Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I still believe Victor has the morphing ability from his DCyou run and just changes up his style whenever he feels like it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/02/01/p...e-21st-century

There's a new interview on DC's official site about Cyborg. It's a nice read but the fact that they mention the character's history and there's not even a single line of him being in the Justice League for a decade is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I still believe Victor has the morphing ability from his DCyou run and just changes up his style whenever he feels like it.
    That's the ideal angle. The man or machine angle is fine but it works better for Robotman than Vic. The mother box aspects adds new layers to him and sadly DC's take is stuck in the past. But going into cyberspace would be a way to put Vic in the 21st century.

I don't mind him in the Justice League but he needs a more interesting hook than being the kid appeal character for the big 7. Doom Patrol was a better fit for him than the JL.

How was Oddysey in terms of how it treated Vic?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-02-2023 at 12:51 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

There's a new interview on DC's official site about Cyborg. It's a nice read but the fact that they mention the character's history and there's not even a single line of him being in the Justice League for a decade is laughable.
    That should be telling about how that decade failed Cyborg. Flagship title and you are the after thought. Last to get a solo that was ruined by the same person who derailed Static in New 52.

Being a flagship title is not enough. You have to do something in it. Because being a in flagship title means you are being seen by a larger audience.

That is why Tom King failed Duke in his Batman run.
    Same with Storm in the 2000 era of X-Men.
    Same with Duke in Outsiders
    Same with Sunfire in X-Men
    Same with Black Panther the last 8 years in his book.

Then when Cyborg gets a book-folks WONDER why it doesn't sell (aside from the editor who ran David Walker off). The flagship title gave them nothing to build on (aside from that Mother Box).

Cyborg and Exxy traveling the universe with that Mother Box would have been fun.

...And you try to fix that by purposely ignoring that he was a Leaguer just like how when he was a Leaguer they purposely ignored that he was a Titan? You'd think they wouldn't make the same mistake twice, especially with different management now. Guess not.

y'all tricked me into thinking Victor got a dope new redesign
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

...And you try to fix that by purposely ignoring that he was a Leaguer just like how when he was a Leaguer they purposely ignored that he was a Titan? You'd think they wouldn't make the same mistake twice, especially with different management now. Guess not.
    New management doesn't make a difference if they don't review stuff or have a real set plan beyond doing bare minimum.

You would need a set of Al Ewings working at DC who would have zero issue making everything connect.

I think most would rather see the book focus on Cyborg and his world than worrying about JLA and TT.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think most would rather see the book focus on Cyborg and his world than worrying about JLA and TT.
    And that would make sense if they didn't ignore an important part of the character's history. The more things change.

It's a good interview. Thanks for sharing. He's around the same age as me so I should check out that Milestone program.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Unfortunately faceplate is "iconic" and it is likely to stay regardless of how little sense it makes.
    Wait we're talking about the half-robot metal plate he has on his face?

Isn't that one of his most distinguishing visual features?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Funny it's iconic for Cyborg.

Meanwhile everyone else is allowed to change looks beyond their iconic looks.

How many costume changes has Batman gone through???

Enough to have a ton of variant figures.
    Be careful, you blow D.C. editorial minds with such talk about being innovative with a character that should be the very definition of the word! That faceplate doubles as a source of comfort for creative ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    It's a tradition.

Yup. Which is why it needs to remain in play. Not gonna sell any comics when nobody knows who's on the cover, and until a different design element is driven into the brains of the general public as deeply as the face plate is, it's Vic's most marketable visual. Before it goes, something else has to take its place or Vic's profile will be damaged.

But that doesn't mean it has to be handled the way it has been, either. We have real holograms now, androids that look human, and tech so slick it's more aerodynamic than a plane and smaller than the checkbook my phone made obsolete. There's no reason Vic can't disguise his injuries at will. And there's no reason he'd hide them 24/7 either, if he's embraced what/who he is and is no longer ashamed of his prosthetics. Vic can look normal when he wants a quiet, chill moment where he's not easily recognized as a hero/Titan/Leaguer or just wants to blend in. And when he doesn't, when he's just being himself, he lets the chrome shine, no shame. It's win/win; Vic continues to be recognizable but it's no longer a barrier, it's just his version of pointy ears. And it forces him to move past the "man or machine" drama, since keeping that marketable visual requires he not be bothered by it enough to hide it anymore.

And for the love of the gods, the tech needs to look like it didn't stumble out of the 80's. Doesn't have to be so pronounced, certainly not so bulky or so crude. It should be sleek, elegant.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

THE most distinguishing feature
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    y'all tricked me into thinking Victor got a dope new redesign
    It's a lot better than bs they've been sticking him with post Reis design. His JLO promo look was cool too, everything else has been garbage to me.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I really enjoyed the short story in DC power. I loved the parallels with the kid using hearing aids. Plus Vic’s relationship with his mother.
    I’m very optimistic the new series will be good now.