Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Justice Society of America #2 Review/Discussion

Yes! The second issue is here as we go along our crazy time travel adventure with Helena Wayne of the future going to the past of the 1940s and to today meeting the JSA and along the way learning forgotten secrets of the universe…or at the very least just new retcon stuff Geoff Johns thinks would be cool.

As our journey takes us to the 1940’s era JSA we get some teases of stuff Johns is setting up in this run that I have no doubt he will return to even if it takes a while. Stuff like the Legionnaire, Judy Garrick, Salem the witch girl, Justice Society Dark and a few of its members, and the Bride of Solomon Grundy. It’s a lot of mystery that Johns is trying to tease as he tell this Degaton story.

Speaking of we also get to see more of the aftermath of Catwoman saving Helena from Degaton and a look into Helena’s own past and how no one would believe her about him. Actually kind of sad because Future Selina realizes what monster has actually been hounding her daughter.

Admittedly though this issue feels a little fast because just as soon as we deal with all the teases and the past this issue jumps immediately to what people have probably been waiting for. Helena winds up in present day and meets a young Khalid Nassour and the Justice…League Dark? What’s with all the dark teams, am I right?

No seriously she wakes up and there Detective Chimp and Dead Man with a younger Khalid then Helena is used to which should lead to some fun moments.

Overall it’s a good second issue, though a little quick moving if I’m honest, but definitely glad just to have more JSA to read.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The time jumps are easier to keep track off compared to the first. They confirm what we suspected as theories.

I liked the focus on Salem Girl and I'm still curious as to why she turns against Khalid.

I wonder if this take on Mister Miracle ties in with the recent Shilo Norman miniseries? I believe Thaddeus was his maternal grandfather?

Extraordinary Member

I haven't read it - so I probably shouldn't judge - but it sounds like the issue leaves something to be desired.

Namely, the Justice Society of America.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I haven't read it - so I probably shouldn't judge - but it sounds like the issue leaves something to be desired.

Namely, the Justice Society of America.
    Admittedly more focus is on Dr. Fate and Helena this issue
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm still on board for the ride.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

For a JSA book with the team on the cover this seems to be a book more about Johns retconning JSA history, throwing in more OC's, and focusing on Helena Wayne.

And she doesn't even have that great a costume.

Astonishing Member

It was a decent issue but not quiet as strong as the previous one. It went by way too quickly, and not necessarily in a good way. Not a lot really happened in it (or at least that's the feeling I got) though we're seeded a few more elements of the central 'mystery' (though so far the mystery mostly seems to be that Degaton is traveling through time killing incarnations of the JSA).

I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to spent more time with the original JSA (I think we spent more time last issue with the JSA from Helena's future). Right now, this still doesn't feel like a JSA story...rather it feels like a Huntress story that tangentially involves the JSA (as a concept, not even any specific iteration of the team).

Selina's death, and her being buried with Bruce, was heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. Perhaps the most impactful moment for me this issue.

Now Johns does give us some more points on his timeline, and its really not encouraging stuff. He's doubled down on the '13 years' thing, with a line of dialogue straight from Year One which makes it almost impossible to ignore that he really intends Selina to have first become Catwoman 13 years ago (and by extension, Bruce to have become Batman). Also, Zero Hour is said to be set 8 years ago i.e. about 5 years into Batman and Catwoman's careers. I dunno if he's thought this through, or if he's just throwing numbers at the wall

Ultimate Member

Wonder if Johns is gonna explain why Helena adopted the persona of Huntress instead of being a Bat.

Well, besides the reason we all know.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The time jumps are easier to keep track off compared to the first. They confirm what we suspected as theories.

I liked the focus on Salem Girl and I'm still curious as to why she turns against Khalid.

I wonder if this take on Mister Miracle ties in with the recent Shilo Norman miniseries? I believe Thaddeus was his maternal grandfather?
    Salem is probably annoyed that she didn't become Dr. Fate. Assuming Stargirl ends with everyone going back to their time, she will have been Nelson's apprentice for decades and got passed over for a novice.

Extraordinary Member

They have a dart board, don't they, that they throw darts at for simple, one sentence story ideas like "bad guy travels through time to kill different incarnations of _____ (select hero(es) of your book)"?

I think they hit that one before...

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Wonder if Johns is gonna explain why Helena adopted the persona of Huntress instead of being a Bat.

Well, besides the reason we all know.
    Maybe she's trained by Helena Bertillini?

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Salem is probably annoyed that she didn't become Dr. Fate. Assuming Stargirl ends with everyone going back to their time, she will have been Nelson's apprentice for decades and got passed over for a novice.
    Ok that's cool.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I assumed thats the reason, she wanted the helmet of Fate for whatever reason (either to become Fate and/or fix her bad luck curse) but Fate didn't want to subject her to that so he ended up choosing other successors causing a conflict between his proteges.

Reading the issue, the delay did not help since its still in set-up mode. Hoping next issues slow down on the time-jumps so we can give more focus on the rest of the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For a JSA book with the team on the cover this seems to be a book more about Johns retconning JSA history, throwing in more OC's, and focusing on Helena Wayne.

He’s just using the JSA to stroke his newfound obsession with leaving a mark on the Bat Mythos. Stargirl and JSA running side by side is such a perfect showcase of Johns at his best and worst.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

So Zero Hour happened 8 years ago.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Yeah, Johns is beyond stale at this point.