Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

While I happen to love the roster I definitely understand the complaints about the majority of the lineup already having solo books. Personally I would have loved to have characters like Monica, Black Knight, Hercules etc on the team but I can understand why the company is using the characters that they have chosen. For me I fully admit that I am a life-long Avengers fan and would be reading the book no matter what but it's been a long time since I was truly excited for the series like I am now after this announcement. I absolutely believe Mackay is going to kill it with this run. I read a bunch of Marvel books but currently there's only 2 that I love with both being written by Mackay so I have no doubt this series will join Moon Knight and Strange in giving me another comic that I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Then who might it be? Let the speculation begin..
    Don't care. Black Panther has been a dumpster fire and Avengers has been the only place where you could enjoy the character. Aaron's run was bad, but he wrote a great T'Challa. I have no faith in Ewing
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    This post is like a privileged first world complaint. If you don't want to hear it, then don't read the thread or posts making legitimate complaints. Eight years of ongoings and getting huge pushes, creative talent, and reboots. SMH. Most fans would kill for that for their favorite characters. Which is probably why most of us are complaining, cause we are robbed of even a seventh portion of appearances on a team book, while the characters with ongoings are hogging the opportunity for appearances ... again.

I'm going to give Jed McKay an arc, because he's a good writer and can weave gold from chaff. But if this becomes the T'challa or Cap, or Iron Man, or Thor, or Captain Marvel show, I'm out of here.
    Lol I’ve been in the Namor thread. I know that’s a damn lie and you know it too.

Imagine for 8 years you had to read about rape caves in Atlantis
    Atlanteans subjugating the former tenants of Atlantis
    Namor being blamed for everything attuma and co did
    His people hating him
    And being stripped from the throne

And that’s just accounting for Coates run and not all of it. You would be livid and I wouldn’t wish it on any character. Aaron barely touched Namor and there were doom posting. To quote will smith "tell the truth"

Also I’m sorry for coming across privileged. It’s been 8 years and I’ll have to break out of that habit. The majority of my posts have been complaints and pessimism. I’m hoping this avengers book can give me something positive to post about.
    Last edited by Pulp Fiction; 01-21-2023 at 12:04 PM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    Lol I’ve been in the Namor thread. I know that’s a damn lie and you know it too.
    Really? If we are going to call out lies, I have to doubt that. Cause you'd have seen us discuss this very subject, given how often Namor has been written OOC, abused and used as a prop for other characters in so many guest and team appearances. Is it better to have bad appearances or be in limbo? And we constantly complain that he needs his own damn book so that crap doesn't happen. We haven't had a Namor onging since 2010.

His people hating him
    LOL! You clearly haven't actually read the Namor thread or read a Namor book. Try EIGHTY years, not eight. It's a core part of the character that he's not fully accepted by the Atlanteans, and hated by enough of them that he's been blamed and deposed several times. Namor's even blamed himself for stuff and abdicated. It's a running joke amongst Namor fans about how fickle the Atlanteans can be.

There's plenty of things the Atlanteans have done without his knowledge, that Namor has stepped in stopped -- drug dealers, weapons dealers, racial conflicts, etc. The Atlanteans aren't portrayed as perfect. Sometimes they are xenophobic, sometimes they are tolerant, sometimes they are peaceful, sometimes they are warlike, and they haven't always done the 'right' thing. It's what happens when you have decades of history written by a ton of writers. There's several stories about Namor dealing with rogue Atlanteans or trying to rein in the Atlanteans. So many non-readers don't realize that Namor is actually the restraining and calming influence amongst the Atlanteans.

And that’s just accounting for Coates run and not all of it. You would be livid and I wouldn’t wish it on any character. Aaron barely touched Namor and there were doom posting. To quote will smith "tell the truth"
    Okay, since we are throwing around truth. That is a lie. Aaron trashed Namor almost every time he used him. He did exactly, and more, what you complained about Coates doing to T'challa:

He had Namor letting Atlantean children STARVE
    He had the Atlanteans blame him for crap the Avengers did, like drop a Celestial on Atlantis (somehow)
    He had abandon him as their ruler.
    Then he had him kneeling to She-Hulk and "joining" the Avengers, where he was nothing but a punching bag for every one on the team, as well as continually jobbed -- FOR NO PLOT REASON whatsover.

