Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast
    Incredible Member

https://www.cbr.com/dcu-cyborg-teen-titans/

*blink..... blink*

*pinches bridge of nose*
    Don't complain. Create.

Amazing Member

id like to see them go with what phil jimenez had planned for a titans book is victor stone and donna troy becoming a couple. give the man a sexy long term love interest for goodness sake.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kefkaroth View Post
    id like to see them go with what phil jimenez had planned for a titans book is victor stone and donna troy becoming a couple. give the man a sexy long term love interest for goodness sake.
    What would you consider a higher priority for the character personally - 1) an updated rogues gallery or 2) an established long term love interest?
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    What would you consider a higher priority for the character personally - 1) an updated rogues gallery or 2) an established long term love interest?
    i'd go with 2

Ultimate Member

an updated rogues gallery

He needs that more than proving he's not asexual.

Because what happens is like we saw with Supergirl TWICE-love interests get written out of books way too quick.

In the last two Supergirl series was starting to have feeling for not one but two black guys.

New 52 had one in a wheelchair.

Rebirth had one that somehow got hit on by Natasha in Titans. Yet Bendis shows up and he's gone along with Kara's family and Ally McBeal like boss.

And lets not forget what we saw in Wakanda with T'Challa. How many times has the X-Office thrown shade at him over Storm. Do we really need the Wonder Woman office doing the same?

both.
    But really go with all new villains. Some are technology based, but not necessarily cyborgs. Some are super-human/metas, and a few may be magic based, which I presume is an unofficial weakness for Cyborg.

as for the love interest, might as well go for it, with different women. I'm wondering if any writers would make any of the women disabled/differently-abled in some capacity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    He needs that more than proving he's not asexual.
    He'd be better off, IMO, with some *short-term* love interests. He can have some 'proof that he's not asexual/a eunuch' without the baggage of some other characters editors messing with him to get him away from their woobie.

And yes, some actual rogues of his own. Perhaps one or two tied to his original run. Gizmo is now working with Intergang (purely a marriage of convenience, each side thinks it's 'using' the other), with the desire to crack Vic open like a lobster and get at the juicy tech within him. Extra-dimensional-snot-monster-that-et-mom is back from the sewers, after eating a bunch of rats and some homeless people, with a major mad-on for the people who ripped it half mid-meal and stranded it here. Worse, extra-dimensional-snot-monster-in-the-other-dimension *also* wants to reunite with it's ripped-off component, and has finally found a way to cross dimensions and recover it's missing half! (Oh, and time flows differently in snot-monster-dimension. It *was* a mindless hungry beast when it first encountered Victor, oh those years ago. But it's had a million years of evolution since then, in it's dimension, and it didn't just 'find a way to cross dimensions,' it ****ing built a dimensional portal, because it's now a rocket scientist who finds Earth science 'quaint!')

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think the H.I.V.E Queen could be a good villain for his rogue gallery she called herself Brainiac's daughter and Braninac sees Cyborg as the pinnacle of scientific achievement maybe she sees him that way as well.

Gizmo, Jinx, Mammoth, and Billy Numerous could serve as excellent villains individually for Cyborg. Make Gizmo not just smart but also creative with his inventions that could surprise Cyborg, Mammoth should be revamped as a Hunter who uses his keen senses and primitive tools to track and hunt his prey with Vic being seen as his complete opposite who uses his tech for both fighting and tracking, Billy Numerous could make it hard for him when it comes to tracking him down because of his self-duplication powers and I would have Jinx be an agent of chaos as well as giving her bad luck power.

Incredible Member

Personally i'd like to see an updated rogues gallery that challenges Cyborg physically and not just technologically. I'm on the opinion that due to Cyborg being a tech themed hero that often his villains are designed to showcase his tech based abilities. That's fine and there is definitely a place for that but this is still the "capes" genre and i'd like to see a new formidable rogue force Victor to utilize his *laser cannon arm* , body armor, *ability to fly* , etc. .

A love interest is less important to me after Morgan Hampton once again confirmed that he does indeed have the "tool for the job" (or at the absolute very least the ability to create one which is the same thing). I wouldn't mind seeing a love interest though.
    Last edited by Customizer; 11-27-2023 at 02:21 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    I think the H.I.V.E Queen could be a good villain for his rogue gallery she called herself Brainiac's daughter and Braninac sees Cyborg as the pinnacle of scientific achievement maybe she sees him that way as well.
    The Hive Queen seemed kind of like a non-entity, from what I recall. Some pretty young lady who sat in a chair at the end of the Judas Contract story and then sort of faded away as the big climax was all about Slade and Tara.

Having the Hive Queen actually be either an emissary of, or actually be, the Zazyl Queen Bee could be interesting. Sort of turn this earth criminal organization into an alien foothold on Earth.

Gizmo, Jinx, Mammoth, and Billy Numerous could serve as excellent villains individually for Cyborg. Make Gizmo not just smart but also creative with his inventions that could surprise Cyborg, Mammoth should be revamped as a Hunter who uses his keen senses and primitive tools to track and hunt his prey with Vic being seen as his complete opposite who uses his tech for both fighting and tracking, Billy Numerous could make it hard for him when it comes to tracking him down because of his self-duplication powers and I would have Jinx be an agent of chaos as well as giving her bad luck power.
    Jinx is interesting because she's all supernatural (at least comic book Jinx, whose a very different character than Teen Titans Go Jinx, with luck powers, heightened agility and... hair.), and it would be neat to have Cyborg up against a less tech based enemy. All too often, IMO, mages fight mages, tech guys fight tech guys and street level dudes with gimmicks fight street level dudes with gimmicks and Superman fights clones of Superman like Zod, Bizarro or Ultraman, so it's neat to mix it up.

