Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Looking at Tom Raney's art... not a fan.

Edwin Galmon's artwork on the cover is perfect, so it will be disappointing not seeing him draw the actual book.

Love the tracksuit it adds a lot to the idea of Cyborg by having him dress like a human being. Glad to see Doom Patrol bared some positive changes for Vic.

Excited about some fresh blood when it comes to writers. I am rooting for Morgan Hampton.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

I miss classic Cyborg. :/ The Dawn of DC look isn't bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Hopefully this writer doesn't rehash the tired man vs machine narrative.
    https://blacknerdproblems.com/i-want...-john-stewart/
    This is one I can talk about forever. Cyborg has the potential to be one of DC’s most important characters, and I won’t shut up about it until it happens. This is part rant, part manifestation.

After a horrific accident left most of his body obliterated, Victor Stone was grafted to an alien alloy that was able to not only keep him alive, but rebuild his body, and grant him superhuman abilities.

Cyborg has been given a lot of runway in the past decade or so, so I don’t want to sound ungrateful. But I want us to push farther. Cyborg is presently seen as the guy who can boom tube anyone anywhere, as well as being in a never-ending conversation about whether he’s more man than machine. I want better for my bro.

Cyborg is a Black man from Detroit. I want to see what that looks like in the 21st century. How he grapples with being a Black man that survived his traumatic experience and what that does to him internally.

This is the age of the internet, and technological advances are being made every day. Cyborg can and should be at the forefront of that. He’s from the city of industry, and he’s a physical manifestation of that. I know they call Superman the “Man of Tomorrow,” but I really think it’s Cyborg. Superman isn’t even from here.
    Don’t think you have to worry about the writing. Raney’s art however is a weak spot. Especially with how appealing the cover is, I think DC has fucked up by not getting an artist of a similar style.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://blacknerdproblems.com/i-want...-john-stewart/

Don’t think you have to worry about the writing. Raney’s art however is a weak spot. Especially with how appealing the cover is, I think DC has fucked up by not getting an artist of a similar style.
    It's easy to say that..

We shouldn't have had to worry about writing when David Walker had Cyborg. John Sempter Jr had Cyborg. Coates had T'Challa. Bendis has Young Justice and Legion. John Ridley had T'Challa. John Rosum had Static. Dwayane McDuffie had Justice League. Johns had Cyborg.

How did those work out?

In many of those cases it was NOT the writer that was the issue but editorial causing the messes.

Everybody on this messageboard and elsewhere are tired of Cyborg man versus machine stories or being the one getting ripped apart or hacked into.

The question is-is DC finally tired of it? That will be the real test.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    I am not sure about that though currently i slightly clean against clothes on tech body...... Except with using holograms which Cyborg SHOULD be able to so. It nonsensical for anyone with should advanced tech in his body to wear real physical clothes when they have the ability to holographically create clothes and skin to appear "normal".
    Cyborg always use to wear clothes. Even his original look had clothes, but subsequent looks after that often removed them for metal

It makes more sense for him clothes. Especially psychologically. If DC is finally getting away from him just being a head on a robot body.
    Last edited by Jabare; 01-27-2023 at 07:22 AM.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Cyborg always use to wear clothes. Even his original look had clothes, but subsequent looks after that often removed them for metal

It makes more sense for him clothes. Especially psychologically. If DC is finally getting away from him just being a head on a robot body.
    Yeah, pretty sure he had outfits like this back in the old days too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    hmmm went rummaging around to find pics of his civilian attire in the old comics.... found this:
    21-RCO009_1469458480C.jpg
    almost looks normal.... almost....

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The question is-is DC finally tired of it? That will be the real test.
    Indeed.

DC has burned us before when it comes to Vic and we have every right to be skeptical. We *should* be skeptical, considering previous attempts looked like they'd work only for editorial or somebody to screw it over.

But I will say this. The people in charge weren't there for DC's other sabotage attempts, and the current crew have done right by other Titans like Dick and Wally and are about to try another NTT reunion where they're finally the top team. I have my doubts about how well that last bit is gonna go over but it's still a far cry better than being the League's cleaning crew or fawning lap dogs. DC is actually putting effort into these characters now, the odds of them doing right by Vic have never been higher. Might still be a crap title, we'll know when we read it, but judging only on what DC has done since Didio left? I can't say we'd be wrong to be just a little bit optimistic for a change. I'm certainly hopeful that we'll finally get the Cyborg we want.

The new writer seems to be saying all the right things, and he's some much needed fresh blood. The premise sounds solid enough. I liked Raney's art on Outsiders, and even if he's not your cup of tea there's certainly far worse out there. The new costume is way better than what we have right now, and I like it more than anything we've seen since the Reis design.

I feel like right now, we don't have a ton to complain about. Hopefully the new writer is up to the challenge and DC actually lets it happen, but we won't really know that until the issues start to drop.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The DC power writer was the new writer on the Cyborg solo series correct? Just being sure.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I liked the short story in DC power and I'm optimistic about the new solo.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    The DC power writer was the new writer on the Cyborg solo series correct? Just being sure.
    Correct. I liked it.

Incredible Member

A new Cyborg solo book.

*deep sigh*

Fine.

I'll play this game again because i want success for the character but dear God please have the writer do away with the face plate.

At the very least show that he CAN do away with the face plate like David Walker did.

Once again my money is DC's to lose. Hopefully editorial makes the right decisions this time and don't actually LOSE IT.
    Last edited by Customizer; 02-01-2023 at 08:28 PM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    A new Cyborg solo book.

*deep sigh*

Fine.

I'll play this game again because i want success for the character but dear God please have the writer do away with the face plate.

At the very least show that he CAN do away with the face plate like David Walker did.

Once again my money is DC's to lose. Hopefully editorial makes the right decisions this time and don't actually LOSE IT.
    THANK YOU....!! I've been reading comics for 30 yrs and I truly detest the fact that one of the heroes that should represent cutting-edge in alien technology and human physiology merged into something greater continues to be drawn as a human toaster-man. Can D.C. let the man of technology do what ALL technology does and like, ya know...evolve? D.C. honchos are too deluded to see that Walker while not the best writer, was at least spot on in where he was taking Victor.

Unfortunately faceplate is "iconic" and it is likely to stay regardless of how little sense it makes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Unfortunately faceplate is "iconic" and it is likely to stay regardless of how little sense it makes.
    Funny it's iconic for Cyborg.

Meanwhile everyone else is allowed to change looks beyond their iconic looks.

How many costume changes has Batman gone through???

Enough to have a ton of variant figures.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Funny it's iconic for Cyborg.

Meanwhile everyone else is allowed to change looks beyond their iconic looks.

How many costume changes has Batman gone through???

Enough to have a ton of variant figures.
    Batman changes costumes but never loses the cowl. Same with Superman's cape. For better or worse, that's clearly how they see the faceplate, as being part of Victor's signature look.