Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    "See those guys over there? They literally murdered me and my family. You bring them back but apparently my sister and my parents aren't mutant enough for you to bother with. Screw you and screw your new nation. I hope somebody cuts the grass the wrong way and your island decides to eat you in your sleep."
    This should LITERALLY have been the Morlocks when Sinister was allowed on the island. And frankly the entire New X-Men generation should have told Xavier where to shove it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    "See those guys over there? They literally murdered me and my family. You bring them back but apparently my sister and my parents aren't mutant enough for you to bother with. Screw you and screw your new nation. I hope somebody cuts the grass the wrong way and your island decides to eat you in your sleep."
    Something like that...or a mutant whose human family members were killed in an attack by Apocalypse, the MLF, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This should LITERALLY have been the Morlocks when Sinister was allowed on the island. And frankly the entire New X-Men generation should have told Xavier where to shove it.
    Or any of the Marauders...but that is how Scalphunter was introduced in Hellions.

------------------------

Another thing is that mutants seem to suffer no consequence when using their powers on other mutants in malicious ways. Empath seems to be pretty much ignored when he abuses others with his powers...I would like to see what would happen if someone with energy powers retaliated against Empath in kind by burning his limbs to stumps.

Xavier when the mutant is brought in front of the Quiet Council: "Why did you do such a horrific thing to Empath?"
    Mutant in question" "There is no law against it...and he goes around abusing people all the time with no repercussions. I see no difference between what he does and what I did."
    Last edited by Chris0013; 01-24-2023 at 08:32 AM.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Something like that...or a mutant whose human family members were killed in an attack by Apocalypse, the MLF, etc..
    In Way of X, it was kinda adressed with Lost whose family wa murdered by Cortez. But Kurt convinced her that the little rat was really sorry and that she could tolerate his existence, if not forgiving him.

I wish there was a story with Ricochet while Nanny was still on Krakoa. She killed his mother.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

I would imagine that some mutants wouldn’t *want* to die to have their limbs regrown. Really with healers like Elixir and Triage around it shouldn’t be necessary in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I would imagine that some mutants wouldn’t *want* to die to have their limbs regrown. Really with healers like Elixir and Triage around it shouldn’t be necessary in the first place.
    Truly.
    Elixir can CREATE A NEW HEART for Prodigy, after its been ripped out his chest by a cranky Belasco, but he can't whip up some patty cakes for Hellion?

SUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Truly.
    Elixir can CREATE A NEW HEART for Prodigy, after its been ripped out his chest by a cranky Belasco, but he can't whip up some patty cakes for Hellion?

SUS.
    Elixir is too busy reviving the dead all day, probably. It's easier to give people limbs while he's already recreating the rest of their body. That, or Josh stil hates Julian, since Julian bullied him in New Mutants.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Elixir is too busy reviving the dead all day, probably. It's easier to give people limbs while he's already recreating the rest of their body. That, or Josh stil hates Julian, since Julian bullied him in New Mutants.
    Honestly, despite my adoration for Jules, I'm fully in favor of mutant-pettiness.

That feels very real -- even in the age of Krakoa, where redemptions & second chances are blossoming left and right -- I find mutants withholding their gifts because of grudges hilarious.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    That's a gross oversimplification. Julian and Josh originally got along quite well because both had the same sort of privileged upbringing and attitude. It was only after learning Josh had been a Purifier before his powers manifested that Julian turned on him.

TBH, a lot of people forget that Josh might have been an even bigger ass than Julian originally (like the whole thing of knowingly stringing along both Laurie AND Rahne).

It would be kind of interesting to see the Council call up Elixer, Triage, the Morlock Healer, maybe even Masque, and anybody else that has healing powers and telling them, okay. You guys now have a nine to five job. You're Krakoa's medical branch now.

That's a gross oversimplification. Julian and Josh originally got along quite well because both had the same sort of privileged upbringing and attitude. It was only after learning Josh had been a Purifier before his powers manifested that Julian turned on him.

TBH, a lot of people forget that Josh might have been an even bigger ass than Julian originally (like the whole thing of knowingly stringing along both Laurie AND Rahne).
    Romance nonsense aside, Josh was a REAVER before realizing he was a mutant. I feel like that's a bigger issue hahaha.

But it is because of Sinister and his database of mutant DNA that the whole resurrection thing was possible to begin with, so...

Astonishing Member

Can we discuss Josh's character flaws without citing the gross storyline about 'let's have the recently disowned teenager who doesn't really believe anyone wants him be in a relationship with an established X-character who's not only a staff member, but with cemented ties throughout the X-community regardless of whether or not she's only three years older than him (questionable) or its more than that?'

Like I'd rather that storyline just never happened, and I'm not remotely interested in vilifying Rahne for it or making her out to be the bad guy in a plot I don't honestly see as in character for her, but I REALLY don't think the recently disowned teen student needs to be vilified or pointed at as the one holding the power dynamic in his teacher/student relationship.

Don't get me wrong, because I loved Academy X for the most part, but the overall treatment of the characters in the years since Academy X has IMO led to a lot of fans glossing over some of its problems. D&W are great writers but they were not above reproach and some of their storylines were just....not good, IMO, either in concept or execution. Like let's not forget that they wanted to do a 'Victor kills himself after being bullied for being gay and this leads Julian to realize his impact and become a better person, meanwhile, the actual gay kid's still dead but hey at least the jock got personal growth' storyline and it was editors who said umm no, we're not gonna do that. Not to mention the whole thing with Surge and Sooraya was terribly handled, IMO.

Hell, as Fokken pointed out, Josh was a literal member of a violent hate group, but it was treated like the universe gave this character a gotcha moment, with very little exploration of 'maybe waking up to realize you're part of that group isn't a get out of jail free card for being a member in the first place.'

Like just saying sometimes when it comes to comics, the answer to an 'AITA' thread isn't 'every character in this story sucks' its 'this story needed more notes before it went to print.'
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 01-24-2023 at 08:07 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Honestly, despite my adoration for Jules, I'm fully in favor of mutant-pettiness.

That feels very real -- even in the age of Krakoa, where redemptions & second chances are blossoming left and right -- I find mutants withholding their gifts because of grudges hilarious.
    There is a story to be told there.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Romance nonsense aside, Josh was a REAVER before realizing he was a mutant. I feel like that's a bigger issue hahaha.
    Crap, my bad. There's too damn many anti-mutant supremacist groups in Marvel these days (AND it's been a good couple years since I read any of the DF&W books). I swear there ought to be a Judean People's Front vs. People's Front Of Judea thing with all these groups butting heads on how to best suppress mutant rights. Regardless, my point stands: A lot of readers forget that Josh was NOT a nice person at all when he first appeared.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    But it is because of Sinister and his database of mutant DNA that the whole resurrection thing was possible to begin with, so...
    Which is an Idiot Plot because quite a few people have pointed out that the X-Men had a LOT more options to make it work than working with someone that LITERALLY EVERYBODY IN THE X-MEN knew couldn't be trusted as far as you could kick him.