Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

T’Challa has a solo in name only, for 8 years. In fact being in limbo would have been more preferable to what Coates and Ridley have done with T’Challa and Eve Ewing will most likely continue the horse kicking. So I don’t want to hear it. I don’t care. I’m buying this book for T’Challa (although I like every character on the roster and wouldn’t ask for substitutions) and I’m excited to see what Jed cooks up.

So torn. Stellar creative team. I love Scarlet Witch, Vision, and Thor. I'm indifferent toward FalCap. I actively dislike Carol Danvers, Tony Stark, and Black Panther. I'll see what the first few issues hold, especially with Immonen on covers.
    As for the roster being expressions of concepts and Arthurian figures, I'm reminded of JLA by Morrison and Porter which ditched the lesser known members and mapped the Big Seven and subsequent additions to Greek gods.
    Last edited by nx01a; 01-21-2023 at 06:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Hoping to see some more from Stuart Immonen at Marvel aside from covers. He's done all the major books at one point or another but I'd take him back on Avengers, X-Men or FF in a heartbeat.

I’m optimistic. I haven’t read much from McCay, but he seems pretty well liked. And Villa is a very competent artist.
    I’m not totally crazy about the line-up, but I’m really REALLY happy Wanda and Vision are finally back where they belong. And at least the Captain America this time is Sam. But probably confirming Steve is in UA, which I don’t care about.
    I do hope the team is expanded later on to add lesser known without solos.
    I’d personally add Wave because she can represent the underwater side of the MU and still has tons of room to develop as a character.

Mighty Member

I am kinda disappointed and upset with the new wave of Avengers. Remember when the Avengers book is a home for B/C-Listed Heroes who can't survive an ongoing run? Where are Wasp, Ant-Man, Wonder Man, Justice, and Mockingbird these days?

NO MONICA RAMBEAU despite the push for a major role in the upcoming 'The Marvels' movie.
    NO BLACK KNIGHT despite his introduction in Eternal Movie.
    NO WONDER MAN despite having 2 'Marvel Tales' reprints and a facsimile edition (All these Marvel Tales reprints spotlight those characters would show up later in an important roles).
    NO JANET VAN DYNE despite starting to get some love and attention in the upcoming 'Ant-Man & Wasp: Quantumania".

And not only that, Vision is the only new line-up that does not have its own ongoing. The rest of them have their own run. So what are the points of having the same faces?
    Last edited by LAWtoyoto 432; 01-21-2023 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    I am kinda of disappointed and upset with the new wave of Avengers. Remember when Avengers book is a home for B/C-Listed Heroes? Where are Wasp, Ant-Man, Wonder Man, Justice, and Mockingbird these days.

NO MONICA RAMBEAU despite the push for a major role in the upcoming 'The Marvels' movie.
    NO WONDER MAN despite having 2 'Marvel Tales' reprints and a facsimile edition (All these Marvel Tales reprints those characters would show up later in important roles).
    NO JANET VAN DYNE despite starting to get some love and attention in the upcoming 'Ant-Man & Wasp: Quantumania".

And not only that, Vision is the only new line-up that does not have its own ongoing. The rest of them have their own run. So what is the points having same faces?
    All perfectly valid reasonings.
    Personally, I'd swap...
    Captain Carol >> Monica Rambeau
    Iron Man >> War Machine
    T'Challa >> Doctor Voodoo
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Yessssssssss!!!!! This is the best news. I've been actively avoiding Aaron's run so I'm glad it's finally ending. I love this lineup and this creative team. I'd add Monica Rambeau to make it perfect though.

