Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Tim Drake: Robin #5 Preview

Tim Drake: Robin #5 Preview
    Writer: Megan Fitzmartin
    Artist: Riley Rossmo and Ricardo Lopez Ortiz

So he is in full asshole mode now, huh? First Batman and now in this book.
    Funny how he always lash out on Grayson.

The scenes are actually similar too, Dick says it's going to be Ok and Tim gets mad at him cause "how does he know its going to be ok?"
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Fantastic Member

Also, notice how Cass and Steph basically vanished from the story? Makes you wonder if they were just an extended cameo.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingStation View Post
    Also, notice how Cass and Steph basically vanished from the story? Makes you wonder if they were just an extended cameo.
    I mea notice how how dry the interactions between Tim and the Batgirls were vs his interactions with Dick

Fantastic Member

Anyone know who Pie is? Because Robin calls out his name in-between Sparrow and Bernard.

It might be that really weird guy who promised not to pee in the Marina, but I don't recall Tim really interacting with him that much, so why specify him?

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingStation View Post
    There is no one he trust more than the Batgirls to help him in a case, but not to look for his missing boyfriend.
    Also, he asked for Dick to come all the way from Bludhaven to help him just to get mad at him and give the cold shoulder.

I guess ghosting people or just ignoring them is his new MO.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    There is no one he trust more than the Batgirls to help him in a case, but not to look for his missing boyfriend.
    Also, he asked for Dick to come all the way from Bludhaven to help him just to get mad at him and give the cold shoulder.

And all they really needed to do was have Steph and Cass be the ones to check out Clayface's cell in Arkham instead of Batwoman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

I mean it pretty much shows the trust was only insofar as vigilante work given how professional and dry his interactions with them were.

Is that supposed to be "Sparrow" in the church panel?

"New costume?" Hasn't he basically been wearing that suit for a few years now? I can't tell the difference any more.

Also Dick looks weird and Tim looks like he's 14-15.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I just can not fathom how this book continues. The art is atrocious. I hate being so disparaging to an artist's work, but it is so out of place on this title. Likewise, I have not heard or read one positive remark considering how Fitzmartin is writing anyone in the title. I've bought a couple issues here and there...the Mora covers, I guess that's how it's staying alive?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I just can not fathom how this book continues. The art is atrocious. I hate being so disparaging to an artist's work, but it is so out of place on this title. Likewise, I have not heard or read one positive remark considering how Fitzmartin is writing anyone in the title. I've bought a couple issues here and there...the Mora covers, I guess that's how it's staying alive?

Somehow it was nominated for a GLAAD award.......

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    was there nothing else available for nomination? This has been a trainwreck from the time she took over writing his character.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Are there no other LGBT+ comics?

*sees Taylor's take on Jon Kent*

Well, crap. How about Marvel? Or one of the smaller companies?

Anyway, this art would be at home on someone like Lobo (weird/bad art is practically a must for his solos). But for Tim? And then Fitzmartin going full fanfiction gary stu? I pity Tim as a character now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

Anyway, this art would be at home on someone like Lobo (weird/bad art is practically a must for his solos). But for Tim? And then Fitzmartin going full fanfiction gary stu? I pity Tim as a character now.
    Which part feels like fanfiction gary stu?

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    was there nothing else available for nomination? This has been a trainwreck from the time she took over writing his character.
    I really think the nomination is due to the buzz and name brand of 'Robin' than actual quality...........like Eternals the movie was nominated and won like last year.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

The one thing I am actually liking about this book is that Fitzmartin is not writing Tim like a Gary Stu. He makes mistakes, he misses some obvious things, and he is shown going to the library to do research, he still like a lot of the family that are shown to know a lot about a topic and are able to put together clues conveniently but not to the point that he comes off like a 'know it all' super genius like he has been written a lot since the new 52.

Outside of the over-indulgent self-pity narration from Fitzmartin, I think Fitzmartin and Zdarsky's Tim is similar.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 01-21-2023 at 02:30 PM.