villains would want to take them out maybe? But then again, I'm not even sure what would make up a new Masters. (For the record, I actually like Titania and Absorbing Man being morally grey and not straight out villains now.) Still though...do we have enough villains for a new Masters of Evil? No one it seems much has a nemesis any more...it's either other heroes or intergalactic or other dimensional threats.
    Dont get me wrong..I'm here for McKay's story, but I would just like some normal heroes versus villains sometime.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The one big disappointment I have with McKay's run is that...I'm really kind of tired of the Endgame Avengers scenario...give me a kick ass Masters of Evil story or something like that for a little while. The Avengers are supposed to be like our main line of defense yes? Well...seems to me that some of the Earth's villains would want to take them out maybe? But then again, I'm not even sure what would make up a new Masters. (For the record, I actually like Titania and Absorbing Man being morally grey and not straight out villains now.) Still though...do we have enough villains for a new Masters of Evil? No one it seems much has a nemesis any more...it's either other heroes or intergalactic or other dimensional threats.
    Dont get me wrong..I'm here for McKay's story, but I would just like some normal heroes versus villains sometime.
    Where is the downtime!?

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I think we do, I just think that some of the more traditional foes (Titania and Absorbing Man, as you mentioned) have moved on and other, smaller villains will need to be amplified. Which I'd view as a positive, because there are so many cool villains out there that people rarely think of using beyond some mass villain group shot thing. Put one or two more "name" villains at the head of the team (say, for example, the Leader and Klaw) and then fill the ranks with the lesser types, give them a chance to develop, etc. Hell, it might even be smart to do a Masters of Evil series to build these guys up as well as lay out their plan, then end the book with the attack on the Avengers in that series.
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 01-09-2024 at 12:48 PM.

I agree that we don't seem to have many straight out super-villains nowadays, especially the henchman kind. I also miss them. I miss when so many stories were about the villains plans, and what made them tick. I don't know if many remember, but Under Siege (still considered on of the best Masters of Evil stories) was set up along many months of stories as a secondary plot, many time, not even on the Avengers books (I recall Mongoose, who ended up NOT joining Zemo's MoE, was to be picked up by the Absorbing Man and Titania in the pages of ASM). That was the kind of storytelling that the new, modern, publishing model, seems to have made impratical. A shame, IMHO.
    As for a list of Super-villains that might pose more traditional threats to the Avengers and other heroes, especially the henchman kind, we have the abovementioned Mongoose, Quicksand, Stellaris (the Celestial Killer), Bison. Lodestone, Stunner, Stratosfire, The Leader, The Abomination, Klaw, Whirlwind, Cyclone, Tiger Shark, Bloodwraith, the Blood Brothers, etc... Most of these guys, with a little bit of creative teaking, could be used in teams like the MoE, or the Letahl Legion, or the Emissaries of Evil, or, whatever. We have some old threats that could be repurposed, such as Pagan and Lord Templar, or the Serpent Society. I've always wanted to see a definitive, super-powered, human version of the Zodiac Cartel. There are still pleanty of run of the mil, criminal supervillain threats around for our heroes to face, it's just that, for now, writers don't seem to want to use them.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 01-12-2024 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Damn! I thought Clint & Herc weren't on speaking terms...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Sensei View Post
    Was this really the last time they directly interacted? I remember they seemed fine with each other during the Busiek run and they were both in Avengers No Road Home together.
    I guess Hercules eventually cooled off. Once an Avenger, always an Avenger. It's a hard bond to ignore, and they did have a lot of history together. However, their eventual reconciliation was a story I would like to have read.

Peace

I started reading volume 1 and its a solid blockbuster.

The Twilight Court are cool new characters and I'd be interested in them getting a spinoff.

It's hilarious how the closest we get to downtime in this comic is a wordless montage in the first two pages.

Ah well, I guess the action is still on-point even if "let's switch dance partners" is the most obvious fight cliche in the book, but the Twilight Court still seem interesting.

Though it's kind of funny how the Avengers also forgot one of them...