I’d love to see a team of Avengers that doesn’t have any solo books. Glad Vision and the Scarlet Witch are back on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Yessssssssss!!!!! This is the best news. I've been actively avoiding Aaron's run so I'm glad it's finally ending. I love this lineup and this creative team. I'd add Monica Rambeau to make it perfect though.
    Monica would have been a perfect addition and even though she is on the Thunderbolts currently she could easily pull double duty with her speed.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    I am kinda disappointed and upset with the new wave of Avengers. Remember when the Avengers book is a home for B/C-Listed Heroes who can't survive an ongoing run? Where are Wasp, Ant-Man, Wonder Man, Justice, and Mockingbird these days?

NO WONDER MAN despite having 2 'Marvel Tales' reprints and a facsimile edition (All these Marvel Tales reprints spotlight those characters would show up later in an important roles).

And not only that, Vision is the only new line-up that does not have its own ongoing. The rest of them have their own run. So what are the points of having the same faces?
    Honestly I think a-listers matter in top brand books. Marvel wants Avengers as a top tier book again so they put a lineup that they believe will bring more eyes and more importantly more dollars to the book. No disrespect to the b, c and d-listers but McKay wants big guns for this epic storyline that he is about to drop.

Actually this brings up another debate, is it the title that matters or is the characters? Because I've seen this argument in regards to books like Uncanny X-men and Justice league in addition to Avengers. People seem to think if you fill those books with b, c and d-listers that they will sell just as much as the stars. If you switched the titles between this book and Thunderbolts does anyone think that Avengers with the Thunderbolts cast would outsell Mckay's Thunderbolts with this Avengers cast. Put the DC's big seven in any book not called Justice league and see if it won't outsell any official JL book starring whoever. Same goes for Uncanny, you put a bunch of b - d mutants in there and think just because Uncanny is in the title it's gonna outsell a book starring Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, ect call x-crew or something; it's not.

In the end its all about the characters, there are tiers to characters, some have a massive fanbase and can successfully carry solo books. Others cannot and work best in a supporting or guess starring capacity. Now sometimes you get a book filled with lesser characters that last 6 - 12 issues but those eventually fails and are subsequently cancelled. Marvel determined that this was the best cast to push Mckay's Avengers to the top after the dumpster fire that was Aaron. Are there great b,c and d-listers characters in the MU, of course. But when relaunching a new era of the Avengers you do it with the big guns because they will bring the most readers.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Looks like I am back for the Avengers again. Jed McKay has proven to be one hell of a writer and can handle multiple character types from Black Cat to Kang. I do wish there were more diversity in the line-up, specifically with characters who do not have solo titles. The Avengers hasn't been about Earth's Mightiest Heroes for a while instead offering Earth's Most Popular Heroes (aka carrying solo titles.) I do have faith that McKay and Villa will make magic on the title though, even if I would have preferred other characters like Monica, Black Knight, Mockingbird etc.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    T’Challa has a solo in name only, for 8 years. In fact being in limbo would have been more preferable to what Coates and Ridley have done with T’Challa and Eve Ewing will most likely continue the horse kicking. So I don’t want to hear it. I don’t care. I’m buying this book for T’Challa (although I like every character on the roster and wouldn’t ask for substitutions) and I’m excited to see what Jed cooks up.
    This post is like a privileged first world complaint. If you don't want to hear it, then don't read the thread or posts making legitimate complaints. Eight years of ongoings and getting huge pushes, creative talent, and reboots. SMH. Most fans would kill for that for their favorite characters. Which is probably why most of us are complaining, cause we are robbed of even a seventh portion of appearances on a team book, while the characters with ongoings are hogging the opportunity for appearances ... again.

