Astonishing Member

Default Envision an Age of Apocalypse based animated series.

Considering that Wolverine and the X-men is never going to get a second season and X-men: Nostalgia (TAS) or a new show are unlikely to explore a version of The Age of Apocalypse for longer than 1 or 2 episodes if at all, i sometimes wonder how a dedicated animated adaptation of the famed 90's storyline could be like?

Obviously directly copying the story from the comics would be near impossible, given the required previous established lore, groundwork, stories, characters and so on. Which means we are dealing in what would primarily be a "spiritual adaptation", that only needs a few "iconic" parts to be there while everything else is left to be re-imagined.

As such the most important question for it's direction would be what ever the presented world can be prevented from happening by the heros via wibbly wobbly, timey wimey action like the comic version or if the world is meant to stay after the series ends?

Because in case of the former it can potentialy be as dark and depressing as it's creators like, since it's all just there to be prevented from existing at the end. Everyone can die, the world can end in nuclear hellfire, it doesn't matter as long as the heros send someone or something back in time.

While, in case of the later it actualy requires a large dose of optimism and hope that makes the dark and depressing bearable because there is the promise of a better future. Otherwise without signs of beauty and good even in such a messed up world, not many will enjoy seeing the heros struggle.

So what would it be for you fine people?

Full plan or short bits of ideas. It's up to you.

Which of these two general direction would be better suited for a stand alone series? What would it's length be? It's animation style be? Who would get focus and who would only get cameos?

Are you aware that Age of Apocalypse is itself based on a story from an animated series? They liked the concept idea of "One Man's Worth" and made a full event out of it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Are you aware that Age of Apocalypse is itself based on a story from an animated series? They liked the concept idea of "One Man's Worth" and made a full event out of it.
    Thanks for the information and correction of my assumption. I admit TAS is a blindspot for me, since i missed watching it back in the day and didn't hear one of it's episode influenced the comics like that.

So anyone please ignore that bit of ignorance in my original post and carry on if you like.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

I always thought that the AoA storyline was a little weak because it was set during the "11th Hour" when Apocalypse's reign is about to end. I understand why this works better for an event/crossover, but I wanted more of the world and Apocalypse's rise. I wanted to see some of the stuff that was referred to but never really shown, like Gambit and the X-Ternals going around being Robin Hood in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

So, I'd like an anthology series, showing the different parts of the world and the different characters. It doesn't need to lead to Apocalypse's demise but it doesn't need to avoid that either.

Also, I would want Joel Furtado doing the animation

rRaWFlW.jpg
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Obviously directly copying the story from the comics would be near impossible, given the required previous established lore, groundwork, stories, characters and so on. Which means we are dealing in what would primarily be a "spiritual adaptation", that only needs a few "iconic" parts to be there while everything else is left to be re-imagined.
    Fun fact about that, precisely because it's a totally different AU, apart from maybe the setup (Quest for Legion), you don't need any groundwork and backstory.
    Although the best part of AUs is generally knowing the characters and observing the changes so...

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I will forever lament the loss of Wolverine & the X-Men season 2 adapting the Age of Apocalypse... that season 1 ending blew the mind of child-me and now I'm all for another animated show to blow the mind of adult-me. Future seasons of X-Men 97 could give it a go perhaps.

Come to think of it, a live-action adaptation of AoA once the X-Men are up and running in the MCU would also be epic. Nothing of quite that scale and scope has been done in the MCU yet and could be a lot of fun done over the course of at least 2 movies - it could very well be the X-Men's version of Infinity War/Endgame.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I always thought that the AoA storyline was a little weak because it was set during the "11th Hour" when Apocalypse's reign is about to end. I understand why this works better for an event/crossover, but I wanted more of the world and Apocalypse's rise. I wanted to see some of the stuff that was referred to but never really shown, like Gambit and the X-Ternals going around being Robin Hood in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

So, I'd like an anthology series, showing the different parts of the world and the different characters. It doesn't need to lead to Apocalypse's demise but it doesn't need to avoid that either.
    Makes me think of a series in 3 acts. 1st act rise of Apocalypse and the fall of the world. 2nd the world as it has become. 3rd act the fall of apocalypse and the promise of a better tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Fun fact about that, precisely because it's a totally different AU, apart from maybe the setup (Quest for Legion), you don't need any groundwork and backstory.
    Although the best part of AUs is generally knowing the characters and observing the changes so...
    That's actualy a good point. While the famous characters who everyone knows through pop culture would not need a lot of explaining on why they are so shockingly different, certain other characters aren't widely known enough that a different version would be as impactfull without comparison.

Most notably Blink who was such an interesting focus character in AOA, because the reader might have only known her for dying in the proto-Generation X storyline with the Phallanx, barely after being introduced. Hence being both a blank slate and what if at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I will forever lament the loss of Wolverine & the X-Men season 2 adapting the Age of Apocalypse... that season 1 ending blew the mind of child-me and now I'm all for another animated show to blow the mind of adult-me. Future seasons of X-Men 97 could give it a go perhaps.

(...)
    I keep wondering if they would have re-introduced Xavier's previous future allies as changed people? Like Bishop as ruthless Sheriff, Domino a pacifist who has retreated into a monasty, Polaris as queen of a prosperous Genosha which has ironicaly become the last safe haven for humans, Hellion as big egoed media star follower of Apocalypse, Firestar actualy having a large voiced role, etc.

Considering how Master Mold in season 1 was clearly styled after Danger, imagine Danger in the AOA future being actualy the last Maser Mold which "evolved" towards following Xavier's ideals of co-existence.

Something an adaptation in X-men '97 (which as was mentioned to me above would actualy be hillariously recursive) would not be able to offer because of lacking the Season 1 WATX future storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post

Also, I would want Joel Furtado doing the animation

rRaWFlW.jpg
    I really liked some of the world building that took place in X-men Chronicles during Age of Apocalypse. There were only two issues, but I remember the second one in particular because it introduced the AoA version of Wolverine. Recall that Logan went by Weapon X in this reality, so this was a different character. He was big and looked Asian if I recall. And could also charge people up with adrenaline or something. He didn't seem to have a 616 counterpart, at least not one I can ever remember seeing.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”