Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I never understood the complaint about laugh tracks until I watched this show. A character would say something, and laughter would be brought in, but what was said wasn't really funny. That is my primary complaint at the moment.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

It's odd to see Dan Fielding not chasing women every episode. LOL
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I never understood the complaint about laugh tracks until I watched this show. A character would say something, and laughter would be brought in, but what was said wasn't really funny. That is my primary complaint at the moment.
    I noticed that too when I watched last night. There was nothing funny about what they were saying but there was that laugh track roaring all through the episode.

I don't hate the show but it's not well-written or funny in any way. Where are Dan's funny comments - that were, you know, really funny???

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    It's odd to see Dan Fielding not chasing women every episode. LOL
    Given that Dan Fielding is now 75, that would be impressive if he did. But in interviews John Larroquette said that just isn't going to happen. He isn't interested in doing that kind of reprisal of his role.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I'm going to keep watching the show because I love John Larroquette. I think Abby Stone has potential and I liked how in episode three they gave her a real issue in her background.

But the other main characters are just kind of awful. They feel like stock characters without a shred of charm to them at all. Not too mention they feel just a bit too incompetent for my tastes. While the original cast's characters were at times completely batshit crazy, they all were competent (more or less) at their jobs. These three characters feel like they are going through the motions.

They've already stated that Larroquette is the only original cast member that will be appearing in Season 1 as they build their own story with their own characters. But the door would be open to possibly have Marsha Warfield and Richard Moll make an appearance. Richard Moll is 80 now I think, so they'd kind of have to hurry that up I think. With the rest of the original cast gone, any other characters from the original would have to come from the recurring cast and there aren't that many I can think of that would be much of an interest except for Bob and June Wheeler and Kwan Li (Mac's wife, assuming the actress is still alive).

But you know who would be interesting to see rejoin the cast in a recurring status? Ellen Foley. She played the defense attorney Billie Young in Season 2 and then just disappeared with no explanation. Imagine her being the actual D.A. now? She could pop up every so often if they wanted to have her come back.

Of course, if they don't improve the new characters FAST, it will all be moot because the show won't last long enough.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I'm going to keep watching the show because I love John Larroquette. I think Abby Stone has potential and I liked how in episode three they gave her a real issue in her background.

But the other main characters are just kind of awful. They feel like stock characters without a shred of charm to them at all. Not too mention they feel just a bit too incompetent for my tastes. While the original cast's characters were at times completely batshit crazy, they all were competent (more or less) at their jobs. These three characters feel like they are going through the motions.

They've already stated that Larroquette is the only original cast member that will be appearing in Season 1 as they build their own story with their own characters. But the door would be open to possibly have Marsha Warfield and Richard Moll make an appearance. Richard Moll is 80 now I think, so they'd kind of have to hurry that up I think. With the rest of the original cast gone, any other characters from the original would have to come from the recurring cast and there aren't that many I can think of that would be much of an interest except for Bob and June Wheeler and Kwan Li (Mac's wife, assuming the actress is still alive).

But you know who would be interesting to see rejoin the cast in a recurring status? Ellen Foley. She played the defense attorney Billie Young in Season 2 and then just disappeared with no explanation. Imagine her being the actual D.A. now? She could pop up every so often if they wanted to have her come back.

Of course, if they don't improve the new characters FAST, it will all be moot because the show won't last long enough.
    And whatever happened to Paula Kelley, the first defense attorney?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I expect she'll pop up as a defendant.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Originally Billie Young's character was supposed to be a love interest for Harry. But Ellen Foley didn't want to be tied to a TV series long term and I doubt at her age now she wants it. The female baloff is a nice one who is kinda insane at times. The show needs a 6th character to really bring another aspect.

My thinking is the Russian handy man from the 1st , 2 episodes or...a new young handy man who works in the court room and building fixing crap all the time.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Technically, she wasn't the first. Actress Gail Strickland was in the pilot episode as the defense attorney. However, I believe both actresses have died.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Originally Billie Young's character was supposed to be a love interest for Harry. But Ellen Foley didn't want to be tied to a TV series long term and I doubt at her age now she wants it. The female baloff is a nice one who is kinda insane at times. The show needs a 6th character to really bring another aspect.
    I didn't say she would be a regular. Just that they could have her pop in once in a while. Thus, she wouldn't be tied to any long term situation.

My thinking is the Russian handy man from the 1st , 2 episodes or...a new young handy man who works in the court room and building fixing crap all the time.
    Dear gawd NO!

extra post.

I was only able to watch part of the first episode, but is Abby supposed to be Harry and Christine's daughter? Because Dan and everyone just talk about her being Harry's daughter, which seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I was only able to watch part of the first episode, but is Abby supposed to be Harry and Christine's daughter? Because Dan and everyone just talk about her being Harry's daughter, which seems odd.
    They have not said who Abby's mom is. However, I doubt it would be Christine or else it would've been remarked upon already.

I'm wondering who it might be though. And if Harry ever found that woman who was impressed that he owned every album Mel Torme ever did. After all, he did say that he would marry that woman.

They have not said who Abby's mom is. However, I doubt it would be Christine or else it would've been remarked upon already.

I'm wondering who it might be though. And if Harry ever found that woman who was impressed that he owned every album Mel Torme ever did. After all, he did say that he would marry that woman.
    Apparently they’ve cast Abby’s mom, but I forget who’s playing her.

BANNED

Technically, she wasn't the first. Actress Gail Strickland was in the pilot episode as the defense attorney. However, I believe both actresses have died.
    Paula Kelley passed away sadly, but Gail Strickland is still alive. Of course, there's always Teri Hatcher. She was a guest star in the original show as well.