I'm going to give Jed McKay an arc, because he's a good writer and can weave gold from chaff. But if this becomes the T'challa or Cap, or Iron Man, or Thor, or Captain Marvel show, I'm out of here.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Well, Uncanny Avengers will probably have characters who don't have solo books .
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Remember what happened last time he was leader? Almost immediately after taking over when Tony went into his coma in Civil War II, half the team deserted him (first Nova and Spider-Man, then Ms. Marvel) as seen in Champions #1, meaning he had to recruit replacements. And later, when he stopped being Cap, he had a crisis of confidence, and Jane Foster did something very rare - she took her helmet off. The art avoided showing her face (we didn't see what she looked like as Thor without the helmet until the issue she died in), but she then put the helmet on Sam's head and literally knocked some sense into him. And then of course, No Surrender happened, which ended with the team splitting up. Nadia was already doing double duty having joined the Champions by that point, and another of the replacement Avengers, the older Spider-Man, had left the team before No Surrender due to Parker Industries going belly up in Secret Empire (which meant the team lost the HQ he'd provided).
    Not all of that was Sam's fault though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    This post is like a privileged first world complaint. If you don't want to hear it, then don't read the thread or posts making legitimate complaints. Eight years of ongoings and getting huge pushes, creative talent, and reboots. SMH. Most fans would kill for that for their favorite characters. Which is probably why most of us are complaining, cause we are robbed of even a seventh portion of appearances on a team book, while the characters with ongoings are hogging the opportunity for appearances ... again.

I'm going to give Jed McKay an arc, because he's a good writer and can weave gold from chaff. But if this becomes the T'challa or Cap, or Iron Man, or Thor, or Captain Marvel show, I'm out of here.
    It's a team book so ideally everybody gets a fair shake.

(But T'Challa has had an issue of not being treated/written well in his solo in the past few years).

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Honestly I think a-listers matter in top brand books. Marvel wants Avengers as a top tier book again so they put a lineup that they believe will bring more eyes and more importantly more dollars to the book. No disrespect to the b, c and d-listers but McKay wants big guns for this epic storyline that he is about to drop.

Actually this brings up another debate, is it the title that matters or is the characters? Because I've seen this argument in regards to books like Uncanny X-men and Justice league in addition to Avengers. People seem to think if you fill those books with b, c and d-listers that they will sell just as much as the stars. If you switched the titles between this book and Thunderbolts does anyone think that Avengers with the Thunderbolts cast would outsell Mckay's Thunderbolts with this Avengers cast. Put the DC's big seven in any book not called Justice league and see if it won't outsell any official JL book starring whoever. Same goes for Uncanny, you put a bunch of b - d mutants in there and think just because Uncanny is in the title it's gonna outsell a book starring Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, ect call x-crew or something; it's not.

In the end its all about the characters, there are tiers to characters, some have a massive fanbase and can successfully carry solo books. Others cannot and work best in a supporting or guess starring capacity. Now sometimes you get a book filled with lesser characters that last 6 - 12 issues but those eventually fails and are subsequently cancelled. Marvel determined that this was the best cast to push Mckay's Avengers to the top after the dumpster fire that was Aaron. Are there great b,c and d-listers characters in the MU, of course. But when relaunching a new era of the Avengers you do it with the big guns because they will bring the most readers.
    Dumpster fire Aaron's run had most of these "A-listers" -- which is part of the complaining. There's also another Avengers book (All Out Avengers) that has these 'big guns' and I don't think it is exactly burning up the charts.

If McKay wanted "A-Listers," he would have had Doctor Strange instead of Scarlet Witch (no offense to Wanda fans), and it would have Hulk and Spider-Man and Wolverine.

While there are tiers of characters by fanbase, many characters can successfully carry a solo book if given continuous editorial support. I think Avengers has it's own big fanbase. I'm not saying make the book entirely non-ongoing characters, but come on. 6 to 1?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Uncanny Avengers will probably have characters who don't have solo books .

Not all of that was Sam's fault though...

It's a team book so ideally everybody gets a fair shake.

(But T'Challa has had an issue of not being treated/written well in his solo in the past few years).
    Every fan is going to have a personal opinion about how their fav is treated, but I've seen fans complaining about that for almost all characters with solos (Spidey fans STILL complaining about OMD). The point is, he has a guaranteed monthly book, while most characters don't.

Yeah, like all the characters got a fair shake in Aaron's book. /s