On the subject of what kind of new character would be good for Cyborg, I would say a new major villain could be good for him.

Everyone loves a good archnemesis, and Cy having a badass rivalry with a cool looking villain is something that helps any hero. If the villain gains popularity and a higher profile, then Cyborg would be benefitting from that.

Incredible Member

I finally had an opportunity to read the latest issue of Cyborg and i must say ....

I *SEE YOU* Morgan Hampton.

I don't want to spoil the issue (or series) for those that haven't had a chance to read it yet but it's clear that Hampton not only did his homework on the character but also the Cyborg fan community. I not only respect that but also *very* much appreciate it as someone that is paying for the Cyborg comic product and wants to see the character thrive. The ending of this latest issue confirms that he is aware of at least some of the problems with the character that fans have mentioned and placed a mirror in front of those issues via a new nemesis. Hampton even voiced a perspective (through an unexpected source) that many of us have shared - that Cyborgs accident gave him abilities that upgraded his life and didn't "disable" him. I'd even go so far as to say that, via the contrast with the nemesis, the reader is shown even more of what Victor Stone should be grateful for.

I can't help but contrast what Hampton has done in this short run with David Walkers work on the character. Specifically i can't help but wonder how Morgan Hampton was able to get away with what he has as far as driving the character forward while David Walker was ..... possibly run off from DC for doing the same thing. Was it that Hamptons approach was more subtle or stealthy? Is it a matter of a new editorial regime? Is it that Hampton didn't address the issue of removing Cyborgs face plate? Has enough time passed that DC is finally listening to fans? Have enough of the younger fans of Cyborg in Teen Titans come of age that they are expecting a different characterization of Cyborg that more closely resembles what they grew up seeing?

I found the artwork of Travis Mercer *smile inducing*. His artistic style is more to my liking and i've revisited his pages several times now. I'd love to see him continue on the title.

Is this issue perfect? No. I don't like the biker shorts on Cyborg lol. I...just don't get the appeal lol. A superhero in shorts ... eh. I've never had a problem with Cyborg on any team so this insistence that his being a Titan truly fulfills him (my words) is weird but .... it is what it is. I can live with it. Also it's not as though Cyborg is actually punching a lot of bad guys in the face in this issue. Travis Mercer's art makes it seem as though more is going on than there actually is to his credit. I'd actually prefer to see more hands on action from the character in future showings. Which makes me question whether there will be future issues as, even though this is issue 5 of 6 and didn't end like a finale, the message delivered in the final pages requires that Cyborg move forward as a more assertive hero that "stands tall with his shoulders back".

I don't trust DC, based upon their track record, to actually let that happen unfortunately.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

Still.... Morgan confirmed the characters confident and forward thinking life perspective i.e. no more "man vs machine angst" and confirmed that Cyborg could indeed alter any part of his body into anything (building on what David Walker and Semper Jr established). He can present himself as he chooses without limitations no matter how much some want him not to be able to. Those confirmations maintain the massive potential the character has and , in theory, limits those that want to prevent the character from evolving. Morgan wrote a Cyborg who is moving forward and that's why i've paid for the product. Give me more of this and i'll buy more.
    Last edited by Customizer; 12-04-2023 at 04:12 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.

I finally had an opportunity to read the latest issue of Cyborg and i must say ....

[B]I *SEE YOU* Morgan Hampton.
    Haven't gotten to the LCS for the newest issue yet but I feel ya. Hampton has really impressed me here. The quality of his craft might not be anything to write home about, but he's good and more than capable of stringing a plot together and keeping everyone's voice on point. Most importantly, he seems to have a vision for Vic that goes beyond recycling Wolfman's forty year old greatest hits.

As long as Hampton is writing Cyborg I'll be buying it. Still haven't heard anything about this mini getting extended though, which makes me sad. Still, I'm hoping it happens.

Was it that Hamptons approach was more subtle or stealthy? Is it a matter of a new editorial regime? Is it that Hampton didn't address the issue of removing Cyborgs face plate? Has enough time passed that DC is finally listening to fans? Have enough of the younger fans of Cyborg in Teen Titans come of age that they are expecting a different characterization of Cyborg that more closely resembles what they grew up seeing?
    I expect it's mostly the new editorial. These guys seem like they put a lot more value in the Titans roster than the previous owners/administrators did. Dick and Wally have both been handled with a lot of care and effort under Discovery, and Vic is getting treated better by DC than he has in....maybe ever?

The other elements you suggest might be factors too, though I don't see anything in Hampton's writing I would call 'subtle.' End of the day I don't really care what or who is behind this, as long as it keeps going and growing! Why, if Hampton gets to keep writing the character, in a year or three, Vic might have an actual mythos to call his own, instead of bits and pieces that we, as fans, can stitch together in our heads!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Part of the "ideal" with cybernetics is to have the person gain more than they lose. IRL it's not a reality, but in stuff like Robocop, Cyberpunk, Ghost in the Shell, and many others they explore how that works out in fiction.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Is it a matter of a new editorial regime?
    Oh boy, yes.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!