Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think it wasn't directly stated, but Tomasi gave enough for fans to believe it if they wanted to.
    It was in one of the #0 issues — the one that gave Damian's New 52 backstory.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Isn’t Rip Hunter supposed to be screwing with Batman & family’s timeline on top of what Degaton is doing?
    Do you mean the statement Corky Baxter made in Flashpoint Beyond?
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Accusations of misogyny and, I think, racism, were leveled at him during the filming of Justice League. To the extent that anyone is ever cleared off such charges, the was; but there are some who still hold a grudge.
    I thought most of that was just the Ray Fisher stuff, some of which seemed to be pretty dubious. I have no doubt that Joss Whedon was an awful person to deal with, but some of his other claims seemed questionable.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I thought most of that was just the Ray Fisher stuff, some of which seemed to be pretty dubious. I have no doubt that Joss Whedon was an awful person to deal with, but some of his other claims seemed questionable.
    Honestly, it doesn't take much to be accused of racism or misogyny these days. And even less to be accused of transphobia. So I wouldn't worry too much about it!

In the specific case of Johns, one of the 'accusations' I believe came from Rene Jean-Page who was miffed that he wasn't picked as Superman's grandfather for the SyFy Krypton series because he wasn't white. Back in Summer 2020, no one had the guts to tell him that obviously a mixed-race man wouldn't be the first pick to play the grandfather of a white character (or at any rate, an alien character who's identical to a white male ).

Krypton didn't have normal babies, they were engineered. Zod's grandfather could have looked like whatever they wanted.

Fantastic Member

And it was Superman’s grandfather. He could have been black just have a white grandmother (which she was) and have Jor-el be lightskinned and Lara be white and Superman could be white no problem.

I'm starting to wonder if this should just be an Earth-2 Huntress mini-series...

We're only two issues in. And Helena has been interacting with the JSA: her own JSA in the first issue, and the original JSA in the second issue. If the preview cover for #3 is any indication, she'll be meeting the current JSA next issue (the cover features, clockwise from noon, Courtney Whitmore, Jakeem Thunder, Yolanda Montez, Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, Helena Wayne, and Beth Chapel). Heck, most of this issue focused on the 1940 Doctor Fate. So no, it's not a Huntress miniseries; Huntress is merely the viewpoint character being used to give us an overview of the New Golden Age history of the JSA.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Krypton didn't have normal babies, they were engineered. Zod's grandfather could have looked like whatever they wanted.
    I think anything can be done in a superhero universe but just because Johns did not agree doesn't make him racist. As Bat39 said, it doesn't take much to be called racist these days.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Do you mean the statement Corky Baxter made in Flashpoint Beyond?
    Corky is in Stargirl: The Lost Children as well.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I think anything can be done in a superhero universe but just because Johns did not agree doesn't make him racist. As Bat39 said, it doesn't take much to be called racist these days.
    Sure, I'm just saying that skin color was irrelevant

Astonishing Member

The silver and bronze age and the age before zero hour are all very compressed then.

Another thing is some events may be re arranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Corky is in Stargirl: The Lost Children as well.
    Yes, he is. But his comment about messing with the Wayne family was made in Flashpoint Beyond.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    What? I have no love for Johns' writing, but why should he be blacklisted exactly?
    Twitter culture warriors think he's a fascist because of the Justice League movie and some other vague reasons relating to his writings on stuff like Stargirl, JSA, GL, Flash and Doomsday Clock.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Twitter culture warriors think he's a fascist because of the Justice League movie and some other vague reasons relating to his writings on stuff like Stargirl, JSA, GL, Flash and Doomsday Clock.
    I definitely think Johns' work has a lot of barely disguised military and cop propaganda and a variety of stereotypes, but he seems more racially ignorant than actually maliciously racist. And I remember Fisher ranting about someone being racist for lightening a black actor's skin color but it ended up being a digital correction due to the lighting in the scene, so his claims seemed less credible the more it went on.

Don't get me wrong. If Johns is actually a racist, that's reprehensible. But it more just seemed like Johns was just kind of insensitive and Fisher blew it out of proportion.