I never said I wished crappy writing on any character. I said most people would love to have the opportunities that have been given to Black Panther. I would LOVE for Namor to have had an ongoing for the last eight years, with a guaranteed book in the future. I'd love to have had spin offs and Atlantis developed. I'd love to have had great artists and editorial support and variant covers for almost every issue. I'd love for Namor to have a big role in all the events and crossovers. Of course, I'd love it was all great writing, but that isn't possible. That's the realities of an ongoing, and a character being repeatedly used by a variety of writers. It happens to all characters that are used alot over time.

Also I’m sorry for coming across privileged. It’s been 8 years and I’ll have to break out of that habit. The majority of my posts have been complaints and pessimism. I’m hoping this avengers book can give me something positive to post about.
    I understand. I struggle to remain positive about Namor, and Marvel itself, and try to post more positive things then complaints in his appreciation thread, cause I DO appreciate plenty about the character. I need to work on that in the Avengers thread, when I do post there, and like you, I hope McKay's run will inspire me to do so.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-21-2023 at 01:18 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

A lot of talk about McKay, but here's the other half of the team, C.F. Villia. From his twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/cfvillaart

I think he like drawing the ladies, and has a dynamic style. Will be interesting.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Well I guess I'll be reading the Avengers for the first time in a very long while. I'm not at all familiar with Mackay's writing so that's a plus. This looks quite promising.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I hope that plenty of new villains are reintroduced. No more mephisto. No more Loki. No more Kang.. er, too late, I guess.
    Just more villain groups and not just masterminds with a bunch of generic drones and cannon fodder. Unique individual villains, including henchmen, lieutenants.

I would have loved it if Jim Rhodes were part of this and not Tony. I don't know how much time he's spent with Black Panther or Sam Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Well I guess I'll be reading the Avengers for the first time in a very long while. I'm not at all familiar with Mackay's writing so that's a plus. This looks quite promising.
    Mackay is legit one of the best writers at Marvel. His run on Moon Knight and Strange have both been fantastic.

Ultimate Member

Gonna be nice to have an Avengers writer who understands the concept and villains.

I can't think of anyone in recent memory I could say that about besides Ewing's too short run.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Damn! I thought Clint & Herc weren't on speaking terms...

Let’s be real, Marvel doesn’t even remember this exchange happened and if Clint and Herc met tomorrow they’d be friendly as ever. Just look at Carol and Wanda where she declared she wouldn’t forgive Wanda for either Avengers Disassembled or House of M yet when she showed up just before AvX and was shunned by Vision, Carol was the one who carried her away and they’ve been good friends again ever since.

His people hating him

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Okay, since we are throwing around truth. That is a lie. Aaron trashed Namor almost every time he used him. He did exactly, and more, what you complained about Coates doing to T'challa:
    He had Namor letting Atlantean children STARVE
    He had the Atlanteans blame him for crap the Avengers did, like drop a Celestial on Atlantis (somehow)
    He had abandon him as their ruler.
    Then he had him kneeling to She-Hulk and "joining" the Avengers, where he was nothing but a punching bag for every one on the team, as well as continually jobbed -- FOR NO PLOT REASON whatsover.
    My gods... Who let this stuff get printed?!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Aaron is finally gone. No more age of Moon Knight, Phoenix Anime Tourney and Mephisto.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    My gods... Who let this stuff get printed?!
    The EIC.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Let’s be real, Marvel doesn’t even remember this exchange happened and if Clint and Herc met tomorrow they’d be friendly as ever. Just look at Carol and Wanda where she declared she wouldn’t forgive Wanda for either Avengers Disassembled or House of M yet when she showed up just before AvX and was shunned by Vision, Carol was the one who carried her away and they’ve been good friends again ever since.
    To be fair, some time has passed in canon, and both have progressed as characters

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    To be fair, some time has passed in canon, and both have progressed as characters
    They never do follow ups to those types of confrontations. I really want to see Sam Wilson and John Walker sit down and talk about why John tried to get him to stop being Cap the first time.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?